Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > Kaiser Alt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #51
NeverSober
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So after intense consideration, and completely unable to find a dopplesticke or sticke recipe I have decided to double this recipe. Ive got 14lb Munich, 4oz carafa, 1lb 8oz caramunich and 4oz spalt for fwh or 60min. I'm thinking about doing a open fermentation inside a sanitized kegerator. I have lots of Pacman yeast which I usually work with. 55ibu 28srm and 7.9abv. I would like to ferment at 60 however the warmest the kegerator runs is at 55. What do you think about this attempt at a double alt? Hate it or love it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #52
Sudz
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Just bottled my efforts with this one. The mash schedule went as planned and hit my numbers. I made a starter with the 1007, oxygenated, and fermented at 67*F. Initial fermentation was very strong, overflowing my 1 gal water trap via my blow off hose, more so than any other ferment I've had.

Moved to secondary at 7 days, added gelatin and cold crashed at 14 days... but failed to check my gravity!! I know, I was warned by Kaiser... dumb, dumb, dumb. Caught up in my own bad habit.

Anyway at about day 21 the brew is crystal clear and I go to bottle... surprise... FG of 1.022! Ouch!!!

Backed out of bottling, added a small amount of Nottingham and returned to 67*F. A week later I'm at 1.009 and holding so I go ahead and bottle. The only downside is this stuff looks like muddy water but I believe it will settle out during conditioning. Does taste great for a green beer I might add.

Why am I exposing my dirty laundry one might ask?

The 1007 apparently does finish slower than most ale yeast I've used so when Kaiser tells you to verify the fermentation completion.. he ain't kiddin'.

Lesson learned....

Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #53
fxdrider
Slightly Better than Mediocre Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSober View Post
So after intense consideration, and completely unable to find a dopplesticke or sticke recipe I have decided to double this recipe.
I had the same thought recently, but instead of doubling the amounts, I was going to try a 50% increase and see how that went. Have you tried your recipe yet? I'd be interested in hearing how yours turns out.
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit!

Trinken Sie das Bier, das hat Sie gebraut!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #54
helgibelgi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just brewed this. 3 weeks or so since bottling. I really like this beer, it's like nothing else I have ever tasted. Maybe that's because I'm very new to homebrewing. It tastes kind of fruity, malty but more to the dry side than sweet (sometimes a little syropy-like flavor). The hops are very nice balanced (I used Saaz). Very little head. Looks like cognac, dark red-brownish and clear.

My fermentation temps were high though: around 20-21°C or around 68-70 fahrenheit (ambient temp). Do you think this changed alot? I read on the manufacturer's website that this yeast, 1007, shouldn't produce much off flavor even in high temps. Next time I will control the temps better.

Thank you, Kaiser, for an awesome recipe and instructions!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #55
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have a half gallon starter going for my brewday on Tuesday! Looking forward to this beer. Had a GREAT altbier at Titletown Brewery in Green Bay this past weekend.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #56
dawgmatic
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth
I have a half gallon starter going for my brewday on Tuesday! Looking forward to this beer. Had a GREAT altbier at Titletown Brewery in Green Bay this past weekend.
I love titletowns Alt! It's really dark for the style though

On a side note, it appears the NB now has an Alt kit that is quite similar to kaisers grain bill. Minus the carafa with some pale wheat an cararoma

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...grain-kit.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #57
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmatic View Post
I love titletowns Alt! It's really dark for the style though
I think they have some of the most solid brews I have had. Have not been disappointed yet. I'm not one for IPAs, either, but their Hopasaurus Rex is fantastic.

As for my version of Kaiser Alt, I was pressed for time, so I did a no sparge 3 gallon batch. I over compensated for the loss in efficiency by upping the base malt a bit...ended up at 1.060 OG. I still got good attenuation, it was down to 1.009 last I checked a couple days ago. Not too sure what to call it now.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #58
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I have brewed variations of this recipe before with good results. Yesterday I went at it again, this time by the book. Built up a starter of 1007, and followed the mash schedule as closely as possible. Nailed my OG of 1.046.

It's fermenting away at 67 deg. Can't wait to crack open the first one maybe 2 months from now!

Thanks Kaiser for the recipe and for all of your shared knowledge!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #59
lockwom
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Kai,

Your original recipe includes both chalk and baking soda. I'm interested in brewing this beer as closely as I can, but instead using only pickling lime to increase alkalinity, keeping sodium levels significantly lower. This chalk approach generally follows the advice of Martin Brungard, and I think even derives from some of your experiments regarding solubility of chalk.

Do you stand by that water profile, including the high levels of sodium? Or would you change anything?

I'm leaning toward an "Amber Malty" profile like Brunwater, when comparing your previous chloride and sulfate levels.

55 ppm Ca, 5 ppm Mg, 10 ppm Na, 55 ppm SO4, 65 ppm Cl, enough bicarbonate to reach a reasonable mash pH. You recommend a slightly higher mash pH (5.5-5.6) given the decoction mashout, correct? Or since this is a double-infused decoction, 5.4 would be reasonable? This differs significantly from your recipe, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

I didn't want to PM you in case other people were wondering the same things.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #60
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Just kegged my latest batch of this last night. It was pretty clear, but not as much as I'd like. I think a week in the keg should take care of that.

Smelled and tasted awesome! Can't wait till its carbed up.

Thanks again Kaiser!

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Quick Reply