Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > Kaiser Alt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Yes, I did use the 1007 yeast. I do have a cold house, though, and the fermentation went very well at approx 62 degrees. Then I moved it to my laundry room in the low 50s, and it was clear as a bell. It looks very much like the picture you posted. It's a bit early for a beer now (even for me) so if I remember after work tonight, I'll post a picture. I guess with all that munich malt, I was surpised at the relatively thin body. It is very drinkable, though, and well liked by everyone who has tried it. I think I would like it a bit more towards "medium body" and when I make it again might mash a wee bit higher.

The OG was 1.049, FG 1.012. IBUs calculated at 25 in Beersmith.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
uwmgdman

Recipes 

I'm heading to the LHBS this afternoon and brewing this on Saturday. I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for the recipe.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Kaiser--

I've read/heard conflicting thoughts about the use of Caramunich in alts. I know Jamil uses it, but in "Designing Great Beers" Ray Daniels talks about how he found no commercial breweries that used any type of crystal in this style. It seems like a good idea though since high attenuation is a goal for this style it would be good to have some unfermentables in there to help balance it out.

I know you have a lot of knowledge about German beers--what is your understanding about crystal in "authentic" alts?

Last edited by maltMonkey; 04-23-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this one yesterday. The only change was to add 0.3 oz of magnum to bump up the IBUs. It was my first decoction, I pulled a little more from the mash than I calculated since I always seem to be low after infusions... and it worked. I hit the mashout to the degree. All said, it was fun, but I came in way high on the SG 1.060. I am afraid it will not be as sessionable as I had hoped.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey View Post
but in "Designing Great Beers" Ray Daniels talks about how he found no commercial breweries that used any type of crystal in this style.
I don't know where he is getting this from. Narziss, German commercial brewing author, mentions that some Alts are brewed from 90% light malt (Pilsner) and 10% Carmel malt (120 EBC). A while ago a very knowledgeable member of a German home brewing forum (at the time he was an apprentice in an Alt brewery) mentioned that the famous Altbier brewery Zum Uerige is brewing their Alt with pilsner, crystal and roasted malts.

How many Alts are using crystal malts, I don't know. But it is definitely not out of style.

Designing Great Beers is a great book to get started. But it's only that in my opinion. The fact that he bases his recipe suggestions on home brewer's interpretations of the style is a major flaw in my eyes. A style should not be defined by the way home brewers interpret it but by the way it is brewed in the country of origin. At least for the traditional styles.

Kai
People Like This 
Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the clarification on the crystal. The book is a bit old and seems to have some "holes" in the knowledge in places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Designing Great Beers is a great book to get started. But it's only that in my opinion. The fact that he bases his recipe suggestions on home brewer's interpretations of the style is a major flaw in my eyes. A style should not be defined by the way home brewers interpret it but by the way it is brewed in the country of origin. At least for the traditional styles.

Kai
I agree with you--when I bought the book I was hoping it would have more information on the history of what ingredients etc. were used in the styles.....I also don't like that it barely covers any styles. I still use it to get another perspective on common styles I want to try.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this yesterday with only a change of hops because I got the tet win from Bobby.

It was clear as a bell going into the fermenter with no irish moss or anything. I'm using notty to ferment, I can't wait.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Kai....

Thanks again for sharing! I let these age a month or so in the bottles and they're money, I can't wait to share this with my buddies. I'll be brewing it again!

Justin

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwmgdman View Post
Thanks again for sharing! I let these age a month or so in the bottles and they're money, I can't wait to share this with my buddies. I'll be brewing it again!
glad you like it. I'll be brewing it again once it gets colder out. It's pretty much a house beer for me during the winter.

Kai

Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #20
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1956

Hi Kai. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks very interesting.

Two questions:

1. If one was to do a single infusion mash (no decoction), would you mash at 150, 152?

2. My lhbs carries white labs rather than wyeast; it seems that WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch would be equivalent - similar attenuation, floculation and temperature characteristics. Another option would be the WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt, but it has a significantly lower attenuation range than Wyeast 1007. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for sharing this recipe, I'm putting it in the queue.

Cheers

Quick Reply