Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Pottsville Common (Yeungling Lager Attempt)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #141
shadows69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Getting ready to keg the first batch. This will be on tap for new years eve as I do this one every year for new years eve. By the time new years eve comes, I should be alittle over 7 weeks lagered. I still dont fully understand when going to the secondary in the lagering phase put it right in the keg. Anyone know if thats with co2 in the keg or not? I always transfer my lager into a carboy for min of 8 weeks unless I need it sooner. After 8 weeks or so I then keg it and pyt it on co2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #142
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If I lager in the keg I hook up the gas that way when it's done its ready to drink. Plus you can taste along the way to see how it's progressing.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 12-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #143
shadows69
Recipes 

Though so but wasnt sure. Thanks for clearing that up. I might have to try that. Sure would be one less step to do.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #144
cjbalough
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm considering the following extract recipe to get close, and welcome any comments/suggestions. Shooting for maybe just a bit "lighter" than the original with the syrup substitution and the crystal 60. Considering a small dry hop, just to use up the 1oz packages....I can buy Yeungling locally, so this is more of Yeungling as an inspiration than trying to replicate too close. This is my first attempt at a recipe.

5.5gal batch, 3.5 gal partial boil, 60 min boil, bottled spring water.

3.3 lbs breiss gold lme
1.0 lb breiss pilsen dme
2.5 lbs brewers corn syrup (2.5 lbs is the package size at LHBS)

.75lbs Crystal 60 (steep 20 mins ~150f in 1 gal water)

1/2 oz cluster @ 55 min
1/2oz cluster @ 35 min
1/3 oz cascade @ 20 min
1/3 oz cascade @ 5 min

(dry hop 1/3oz of cascade remaining?)

I plugged this into a free online recipe program and got 1.047 OG, IBU ~20, color ~8 SRM

yeast either Nottingham dry, or Wyeast 2112 ferment temp will be ~57-60 f

Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #145
shadows69
Recipes 

I would go with the Wyeast 2112. As for the rest, give it a try. New years eve I will be posting pics my results of my latest batch.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #146
cjbalough
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Does Munich add much to this? I see it added in one of the recipes and am wondering if my extract recipe should have a little bit? I have the rest of the ingredients, but need to stop by the lhbs in the next few days anyhow. Probably brew this in the next week or two, as I find time.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #147
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbalough View Post
Does Munich add much to this? I see it added in one of the recipes and am wondering if my extract recipe should have a little bit? I have the rest of the ingredients, but need to stop by the lhbs in the next few days anyhow. Probably brew this in the next week or two, as I find time.
Munich won't add anything unless you mash it as far as I know. It MAY add a small bit of color and/or body from starch (not residual sugars) but it is a base malt. I've never steeped a base malt. It seems like it could make a cloudy finished product.

That said, that's the beauty of homebrewing though. You can certainly try it and see what happens.

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #148
cjbalough
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What about using victory? Would that be better suited to a steep? I'm worried about my recipe needing some more malt flavor to keep it from being too "lite" bodied from the corn syrup...hope to brew this tomorrow evening. Plan on using 2112 yeast that I saved from a steam beer I moved to secondary about a week ago.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #149
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Victory will be a similar situation. If you can steep though you can mash. Search brew in a bag or biab. Deathbrewer has an excellent writeup on it that has turned many an extract brewer into stove top all grainers. Myself included. Check it out and see what you think. AG is much easier than many people think.

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #150
cjbalough
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks, I've read conflicting things on steeping these...I'm just going with what I have.... we'll see if its any good in 6 to 8 weeks.

Ended up changing the hops schedule after playing with brewers friend.
.5 oz cluster(7aa) @ 60
.5 oz cascade (6aa) @ 30
.33 oz cascade (6aa) @ 5
And did the 1lb of DME and the corn syrup as late additions, 3 gal boil. OG measured at 1.050 w/ 5.5 gal.
wyeast 2112, from the cake of a steam beer I racked last week...nervous about the yeast, as this is a first for me.

IBU should be 23 & color 8 to 10

Quick Reply