Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > Kaiser Alt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #71
lockwom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just thought I'd share, I've had this naturally carbonating in the keg for quite some time and just sampled it with some friends. The 1007 is spectacular with this grain bill; this is definitely one of my favorite ambers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #72
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
I don't know where he is getting this from. Narziss, German commercial brewing author, mentions that some Alts are brewed from 90% light malt (Pilsner) and 10% Carmel malt (120 EBC). A while ago a very knowledgeable member of a German home brewing forum (at the time he was an apprentice in an Alt brewery) mentioned that the famous Altbier brewery Zum Uerige is brewing their Alt with pilsner, crystal and roasted malts.

How many Alts are using crystal malts, I don't know. But it is definitely not out of style.

Designing Great Beers is a great book to get started. But it's only that in my opinion. The fact that he bases his recipe suggestions on home brewer's interpretations of the style is a major flaw in my eyes. A style should not be defined by the way home brewers interpret it but by the way it is brewed in the country of origin. At least for the traditional styles.

Kai
Damn straight and American brewery interpretations of German beers should be taken out or the example part of the style guidelines. Great Lakes dortmunder gold is no dortmunder.

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #73
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdrumin View Post
I had an Alt made by Terrapin that I really enjoyed. So I researched the Alt style some more and with some inspiration from the great Kaiser and his Alt in the recipes forum, I came up with this recipe. I'm still pretty new to doin PM with a few under my belt, so I'm a bit unsure about mash temps and water volume for sparge. I do have a calc for temps and volumes for strike water, but nothing for sparge. I was also considering different yeasts. Kaiser recommended wyeast 1007, I've also seen wlp036 used as well. Any suggestions? I was also thinking about adding a half pound or so of carapils. The guy at my LHBS said he always brews with at least a half a pound. He feels it really makes a very nice, long lasting head. I was thinking about fermenting on the low end at 65*F until fermentation is done, then to a secondary for cold conditioning. From what I've heard an Alt benefits from a good cold condition. Any idea how long and what temp? I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks a ton in advance.

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Düsseldorf Altbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5%
IBU (tinseth): 39.72
SRM (morey): 15.65

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen - (late addition) (43.2%)
2 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen (21.6%)
2 lb - German - Munich Light (21.6%)
1 lb - German - CaraMunich I (10.8%)
4 oz - German - Carafa II (2.7%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Spalt, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 19.43
1 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 12.33
1 oz - spalt, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.96

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 6 qt
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 6 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast WLP029
Starter: 2L
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 65 - 69 F
I just posted this in the recipes forum and got no response, so now I'm posting this here. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the noob questions as well I'm still very new with making recipes and the mash process. Thanks!

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged: House APA, Vienna Lager
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Maple Pecan Porter, House Amber Ale, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #74
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdrumin View Post
I just posted this in the recipes forum and got no response, so now I'm posting this here. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the noob questions as well I'm still very new with making recipes and the mash process. Thanks!
I think that looks pretty good! However, I think the kaiser is making beers that are more authentic than a lot of American breweries. I'm not sure about terrapin (I've heard good things) but I have yet to find an American microbrewed lager and pseudo lager I think tastes authentic.

If you like the terrapin id email them and just ask. I hate to see questions unanswered, so I did my best. I know Kai is a busy man Either way the beer looks good to me. Ive not done any partial mash but I understand the principals and it looks like a good all grain approximation.

Prost

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

JPrather Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #75
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstone View Post
I think that looks pretty good! However, I think the kaiser is making beers that are more authentic than a lot of American breweries. I'm not sure about terrapin (I've heard good things) but I have yet to find an American microbrewed lager and pseudo lager I think tastes authentic.

If you like the terrapin id email them and just ask. I hate to see questions unanswered, so I did my best. I know Kai is a busy man Either way the beer looks good to me. Ive not done any partial mash but I understand the principals and it looks like a good all grain approximation.

Prost
Thanks!! I actually finally had someone respond to my other thread. From what I understand my recipe was just about dead on with a few tweaks I had something that could be very authentic, with the help of the great Kai. I totally understand he's a very busy man. I do understand what he makes is probably way more authentic than anything in the us. Which is EXACTLY what I was wanting. I find myself liking more and more of the European style brews that don't use a lot of crystal and let the much better aromas of different malts shine through. I have been trying a lot more imports, with the help of a co-worker from the UK, and I am very pleased with the European styles. Don't get me wrong, I love plenty of American styles, but trying some imports made me fall in love with more traditional "old" style of brewing.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged: House APA, Vienna Lager
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Maple Pecan Porter, House Amber Ale, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #76
blackspider
Recipes 

Default Partial Mash altbier

looking for a partial mash recipe for Kaiser Alt. New to putting together recipes, still in the learning process.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #77
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A buddy and i brewed this exactly one week ago. Everything went as planned. I pitched a one liter starter of wy1007 into about 68° / 1.045 wort. It fermented like a badass for several days at 64°. Upon opening the fermenter for a gravity reading today, I found it like this. It appears from the ring that the cap has fallen back but yet there's still this layer on top. I don't have experience with this strain. Is this expected? I plan to follow Kai's instructions for fining, but not without consistent SG readings. Today's reading was ~1.013. Right on track with the recipe. I'll check again tomorrow. Taste is good with a dry body and a good malt and roast flavor. Great recipe!

1390609429434.jpg  

Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #78
adrock430
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Give the bucket a couple twists. Sometimes the yeast stick together in the krausen and won't fall out until its broken up.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #79
DRonco
Recipes 

I'll give it shot. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #80
DRonco
Recipes 

FTR, that worked. Thank you. Any suggestions on how long the gelatin should sit? Two weeks?

Quick Reply