Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Much Better Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #51
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

since I ferment in a bucket I can not see the krausen unless of course fermentation gores crazy and it blows out the air lock , what a pain in the ass. I then use my siphon tube with the air lock on the end or if it is too much I just put the tube into some water or beer . I do usually have some beer in a bottle to use for checking FG and it does show a bit of krausen .

My Much better amber is in the bottles and in another couple weeks I am hoping for something drinkable . how ever in my experience i like beers only after a couple months in the bottle .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #52
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I'm really pushing this batch along. Two weeks in the primary, cold crashed with gelatin for 24 hours. Keg tonight. Serve next Saturday. It will likely be a little raw I'm guessing. Still - it's beer.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #53
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcclure View Post
I'm really pushing this batch along. Two weeks in the primary, cold crashed with gelatin for 24 hours. Keg tonight. Serve next Saturday. It will likely be a little raw I'm guessing. Still - it's beer.
Let me know how it turns out. I usually go at least 3 weeks in the primary prior to kegging or bottling. Perhaps 2 weeks will be enough time.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #54
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The hydrometer taster is great. I upped the IBUs a little. My magnum stock is about a year old show i upped it 25%. It is pretty bitter. Tasty but not what my intended goal. That's the beauty of this hobby. I can brew it again, tweak it, and come up with something different. It's all beer! Thanks for the recipe!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #55
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I got as question about that 3 week fermentation . Does this not make the yeast die off ? Does it not run out of oxygen ?
Of course I guess if you are kegging this would not be a problem but what about us bottle carbers.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #56
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I got as question about that 3 week fermentation . Does this not make the yeast die off ? Does it not run out of oxygen ?
Of course I guess if you are kegging this would not be a problem but what about us bottle carbers.
I bottled beer for my first 3 years of brewing prior to kegging. I still bottle 50% of my beer that I give away and all of my fermentations go for a minimum of 3 weeks and most go for 4 weeks in order to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves. I picked this tip up from Revy and noticed that the quality of my brewing improved with 3-4 weeks of primary fermentation. I even will split a 6 gallon batch that has been in the primary 4 weeks into separate 3 gallons to keg and 3 gallons to bottle and both come out just fine.

After 3-4 weeks the yeast may go dormant for a bit of time if they are out of food but when you bottle adding the corn sugar provides the right amount of food to the right amount of yeast for carbonation. When I started brewing I subscribed the 2,2,2 method (2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, 2 bottle condition.) Now I usually do 4 weeks primary, skip the secondary and 3 weeks bottle condition.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #57
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I probably follow a similar schedule but do 3-4 weeks in primary then keg for 1-2 depending on my thirst. Oxygen isn't a big concern for the fermentation/carbonation steps. oxygen is important in the initial growth phase. Once you start fermenting sugar to alcohol and CO2, oxygen isn't part of the equation. In fact any oxygen around causes off flavors. A fresh source of sugar is important (priming sugar).

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #58
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

thanks mickaweapon I will give that a try next time .
thanks jsmcclure . that oxygen info is helpful as I thought it needed it all through the fermentation process . I think my beers would taste better if left longer in bucket . I usually leave them in bottles for a month or more after 3 weeks carbonation time anyway before I drink them . So it will not be any longer to drink time and my beer will settle out more and have less crap in the bottom of the bottle I recon.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #59
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I got a question about 3 week fermentation and dry hopping .
What do you guys think about leaving a muntons Canadian in for 3 weeks that i am going to dry hop . should I still dry hop after 5 - 7 days as is usual ?
Can I put it in secondary and achieve the same results as leaving in primary ? Reason being is I am going to remove 1 gallon of it to dry hop with a different hop than the other 5 gallons so I do not want to leave it in primary with all the ( 2 1/2 gallons ) of head space .

Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #60
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I got a question about 3 week fermentation and dry hopping .
What do you guys think about leaving a muntons Canadian in for 3 weeks that i am going to dry hop . should I still dry hop after 5 - 7 days as is usual ?
Can I put it in secondary and achieve the same results as leaving in primary ? Reason being is I am going to remove 1 gallon of it to dry hop with a different hop than the other 5 gallons so I do not want to leave it in primary with all the ( 2 1/2 gallons ) of head space .
How large is your carboy that you plan on using to secondary? Do you have any access to CO2 that would could push into the top of your carboy.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Quick Reply