Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > Frühlingstraum (Düsseldorf Altbier)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
RRBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is the relatively low fermentation temp critical to the outcome of the Altbier? I might be able to bring my chamber temp to the low 60's but not 45? What is the pH of your water? Also, if using a pH stabilizer, would the Acid malt be needed? For the decoction step, do you take the first runnings 45 minutes into the mash? What yeast was used?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBrewer View Post
Is the relatively low fermentation temp critical to the outcome of the Altbier? I might be able to bring my chamber temp to the low 60's but not 45? What is the pH of your water? Also, if using a pH stabilizer, would the Acid malt be needed? For the decoction step, do you take the first runnings 45 minutes into the mash? What yeast was used?
Yes, a low fermentation temp is critical to this style. Alts are ales fermented on the cool side - not quite lager temps, but lower than most ales. So, getting it down to 60 is important. Once primary fermentation is done, alts are usually cold conditioned - almost lagered - to help smooth them out and clear them up. However, this cold conditioning is not completely necessary, so if you cannot go lower than 60, don't worry too much about it. However, in that case, I would leave it in primary a little longer.

You should think of altbier (and kolsch) as occupying the style-space between true lagers and ales.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
RRBrewer
Recipes 

Is the relatively low fermentation temp critical to the outcome? I might be able to bring my chamber temp to the low 60's but not 45? What is the pH of your water? Also, if using a pH stabilizer, would the Acid malt be needed?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBrewer
Is the relatively low fermentation temp critical to the outcome? I might be able to bring my chamber temp to the low 60's but not 45? What is the pH of your water? Also, if using a pH stabilizer, would the Acid malt be needed?
I don't know the pH of my water...what matters is the pH of the mash. I've never used pH stabilizer, but if it helps you get the proper mash pH then use it instead of the acid malt. The acid malt works for my setup.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1943 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

I've been looking at your recipe & bamarooster's for a way to do this beer PB/PM BIAB style. I'd replace some of the malt with 3lb of plain extract. But it's a lil tougher with yours,due to the smaller amounts of different grains.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
I've been looking at your recipe & bamarooster's for a way to do this beer PB/PM BIAB style. I'd replace some of the malt with 3lb of plain extract. But it's a lil tougher with yours,due to the smaller amounts of different grains.
You could just sub out the pale malt for the extract, but keep the pilsner, Munich, and chocolate wheat. How much grain can you mash?

My Beer Cellar

Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
strayer24
Recipes 

Your recipe was my first all grain brewing experience and had a question about the fermentation temperature and visible signs of fermentation. We pitched the yeast around 75 degrees and took it down to 60-65 degrees were it had visible signs of fermentation but have since halted.

Should there be a good amount of activity in the fermentation lock as well as inside the carboy?

Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
That is one delicious looking beer! (and that statement comes from a German whose best friend lives in Düsseldorf). Great name too!

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
That is one delicious looking beer! (and that statement comes from a German whose best friend lives in Düsseldorf). Great name too!
Thanks! I'm really happy with this beer. Unfortunately, this year's version got an infection - I was stupid and used the same fermenter I used for a Brett-based beer earlier. Can't wait to try it again this winter.

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayer24 View Post
Your recipe was my first all grain brewing experience and had a question about the fermentation temperature and visible signs of fermentation. We pitched the yeast around 75 degrees and took it down to 60-65 degrees were it had visible signs of fermentation but have since halted.

Should there be a good amount of activity in the fermentation lock as well as inside the carboy?
Sorry strayer - I failed to see your question here. I imagine, by now, you have figured it out, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

Active fermentation may only last 3-5 days. The warmer the temps, the faster the fermentation - so, if your beer was up at 75°F for any length of time, you may have sped things up considerably. That said, the airlock activity isn't really a great measure of your fermentation - all it does is tell you that gas is being released from the beer. An active airlock is usually a good indicator that fermentation is going, but an inactive airlock doesn't mean it is not fermenting. The only way to really know is to check the gravity.

Any updates?

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply