Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Much Better Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #141
Likefully
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

image-79619828.jpg

This is very similar to the original recipe on this thread. Just bottled. I am excited to see how it comes out as it tasted good. 20l in the bottle. 5.9%.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #142
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likefully View Post
Attachment 159767

This is very similar to the original recipe on this thread. Just bottled. I am excited to see how it comes out as it tasted good. 20l in the bottle. 5.9%.
Please let me know how this tastes once its has been bottled conditioned. If you have any suggestions on changes to make on it I would love to hear about them.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #143
Likefully
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Please let me know how this tastes once its has been bottled conditioned. If you have any suggestions on changes to make on it I would love to hear about them.
After looking at your recipe again I am not sure how close it is! But here goes:

5.5 kg Pale Malt
300 g Munich
300g Crystal - was told it is 80L
300g Biscuit

15g Southern Passion at 65 minutes
10 g fuggles at 25 minutes
11g southern passion and 14g cascade at flameout (unusual numbers because i just used what i had left).

Southern Passion is a South African hop.

I used S-05 (which has earned my respect as a fine yeast).

My mash schedule is designed around my equipment rather than science! So I mashed with 25L at 67 celsius for an hour, then sparge for 10 minutes with 10L also at 67. I put just over 30L in the pot and boiled it down to 24L into the fermenter - it was a bit longer than an hour but i think the hop schedule above is accurate. I get about 21L into bottles.

I don't have an immersion wort chiller so I put the hot wort into the fermenter (plastic carboy) and then put that into cold water - but it takes about 8 hours to reach pitching temperature.

I pitched on 4/Nov/2013 and bottled on 12/Nov/2013 - the rush is because the beer is for a party on 14/Dec/2013.

I sampled it last night with family. It is AWESOME.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #144
newhouse18
Recipes 

Hey Mick,
I'm totally new to brewing, started earlier this year and I did the original AG recipe you posted as my 4th batch I've ever done. It was my best batch yet, simply amazing! I shared it with as many people as I could, even flew to Chicago with some bottles and everyone loved it. Thanks so much for posting it!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #145
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhouse18 View Post
Hey Mick,
I'm totally new to brewing, started earlier this year and I did the original AG recipe you posted as my 4th batch I've ever done. It was my best batch yet, simply amazing! I shared it with as many people as I could, even flew to Chicago with some bottles and everyone loved it. Thanks so much for posting it!
I am glad to know that so many other brewers are enjoying this recipe and I hope to hear back from others on new versions or how the original recipe is working for them. I do plan on trying a different version of this after the start of the new year (once my back heals and I can lift heavier weights like a full mash tun) where I will be adding most of the hops at 10 minutes or less to give this a hop burst effect. I plan on increasing the amount of hops used to keep the IBUs close to the original intented level.

Glad your beer came out well and I hope your next brew session produces an even better success,

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #146
Likefully
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have made two batches in which i slightly adapted the original recipe and both have been awesome.

I have just bottled the third batch, but instead of using crystal malt I used Munich (supply issues). Also I replaced the half the biscuit malt with Melanoidin Malt (supply issues too). The mash was long and thin (long story) before doing a hotter sparge.

I am not entirely sure if this still qualifies as an american amber, but it is so ridiculously nice I had to share it!

Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 AM   #147
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I am brewing another batch of this tomorrow. This has become the staple on my tap and all my friends usually request this as their first glass. A lot of them are BMC drinkers as well, so take that at what it's worth. This is a great intro, imo, for friends who wouldn't normally go for homebrew.

Anyways, over the past year or so, I've kind of adapted this slightly to my own tastes. It's definitely still the basic recipe, I've just added a bit to adjust for the 6 gallons I usually brew.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast US-05
Yeast Starter: not with dry yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.0
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 40
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 65 F
Additional Fermentation: N/A
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Tasting Notes: A little more Toasty than the original, but I like that, gives a nice contrast to the hops for this style.

8.5lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5 lbs Munich
1.5 lbs Crystal 80L
8 oz Amber Malt (I like the toasty flavor this adds, it goes nice with the hops)
8 oz CaraPils (Edit, sorry, missed putting this in first go around)
1.0 oz Falconers 7Cs (60 min) (this switch came mostly from my LHBS always being out of Centennial when I first started brewing this)
0.6 oz Cascade (10 min)
0.6 oz Cascade (5 min) (the additional hops is to keep it at 40 IBUs for the 6 gallon batch, almost perfect balance, imo)
US-05 dry yeast

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes. (I switched this up as well, just because I found over time, I prefer the slightly dryer finish I get at 152.

I by no means claim this one for myself, I always credit msa for this one whenever anyone asks. I can't thank you enough for the base of this recipe. I'm a huge Amber fan and have yet to find a commercial version I like as well as this one.

Untappd Username: Clonefan94

Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #148
alewhatcuresyou
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I followed this recipe to the letter and am now enjoying the first bottles after three weeks of conditioning. Really nice beer thanks for sharing the recipe.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #149
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewhatcuresyou View Post
I followed this recipe to the letter and am now enjoying the first bottles after three weeks of conditioning. Really nice beer thanks for sharing the recipe.
Glad to hear it came out well for you. I made my 20th batch of this over the weekend in order to serve at a burthday party in early May. I think it is a good all year long beer to have on tap.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 04-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #150
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
So my wife has developed a taste for beers that use hop bursting techniques of adding the majority of hops at 15 minutes or less. Since I don't teach on Monday I decided alter my original recipe to moving most of the hop additions to 10 min or less.
I am curious to hear from brewers that have made their own version of this recipe what they think of this change.

Hop Burst Much Better Amber
8 lbs Vienna malt (or Pale malt)
2 lbs Munich malt
8 oz Caramunich malt
8 oz crystal 80 L
4 oz crystal 120 L
0.5 oz centennial hops 60 min
0.5 oz centennial hops 10
1 oz cascade hops 10 min
1.0 oz cascade hops 5 min
1.0 oz centennial hops 5 min
1.0 oz cascade hops 0 min
US-05 yeast
I've thought about trying this with boosting a hops a bit and dry-hopping. Anyone ever dry-hopped this with some cascade?

Untappd Username: Clonefan94

Quick Reply