Altbier Ollie Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Im Fuchschen Brewery House Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Grain Bill:
15 lbs German Pilsner (88.2 %)
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) (5.9 %)
8.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) (2.9 %)
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (413.0 SRM) (2.9 %)
20.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)​

Hop Schedule
50g Magnum [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min - 28.8 IBUs
50g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min - 10.6 IBUs​

I've been to Dusseldorf many times and drank all of the alts there. This one is very tasty and I think a great example.

On my last trip there I made friends with one of the brewers at Im Fuchschen, and he took me on an extended tour / drinking part of the basement brewery. I came home with yeast, with which I made this beer. I think any malt-forward yeast would work (i.e., english yeasts).

Here's some pics and video from my last trip there: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/dusseldorf-altbier-brewery-visit-fuchschen-pics-youtube-282538/

2011-12-24_at_12_21_591.jpg

Alt is one of the next two on my list...ingredients are en route. I'm brewing a recipe very similar to the Cowboy Alt in Brewing Classic Styles.

Alt is one of the next two on my list...ingredients are en route. I'm brewing a recipe very similar to the Cowboy Alt in Brewing Classic Styles.

I might try that one myself. I was totally satisfied with my alt here, but I'll try one with munich next time. Although JZ uses munich, it wasn't on the grain bill at the brewery that I visited, and I was trying as much as possible to recreate that one.

So, did you brew your alt?

PP, what were your water numbers after the addition of the gypsum? Looking to do an Alt soon and your recipe looks good.

PP, what were your water numbers after the addition of the gypsum? Looking to do an Alt soon and your recipe looks good.

Water chemistry? I've never paid any attention. I usually add gypsum to hoppy beers, but honestly I don't know why. Water chemistry mostly remains a mystery for me; I do things by memory and not by understanding when it comes to that.

Looks great. After watching the videos (no sound I'm at work) I gotta give this a go. Do you reckon WLP029 would work well?

looks delicious, what i love about altbier is that it allows for great difference in
ingredients from basic munich malt to a variety of different malts. how did the chocolate wheat malt come into play? never thought about that in an alt

looks delicious, what i love about altbier is that it allows for great difference in
ingredients from basic munich malt to a variety of different malts. how did the chocolate wheat malt come into play? never thought about that in an alt

Sorry, didn't notice this post.

I'm into chocolate wheat for beers that I need color in, but don't want to add any roastiness. That's all I wanted it for, the color. Not sure it makes a difference which 400 SRM malt you use. Wheat doesn't have a husk (I don't think). That's important because I think some of the roastiness that barley malt has, when kilned, is the husk burning. I think wheat doesn't have that. It's all color and cocoa and no burnt.

Back