Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > Kaiser Alt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #41
meister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
used this recipe mostly, especially the single decoction part (my first), though i change the grainbill to half munich, half pils and i dont have access to carafa so used chocolate instead. just tasted one after 6 days (i always have to have one per week after.. ) i can tell already it will likely be the best beer ive made so far. thanks!

Half pils, half munich here too,
my hydro sample tasted wonderful today day 6, kinda bitter, But wl036 sweet taste, I cant wait,...I dont like carafa so i used 4oz chocolate wheat, and i can taste it in the sample.
I did 118deg. 20 minutes, infusion 147 for 25 min. 154 for 25 min. then mashed out at 168. first step mash for me, i think it will pay off,,, also fwh with mt-hood/spalt mix, Im certain this to be my best ever, this style is great....good luck with yours

Time for a 2 below clone...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #42
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4615 Times on 4518 Posts
Likes Given: 2143

Brewing this today and did my first decoction as instructed here and followed the mash schedule to a T. Worked out perfectly so far. I had to throw on a little tradition with the spalt since the only spalt I had were very low alpha% so I kicked it with just 3/4 oz of tradition for a 14.5 gal batch.

The decoction was way easier than I anticipated even after I had watched Kai's youtube vids.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #43
hollywoodbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay, three weeks in and looks like the FG is around 1.010. I used WLP029 and this is the clearest beer I have ever made! I won't be needing the gelatin addition. I think I used the wrong yeast, I guess WLP036 is the proper equivalent to WY1007. It's still very sweet and malty like a brown ale. I wonder if I let it sit another week if it will get any drier?

I think next time I'll adjust the Cl-SO4 ratio in the water profile to subdue the malt a bit more.

On Deck: Wee Heavy, Special Bitter
Fermenting: Maibock
Conditioning: Pilsner 66, Pottsville Common
Drinking: Pilsner, West Coast IPA, Celebration Ale, Dunkel Very Much

Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #44
JagCrusher
Recipes 

Sorry, newbie question please ...

What would be the best dry yeast for this recipe?

Thanks!

(Oh, and Kai, many thanks for braukaiser.com... an amazing repository of great info!)

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #45
Sudz
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Forgive my ignorance but I'm attempting to reproduce Kai's water recommendations and I'm a tad confused on the amount of water involved.

I think I understand he is putting 400mg of NaCl into 30L of RO water along with the other mineral amounts as well...

So his mineral quantities are utilized with 30L and I should scale as required for my needs?

Is this a correct understanding?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #46
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, I believe he's treating 30L (8 gal.), which would likely be 4 gal. strike water and 4 gal. sparge water for a 5.5 gal. batch. He specifies 0.8g NaCl, which would be 800mg not 400mg.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #47
Sudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltrego View Post
He specifies 0.8g NaCl, which would be 800mg not 400mg.
Thanks for the response.

I guess I'm looking at the wrong data?? I see .4g NaCl on his list for WATER. Where are you seeing the .8g NaCl? I'm not trying to be picky, I just want to insure I'm using the correct data.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #48
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
Thanks for the response.

I guess I'm looking at the wrong data?? I see .4g NaCl on his list for WATER. Where are you seeing the .8g NaCl? I'm not trying to be picky, I just want to insure I'm using the correct data.
Hmm, I was looking at the recipe page: Kaiser Alt - German brewing and more, which shows:

30L (assuming 25L (6.25 gal) pre-boil volume) reverse osmosis water +

0.8g NaCl (table salt)
0.6g MgSO4 (epsom salt)
1.8g NaHCO3 (baking soda)
4.0g CaCO3 (chalk)

(58mg/L Ca; 3mg/L Mg; 32mg/L Na; 10mg/L SO4; 21mg/L Cl; 150mg/L HCO3)

Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #49
Sudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltrego View Post
Hmm, I was looking at the recipe page: Kaiser Alt - German brewing and more, which shows:
Looks like we're both correct.

I'm looking at this recipe as posted under "hybrid ambers" in the forum recipes and for some reason the minerals specified for the water are different from those shown on the website you referenced. Puzzling since the article and recipe appear to be the same.

Thanks for the web reference. I've only glanced at the mineral bill for the water so I think I'll go through this to see if there are any other discrepancies. I may drop Kai a note to clarify this for myself as well as others.

Thanks....

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #50
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Hmm, I didn't notice that before....all of the salts on this recipe page are half of what they are on his website...

Quick Reply