American Amber Ale Motueka Amber Ale (Sommergarten)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
4 or 5 (see note)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
15L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks
Tasting Notes
Summertime Amber Ale based upon Uinta\\'s SUM\\'R but darker & with different hops
Sommergarten is my nickname for this beer because its based upon Uinta Brewing's SUM'R ale

Fermentables
7lbs Belgian 2 Row
1.5lbs Crystal 60L
12oz Torrified Wheat
6oz Biscuit

Hops*
0.5oz Motueka (7.4%AA) @ 60 minutes
0.5oz Motueka (7.4%AA) @ 40 minutes
0.35oz Motueka (7.4%AA) @ 20 minutes
0.35oz Motueka (7.4%AA) @ 5 minutes
0.3oz Motueka (7.4%AA) @ flameout
1oz Strisselspalt (2.3%) @ flameout

Misc
Irish Moss

Mash
Rests at
125F for 30 minutes
149F for 60 minutes
mashout at 168F

Boil
90 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III

Notes
This was originally intended to be a sessionable 5 gallon beer with a 60 minute boil. I screwed up the mash by way overshooting my 149F rest. I added ice to cool it off and got worried that I added too much water so I extended the boil to 90 minutes and ended up a gallon short.

It still works great as a higher strength amber. The Motueka hops come across as spicy and limey. The Strisselspalt increases the overall apparent hoppiness of the beer.

Also, the beer is a little bit darker than it appears in the picture. I was trying to get it against a white background and the sunlight bleached out the colors a little.

*Hops - The Strisselspalt isn't necessary. But I needed to kill off an ounce that was getting rather old.

amber-ale.jpg

I've been thinking about the yeast I used some more:

London Ale III is a low attenuating yeast. Even though this beer got 70% attenuation with a 149F mash, a stout I used it in got 60% attenuation with a 154F mash.

I'm thinking the next time I brew with London Ale III, I'm going to mash at 145F to help ensure I get good attenuation.

I will be trying this next, I kept the grain bill the same but modified the hop additions to match my tastes. Staying with Motueka though, just did a light ale with honey malt using Motueka that worked really well.

Back