Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Much Better Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #61
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

my secondary is a 5 gallon bucket so that would be good for the 5 gallons of beer left after I draw off 1 gallon to dry hop with the fuggles . I am going to use Hallertauer Hersbrucker to dry hop the 5 gallons in secondary ( may toss some in my pilsner while I am at it . ) . Just do not want to leave it in primary since it would have a 1 1/2 gallon space full of air .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #62
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I brewed this one a few weeks ago, kegged it about two weeks ago and was letting it condition. Well, I had a keg kick, so this went on.

I had to swap out Falconer's Flight for the Centenniel, since my lhbs was out of Centenniel at the time, but wow, this is definitely going to be on full rotation at my house. This really hit me right in my wheelhouse of the perfet beer. Great Malty character you'd expect in an amber, with just enough hops to make you wonder if it's still in style.

Great beer, thanks for the recipe.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #63
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Good to hear that you enjoyed this recipe. I am going to try this with Falcon's Flight hops just to see how it compares to using Centennial.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #64
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Good to hear that you enjoyed this recipe. I am going to try this with Falcon's Flight hops just to see how it compares to using Centennial.
The Falconer's was recommended by my LHBS as a good substitute, since it's a mix and I believe Centennial is in that mix.

Either way, yeah, I'm going to brew this up again soon, but will definitely do it with Centennial to see how it compares.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #65
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What sort of water profile do you use to brew this? Do you add anything to your tap or start with RO and build up?

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #66
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
What sort of water profile do you use to brew this? Do you add anything to your tap or start with RO and build up?
I just used city tap and send it through a carbon block to remove chlorine. I haven't gotten into water profiles yet. Water quality is pretty good in the area, according to their report, except for a lot of Chlorine, so that's all I bother with at this time. I remember reading an article a few years ago about how Goose Island just used Chicago tap water, my source, and filtered out the chlorine as well. So, at this point I haven't really bothered with building water profiles.

Again, I just started all-grain though, so that may change over time. I'll probably send my filtered water out, to get a test done on it with a report to see how much of anything is still left in it this summer. For now though, everything seems to be working for me, so I don't want to change too much.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #67
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

When I brewed this orignal batch for this recipe I used tap water but now we live in a different town where we have very hard water so I use RO water with nothing else added. It comes out just fine.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #68
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

just drank a much better amber after almost 1 month in bottle . Pretty good I suppose . I do not know what ambers really taste like so I have nothing to compare it to . Taste a bit bitter . Other than that I can not tell but my taste buds do not work so good any more so a lot of them hop and malt flavors elude me unless they are strong . Not bad . I just put two more in the fridge and put the rest in a cold room to condition a bit . i kept them in a 72 degree room that hops up to 78 when the heater comes on for a bit for carbonation time . Works good for my ales .

Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #69
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
just drank a much better amber after almost 1 month in bottle . Pretty good I suppose . I do not know what ambers really taste like so I have nothing to compare it to . Taste a bit bitter . Other than that I can not tell but my taste buds do not work so good any more so a lot of them hop and malt flavors elude me unless they are strong . Not bad . I just put two more in the fridge and put the rest in a cold room to condition a bit . i kept them in a 72 degree room that hops up to 78 when the heater comes on for a bit for carbonation time . Works good for my ales .
Give this beer another month and some of the bitterness will mellow. Depending on your hop additions it may taste different 8 weeks after bottling compared to 4 weeks.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #70
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
According to Beersmith, this is towards the top end of IBUs for an Amber, but still well within style. As far as the taste goes, The Crystal and Amber malt in this should definitely come through on the palette. I think that's why I'm such a fan of ambers in general. I love that contrast between the malty smooth taste, with that hop finish to it.

I just had some friends tasting this last night. It was a huge hit and still not fully carbed yet. Getting there in the keg, but it takes time as I keep it at serving pressure for the other beers on tap. Anyways, yeah, I didn't expect this to get hit so hard, since it wasn't fully carbed yet, but alas, about half the keg was drank last night. So, I'm not the only one who thinks this tastes pretty good. I'll be buying the ingredients to brew this again over the weekend.

Quick Reply