Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Fat Tire Clone, BYO Dec 2010

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #21
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalnx
sivdrinks,
your recipe is most similar to my second variation, lots of different grains in similar proportions, it made a good drinkable beer, although on the darker end of amber, and no particular flavor seemed to dominate the beer. I also only had 8 oz biscuit(victory) in that one, and have since increased to 1lb, and may go forward with 1.5lb now. I had gone down to as little as 2oz chocolate malt, (similar to your 4oz pale choc) and at those levels to keep the color light, it gave virtually no choc flavor to the beer. That is why I now use the nibs. I think the color for fat tire should be in the 9-10 SRM range. (at least that is where I have to design for with the spread sheet I use)

I better get drinking, so I can get a new variation into the pipeline.

I would sure like to get this to where I think it is "right" then It will likely be a standard offering on my keezer, and my first posted "recipe".
Color is really damn close. Not in a hurry to get this on tap so it'll probably sit at least 8 weeks. Any thoughts on how much nibs for how long in secondary? Going to GABF so maybe I'll try to get some info outta them

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Color is really damn close. Not in a hurry to get this on tap so it'll probably sit at least 8 weeks. Any thoughts on how much nibs for how long in secondary? Going to GABF so maybe I'll try to get some info outta them
GABF......Lucky!

for the nibs, I did 2oz for 10, maybe 11 days. I didin't soak them in vodka or anything either, which I've read helps with extraction. This gave a noticable flavor as is, and I don't think any more would be fitting or necessary. I dry hopped with 1.5 oz willamette at this time also. (I have a dryhopping addiction)

I would bet if you talk to New Belgium @ GABF, neither the nibs or dry hopping are part of thier recipe, but it is the only way I've been able to get it to taste like it does out of a fresh keg or can.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #23
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

GABF......Lucky!

for the nibs, I did 2oz for 10, maybe 11 days. I didin't soak them in vodka or anything either, which I've read helps with extraction. This gave a noticable flavor as is, and I don't think any more would be fitting or necessary. I dry hopped with 1.5 oz willamette at this time also. (I have a dryhopping addiction)

I would bet if you talk to New Belgium @ GABF, neither the nibs or dry hopping are part of thier recipe, but it is the only way I've been able to get it to taste like it does out of a fresh keg or can.
Unfortunately I don't remember much from GABF so no secrets here. I did get a stick of Ranger IPA lip balm that's pretty sweet and a coosy

Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #24
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So my Fat Tire is very much lacking the chocolate aroma and flair of the original. Betting cocoa powder is the missing link, just not sure where to put it.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do 2 oz cocoa nibs in the primary after fermentation is complete, think dry hopping. pre soak the nibs in a little vodka for at least a week prior to adding them. My last batch is getting kegged wedensday hopfully it is going to have enough chocolate to it. I was dumping in my dry hops and the nibs into the fermenter, had a brain fart, and wasn't holding my hop bag over the bucket when I started to add the vodka/nibs, and a lot of the liquid ended up on my floor.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I do 2 oz cocoa nibs in the primary after fermentation is complete, think dry hopping. pre soak the nibs in a little vodka for at least a week prior to adding them. My last batch is getting kegged wedensday hopfully it is going to have enough chocolate to it. I was dumping in my dry hops and the nibs into the fermenter, had a brain fart, and wasn't holding my hop bag over the bucket when I started to add the vodka/nibs, and a lot of the liquid ended up on my floor.
I did 2oz nibs in secondary for about two weeks I think, maybe more. There's just something about the smell and taste I don't like, too earthy or clean, not sure how to put it. It's definitely not the answer for flavor though, not chocolatey enough. My color is darker than the original Fat Tire also so adding more chocolate malt probably isn't the answer. More Victory and maybe nibs at flameout?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #27
spokehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Greetings. I just made your recipe Friday night, my first all-grain and only my fourth effort. Do you remember at what temperature you fermented and will it make much of a difference.? For example will it matter much if fermentation is at 62 or 70?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
spokehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

As evidence of my inexperience, I neglected to note that I was addressing my question to Permo, having used that all gran recipe posted in April 2012

Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This beer definitely gets better with age. Like 12 weeks age, forget about this a while and brew something with a quick turnaround to get ya through.

Quick Reply