Oaked Amber Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmohno

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
safale 05 dry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
35-39
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 @65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n0
Tasting Notes
Nice oak mellow hop herbal citrus ,mellow grain flavor & aroma.Med bodied.Good lacing
#2 NB Organic Light LME
Mash: @155 deg.
.3#(3 oz) Marris otter
.12#(1.6oz)Belgium Biscuit
.1#(1.25oz)Gambrinus Honey Malt
.25#(4 oz)British Mild Ale malt
.1#(1.5 oz) Breiss Organic crystal 60 malt
.3#(4.75 oz) Breiss Organic 2 row pale malt
.2#(2.6 oz) /Weyerman Organic Vienna malt
.23#(3.3 oz) Organic Barley Flakes
Feel free to round up the grains-Its just exactly what I used.
HOPS:
.25 oz Organic NZ Saaz(7.3 %AAU)@60 min
.15 oz Organic German Hallertau(6.3%AAU)@20 min
.35 oz OrganicNZ Saaz" "@20 min
.3 oz combind each hop(I think-didnt write it down-sorry)@0
I used 1.1 oz hops total (mostly saaz)so i think i added aroma hops these both are good aroma hops.

.5 oz light american oak chips last 5 days of primary

I precooked Barley Flakes before the mash which may be optional.I added .5 oz of American oak chips preboiled in enough water to cover drained most of the water added to primary for the last 5 days before bottleing.This gave it a perfect oak flavor and aroma in my opinion,first time oaking and really impressed.I also used 2.6 oz dme to bottle.The oak, malt and mellow hops gave it a really good wow flavor that impresses me each time i drink it.It has a creamy head good lacing cleared very well,nice coppery amber color,nice sweet malt and oak aroma and flavor with a very mild citrus note maybe some herbal but the vanilla oak gave it a memerably good taste.Finished fairly clean barely dry and with a mild lingering oak essance.

I love vanilla but i brewed with them before(maybe of poor quality or something) but this really gave a vanilla flavor that i was looking for(sorry vanilla bean) I probably would oak a porter to get vanilla rather than use a bean, but maybe ill try a better bean next time.My Lhbs May have had old beans sitting around- i did notice they seemed like licorice when smelling them also were mushy when i split them not real experienced with vanilla beans though.

I think the color may have fit more into amber territory also, it looked darker than an 8 as suggested. Batch size was more like 1.5 gal total.

Heres a pic:- as a homebrewer this was truely my first very inspiring batch after many many batches-it finally happened! Im proud of conjuring this up myself as a new homebrewer-I hope you like it. I accidently learned some of my favorate malts through this. Absolutley perfect looking,my favorate color a copperish orange,just more beautiful in person.

0717011846.jpg

Been looking for an Amber Ale recipe for quite some time. I wanted to do something a little bit different, just didn't know what I was looking for. But I knew I would know it when I found it. This is just what I've been looking for. I think I'm going to look for some French oak to bring out a little more of the vanilla nuances you're talking about. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah this was barely a partial mash but the size makes it pretty easy(except maybe having these exact grains/hops on hand) and it gave a great taste and character.Im becoming a sucker for honeymalt and oak.Some people want honey but dont get it much from the real thing - but honeymalt does it for me and this oak was great with a vanilla type flavor, i havent used french oak and from what ive read before its different(but cant remember what it was about it that was different at the moment) so im not quite shure how that will play out.Im shure it would be good as well.I oaked my porter recently and was blown away how good it turned out.
I would like to hear how it turned out if you brew it.It works in a 2 gallon bucket/fermenter. I roughly get 16 beers.Im shure you could just scale this up doing a 5 gallon .This is basically a 1/3 of a 5 gallon batch. Probably works well in Mr.Beers and i think is close to the perfect size on those tap a drafts also.

Yeah. I think I'll be scaling up to 5 gallons. Might try to convert it to all grain as well. Probably looking at this weekend, so I'll def keep you posted.

So I finally got to brewing this on Sunday. After bouncing some ideas off my guy at the LHBS store, I went with the following:

8.5 lbs Pale Malt
1.0 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Carmel/Crystal 80 L
4 oz Victory
4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Flaked Barley

1 oz Cascade @ 45 min
1 oz N. Brewer @ 20 min
1 oz Mt. Hood @ 5 min
1oz N. Brewer @ flameout.

Wyeast Belgian Abby II

Fermenting at approximately 68 degrees. I don't have a fermentation chamber, but the wet t-shirt method usually keeps things pretty constant. Going to ferment about 4-5 days, move to clearing and let sit about another 7-10 days. Going to add 4 oz french oak, medium toast to secondary the last 4 days or so.

I'm wondering if I should have went with more Munich and less pale malt after comparing to other recipes. We'll see how it finishes.

You have a different beer here pretty much completly but sounds pretty good. I think a little munich goes better in pale ales.Vienna honey and buscuit malt are turning into my favorate malts after trying so many different malts in the last year.
The hops i used are nobel i think,but it is those i found very smooth mild unlike the american type-not that i dont like american hops.
You may get alot more of yeast character also from using that which i havent used abby II, the o5 showed the malt and hop character pretty cleanly.
Yours sounds interesting to brew and more of a belgian pale ale,i might have to try it. I havent used NB hops but i really like Mt hood,sounds like a good beer.

Accidental duplicate post. But do brew this,just multiply by 3, for a 5 gallon batch.

Back