Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Fat Tire Clone, BYO Dec 2010

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
Taco29wps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Another Fat Tire Recipe- I got this from a brew buddy

Here is one I did a few weeks ago and it turned out really good. It is, IMO, the best beer I have brewed to date...very similar to the recipe that Airborneguy submitted. Check it out:

5.5 Gallon batch/ All grain

8 lb 10 oz (3.9 kg) Pale Malt
1.0 Lb (.45 kg) Munich Malt
6.0 0z (.17 KG) Victory Malt
8.0 oz (.23 kg) Crystal Malt (60 L)
4.4 AAU Target Hops (60 mins) (.5oz/11g of 10.7% alpha hops)
2.5 AAU Williamette Hops (10 mins) (.5 oz/14g of 5% alpha acids)
.5 oz (14g) Goldings Hops (Flame out)

Wyeast 1792 (Fat Tire Ale), Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051 (California Ale V) yeast

I used the 1272...
Step by step:

Mash at 154 F for 60 mins...mash out and rest for 10 mins
Boiled 7 Gallons for about 5.5 in the primary
Boil for 90 mins, adding hops at indicated times
Ferment at 68F...I did One week Primary, 2 weeks Secondary, then bottled.

after 1 week the beer has turned out very good. My buddy put it against a Southern Pecan and said it was a pretty close match. I think the color was lighter than the Southern Pecan for sure, but the flavor is so mellow and tasty-I had to share. One of the cool things about this beer is that as you know, you buy the hops by the oz and the recipe only calls for half of the hops purchased which means now I only have to buy the grain and yeast to make another batch!

Let me know what you think.

Taco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I think that's the recipe I started with before making minor changes based on how I thought it would translate on my system. I have a ton of Fat Tire right now that my step-sister brought me back from the OBX. I should really try this again soon to compare.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Have you had it in the can?......Fat Tire.

If you haven't you need to, hands down no comparison to the stuff coming from the bottle. It even tastes "fresher" than you will get at a bar on tap. It really becomes hop forward. My post should have read have you had it FROM the can, because of course you need to pour it into a glass to release the hop aromas. This has inspired me to dry hop my last couple Fat Tire clones, with great results.

Here's mine.

2 Row (Briess) 9.00 lb
6 Row Chocolate (Briess) 0.13 lb
Biscuit Malt 1.00 lb
Munich Malt 1.00 lb
American Crystal Malt 40 0.50 lb

single infusion mash @ 154

Willamette 0.75 oz 4.3% FWH then 60min
Fuggle (US) 0.75 oz 5.3% FWH then 60min
Willamette 1.25 oz 4.3% Dry hop 7-10 days
Fuggle (US) 1.25 oz 5.3% Dry hop 7-10 days

S-05 @68 deg. I've tried Notty, but gets a little fruity at 68 deg.

SRM= 11
IBU= 24 avg.
ABV= 5.5-6%

I have one more tweak to the grain bill, that I am going to try, and then lock in on one of the two. Dropping the choc. adding brown malt, and backing down the buscuit, because I get some of that with the brown. SRM stays at 11.

2 Row (Briess) 8.00 lb
Brown Malt 0.50 lb
Biscuit Malt 0.75 lb
Munich Malt 1.00 lb
American Crystal Malt 40 1.00 lb

Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #14
keggert
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you guys tried fat tire directly from the factory or does it not taste like what you get from the bottle? The reason I ask is when I toured the brewery a couple years ago the fat tire I had there tasted totally different from what I normally get from the local distributor ( I'm in NM). Please let me know as what I got from the brewery I absolutely loved, while what is locally available I could care less for.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I toured the brewery also. Didn't really notice a difference outside of freshness.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Like I said above, get it in cans, huge difference from the bottles. It will be more of that factory fresh flavor that you are talking about. I see they have Ranger IPA in cans now also.

Also, yesterday I just dry hopped my latest batch of FT with 1.5oz Willamette, and 2oz cocoa nibs.
Trying to achieve that slight chocolate flavor I get on the tail end without the added color that chocolate malt brings with it.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalnx
Like I said above, get it in cans, huge difference from the bottles. It will be more of that factory fresh flavor that you are talking about. I see they have Ranger IPA in cans now also.

Also, yesterday I just dry hopped my latest batch of FT with 1.5oz Willamette, and 2oz cocoa nibs.
Trying to achieve that slight chocolate flavor I get on the tail end without the added color that chocolate malt brings with it.
Just made a version the other day. Hydrometer sample was promising, no chocolate finish despite using 4oz Belgian Chocolate malt in the mash. I like your idea of nibs in the secondary, I'll decide in three weeks after primary.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cocoa nibs

To sivdrinks,

The cocoa nibs do the trick for that hint of chocolate in the finish. This is the 4th variation to my recipe, and the only one that I have achieved the chocolate on the back end that I have been looking for. I'm very upset with myself though, as I put in a full pound of brown malt, when I had intended on only .5 lb. This clone is now a delicious brown ale instead of an amber ale. Just wish I would have added the right amount, then I would know better if it fit the flavor properly. At a full pound, it seems to not belong. So, next round will be either a rebrew of variation 4 with the proper amount of brown malt this time, or variation 5, both mashed at 154.

variation 4 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 9.00
Brown Malt 0.50
Biscuit Malt 1.00
American Crystal Malt 40 0.50

variation 5 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 8.00
Biscuit Malt 1.50
Munich Malt 1.00

hop schedule
Magnum 0.32oz 14.7AA 60min
Willamette 0.50oz 4.7AA 10min

dry hop
Willamette 1.50oz 4.7AA 10days
Cocoa Nibs 2.00oz 10days

Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalnx
To sivdrinks,

The cocoa nibs do the trick for that hint of chocolate in the finish. This is the 4th variation to my recipe, and the only one that I have achieved the chocolate on the back end that I have been looking for. I'm very upset with myself though, as I put in a full pound of brown malt, when I had intended on only .5 lb. This clone is now a delicious brown ale instead of an amber ale. Just wish I would have added the right amount, then I would know better if it fit the flavor properly. At a full pound, it seems to not belong. So, next round will be either a rebrew of variation 4 with the proper amount of brown malt this time, or variation 5, both mashed at 154.

variation 4 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 9.00
Brown Malt 0.50
Biscuit Malt 1.00

variation 5 grain bill (lbs)
2 Row (Briess) 8.00
Biscuit Malt 1.50
Munich Malt 1.00

hop schedule
Magnum 0.32oz 14.7AA 60min
Willamette 0.50oz 4.7AA 10min

dry hop
Willamette 1.50oz 4.7AA 10days
Cocoa Nibs 2.00oz 10days
My hydro sample didn't taste like much, here's my recipe.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1644086

Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

sivdrinks,
your recipe is most similar to my second variation, lots of different grains in similar proportions, it made a good drinkable beer, although on the darker end of amber, and no particular flavor seemed to dominate the beer. I also only had 8 oz biscuit(victory) in that one, and have since increased to 1lb, and may go forward with 1.5lb now. I had gone down to as little as 2oz chocolate malt, (similar to your 4oz pale choc) and at those levels to keep the color light, it gave virtually no choc flavor to the beer. That is why I now use the nibs. I think the color for fat tire should be in the 9-10 SRM range. (at least that is where I have to design for with the spread sheet I use)

I better get drinking, so I can get a new variation into the pipeline.

I would sure like to get this to where I think it is "right" then It will likely be a standard offering on my keezer, and my first posted "recipe".

Quick Reply