Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Much Better Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #71
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I am drinking another one now and it just tastes mostly bitter to me . I am going to try the next one in a glass so as to allow all the flavors to come out . I notice a lot of beers taste much better after a good pour . Kind of like holiday ale . I hate it in a bottle but in a glass it is not bad stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #72
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I am drinking another one now and it just tastes mostly bitter to me . I am going to try the next one in a glass so as to allow all the flavors to come out . I notice a lot of beers taste much better after a good pour . Kind of like holiday ale . I hate it in a bottle but in a glass it is not bad stuff.
I didn't know that you were drinking the first few straight from the bottle. It will interesting to hear if drinking from a glass improves things.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #73
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 52

My bitter edge has softened really nicely after a few weeks in the keg. Now it has a very smokey flavor. I'd still back down on my hops ever so slightly but a very good beer

Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #74
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
I didn't know that you were drinking the first few straight from the bottle. It will interesting to hear if drinking from a glass improves things.
Most beers do taste better from a glass . I think the pouring lets loose flavors that are locked in . Like the head has that nice malty hop taste and aroma to it in the glass . Kind of like that draft beer in the bar . I bet if it was in a bottle instead of keg it would be horrible .
Also this beer has not had time to age properly I think . I bet it mellows out after a month or so more . But it will be drank up before that I bet .
I will update this evening after I dump in glass.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #75
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Well I am drinking one out of a glass with a good stiff pour . Nice head . Now that the head has mellowed down some it is ready to drink . So this one is a bit warm maybe 50-ish . Tastes much better as the name says . Less bitter which could also be compounded by not having so much trub mixing in it . If I was a fan of bitter I would like this .
I think I shall make some more soon and back off the bittering hops a bit .
All in all a very good beer. Good looking also . Nice amber color , clean looking with a nice cream colored head that hangs on the sides of the glass. Well that beer lasted me about 2 minutes . So, very drinkable also.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #76
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
Well I am drinking one out of a glass with a good stiff pour . Nice head . Now that the head has mellowed down some it is ready to drink . So this one is a bit warm maybe 50-ish . Tastes much better as the name says . Less bitter which could also be compounded by not having so much trub mixing in it . If I was a fan of bitter I would like this .
I think I shall make some more soon and back off the bittering hops a bit .
All in all a very good beer. Good looking also . Nice amber color , clean looking with a nice cream colored head that hangs on the sides of the glass. Well that beer lasted me about 2 minutes . So, very drinkable also.
The initial recipe I posted is the one I brew for my wife and friends that enjoy my home brew. Most of them are hop heads so when I brew a batch for me to drink I prefer to back the initial 1.0 oz of Centennial to 0.67-0.75 oz depending on the age of the hops.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #77
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Well one more review .
A nice cold one in the glass is very good indeed . I never drink bitter beers so the bitter was a bit strong for me but you know what , after I drank a couple of these I really like them . Just downed two of them . I will be making this again for sure .
thanks for the great recipe .

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #78
SwivelHips
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcclure View Post
So i did this yesterday. I substituted an oz of magnum for the 60 minute and an ounce of amarillo for the aroma. Can't wait!
My house amber is a recipe similar to this and last batch I FWH'd 1/2 oz of Magnum rather than the 1 oz Cascade I usually bitter with -- I agree that a full oz of Magnum is a bit hefty for this style. Turned out good but I'll probably go back to Cascade or try Centennial for bittering my next batch. I also like to use Saaz for flavour/aroma (1 oz total) and have typically used Wyeast 1007 and fermented pretty cool -- like sub-60 in some cases. 1007 is perfectly happy to do that. Then bottle conditioned at 70 for 3 weeks and then at the coolest temp I can find (typically mid-50s) for several more; really I'm lagering it.

Just some variations if any of you would like to try them.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #79
captainkirk83
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Recipe sounds good. On my to try list

Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #80
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I am drinking a MBA right now . Nice and hoppy and a little bitter . hell this one did not get capped off tight and is flat and it is still good .

Quick Reply