Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Much Better Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #31
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sud-Paw View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. I think the citrus came from the Cascade addition at flame out.

I am not a huge fan of too much citrus either, and I will be tweaking the recipe for next time. Possibly moving the last hop addition back to 5 minute, like the original recipe called for. Or choose a different hop for the flame out addition.

This hobby is such a shaky science that any one thing can change the final product real quick, as I'm learning after each brew

Cheers
Oh well I hope citrusy is tasty as I made the stuff last night . The wort tasted very good and hoppy . Did not notice the citrus then but who knows after fermentation . I will taste again then and decide how long I want it to sit in the bottles . I have found that some really bad tasting beer gets much better after a few months in the bottle . I hope that works for my muntons wheat that I added in a lot of very strong tasting honey and the beer just came out with a bad flavor which is actually from the honey I think .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #32
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sud-Paw View Post
Markus

Victory would give a good biscuit flavor, but I think that amber and victory are similar in that they both give a biscuit dimension to your beer.

Anyone, please correct me if that's not accurate.

Das
We shall find out as I used 6 ounces of victory . wort was not real sweet as with my brown ales I normally make which taste like sugar . The OG was 1.063 and had a nice flavor . My pre boil hop addition sat in the wort for about 3 hours because the filter was clogged in my tun and ran very slowly so that may have added to big hop flavor and bitter.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
We are on the better better amber . Sud-Paw said his came out citrusy . The hops used are all hops that have this characteristic so I am interested in which addition is actually more responsible for citrus taste in this brew .
If I am right , not that I know much about this , it would not be the ones boiled for long times as that would make more bitter to cover up the citrus . So I guess it would be the .5 oz cascade for 10 minutes or the flame out cascade .

One more question . How much mash water and sparge water do I use for this ?

Here is the original and modified recipe :

much better amber ale

7.5 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5 lbs Munich
1.5 lbs Crystal 60L
4-6 oz Amber Malt --- (optional if you want to add a bisquit flavor and darker color)

( .5 oz fuggles pre boil addition ) added recipe for better better amber )

1.0 oz Centennial (60 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (10 min)

0.5 oz Cascade (5 min) ---( flame out for better better )

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast or US-05 dry yeast

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes.
I mash in with 3.5 gallons of water at 165 F for an hour. I then do 2 sparges of 2 gallons each at 168 F.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 55

So i did this yesterday. I substituted an oz of magnum for the 60 minute and an ounce of amarillo for the aroma. Can't wait!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Default What ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcclure View Post
So i did this yesterday. I substituted an oz of magnum for the 60 minute and an ounce of amarillo for the aroma. Can't wait!
Just great . where were you with this grand idea the other day before I brewed mine ?
Just my luck .. A day early and few hops short.

the magnum may be the trick here . It seems that it is very good for bittering . the amarillo is interesting with the spicy orange bouquet character

Judging by the taste of my wort I would say that I am going to have a very tasty beer . How ever I may try your version next time .
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #36
Kapoor
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hello all,

First off congratulations Mick!

Secondly I don't know if this is a stupid question, but what %AA where your hops in the original recipe posted for the Much Better Amber? Do you find that it makes much of a difference? Because I got some Cascade in the freezer that's 9.1% and I know this won't make much of a difference due to the timing of the additions, but what about the Centennial hops? I find that the hops supplied at my LHBS tend to be on the higher of the %AA.

I can't wait to try this recipe!

Primary #1: nothing
Secondary #1: nothing
On Tap:
Bottled:
In Mind: Belgium Triple; Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout; White House Honey Brown; Much Better Amber

Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #37
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapoor View Post
Hello all,

First off congratulations Mick!

Secondly I don't know if this is a stupid question, but what %AA where your hops in the original recipe posted for the Much Better Amber? Do you find that it makes much of a difference? Because I got some Cascade in the freezer that's 9.1% and I know this won't make much of a difference due to the timing of the additions, but what about the Centennial hops? I find that the hops supplied at my LHBS tend to be on the higher of the %AA.

I can't wait to try this recipe!
There are no stupid questions when it comes to brewing our own beer (unless you count the typical questions I get from my neighbors, Is it safe to drink? Can you make Budweisser or maybe Coors light?)

I use Centennial at 9.2% and Cascade at 5.5% this gives about 40 IBUs. Your 9.1 cascade will give 44 IBUs. This will also put it just outside the recommended IBU range for American ambers, which is ok. You could use the 9.1 casade and just add the first addition at 6-7 min and the second at 1-3 minutes.

Hope this answers your question.

I also do a version that is all cascade for lower IBUs for less hoppy drinkers.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Kapoor Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #38
Kapoor
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey thanks for getting right back to me, I'm actually about 10minutes away from the boil.

I ended up with some Centennial @ 10.5%AA and lucky for me I have a digital scale. So I'll just use 0.876 oz Centennial and 0.6oz Cascade, divided in to portions of course.

Thanks again

Primary #1: nothing
Secondary #1: nothing
On Tap:
Bottled:
In Mind: Belgium Triple; Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout; White House Honey Brown; Much Better Amber

Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #39
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Hope it goes well for you. How long do you plan to ferment this brew?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #40
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Mickaweapon ;
When you get that Bud and Coors Light recipe figured out please send it to me so I can deposit it in the proper receptacle out by my curb.

thank you

Quick Reply