Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > Kaiser Alt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd mash at 148-150f

As for the yeast. I only have experiences with 1007. But don't get hung up on attenuation numbers. Make sure the wort has an attenuation limit of about 80-83% and that your fermentation gets within 0-2% of that. That will give the beer the desired dryness.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Any suggestions on a possible substitute for the Carafa II?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #23
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made a huge mistake when ordering this... I accidentally ordered Weyermann Pilsner instead of the Light Munich I.

Other than a little on the color side (12 SRM) - do you know of much this will effect flavor? Note, I bought this on BMW and they ship crushed and mixed... do you think I should add a bit more Carafa II (3 oz) to get the color right (16 SRM) or a 1lb of Light Munich? OR maybe a longer decoction boil?

NOTE: I have the order on hold with BMW...

Primary: always something...

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Last edited by jtlawlor; 01-26-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Kai and others:

Just got finished brewing this today! Brew day went well.

This was my decoction method (5gal with 10.6lb of grain): I doughed in with 3.3gal for 20mins at 132 [Protein] .. then I added another 1.7 gal of boiling water, held temp of 153 for 45 more mins. [Sac. Rest] Then I removed 1.5 gal of mash and brought that to a boil for 20mins. Returned this to the mash - and then mashed out. I batch sparged with another 3.5 gal of 175 water to get my desired boil amount.

Sooooo... this is my first decoction does the above procedure seem correct?

One other note: 2 hop additions (1oz. Spalt at 60 and again at 15)
Doughed in at 2pm - pitched at 6pm... now the waiting! I am REALLY looking forward to this one! Thank you very much for the recipe.

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Last edited by jtlawlor; 02-07-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #25
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts

For competitions sake would you call this a 7a or 7c? I followed your recipe, except I did a 20min spalt addition (38ibu total).

And what is the preferred carbonation level, i've read moderately high. Maybe 2.6 to 2.8 or so?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #26
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
For competitions sake would you call this a 7a or 7c? I followed your recipe, except I did a 20min spalt addition (38ibu total).

And what is the preferred carbonation level, i've read moderately high. Maybe 2.6 to 2.8 or so?
Like many other German beers 2.5 vol CO2 should work fine for carbonation. I never really played with that. But a bit higher may bring out the crispness in the beer.

Kai

Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #27
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

So I am trying the bottling with the krauesened beer (the gravity dropped to 1.020 so I also added 1.5oz of sugar boiled in 1c of water.) - my question is, does bottling with the krauesened (cloudy) beer make a difference in the overall clarity of the beer?

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 03-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #28
petergriffen
Recipes 

If I was kind of lazy and about to attempt my first stove top all grain what exactly do I need to order for this?? As in amounts to make a 5G batch.

Thanks and I'll learn soon.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #29
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Sooooo, a week later I decided to try one of the bottles... big butterscotch flavor. GRRRR. I fermented this at around 60 for 1week and then lagered for 2wks at 50 and below. My guess is that I should have had a Diacetyl rest (68 degrees) for a couple day after primary fermentation.

I am hoping that a couple weeks in bottle will help... as it did with another brew I made a couple months ago.

Other than that - crystal clear amber beer with great flavor.

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #30
Mateo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright! I am brewing this one up this weekend. Cannot wait.

m.

Quick Reply