Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - California Common- HBT Comp winner 1st place

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #81
dyqik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I might as well ask this here, I think. I'm planning on brewing a Cali Common, and I got a copy of Brewing Classic Styles yesterday. In it, the Cali Common recipe (that this recipe is based on) seems very heavy on the pale malt - the AG version calls for 10 lb of pale malt, plus the same character malts as in this recipe. Is this a mistake in the book, or are they assuming very low efficiency? BeerSmith puts it at 1064 or so for my efficiency in a 5.5 gallon batch into the fermenter (6 gal post boil volume at 60F).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #82
Herk
Recipes 

Just brewed this today. My only variation is using Maris Otter for the base malt, because that's what I had. Hope it's not to "Maris Ottery" if that's even possible.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #83
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Has anybody ever used any other hop substitutions on this? I know it wouldn't be true to the style I guess just wanting to make it and I just want to use what I have on hand. I have Willamette, EKG, Cascade and Centennial in copious amounts. What are your thoughts on any of those? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #84
KWheth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgoat View Post
Has anybody ever used any other hop substitutions on this? I know it wouldn't be true to the style I guess just wanting to make it and I just want to use what I have on hand. I have Willamette, EKG, Cascade and Centennial in copious amounts. What are your thoughts on any of those? Thanks.
Heard from a couple folks that they subbed Cascade for N. Brewer. If brewed already, which one did you use and how did it turn out?

Just brewed this BIAB, and was just above the OG mark, and hit 1.058. Will look forward to this final results in a couple weeks.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #85
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just brewed this today!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #86
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just brewed this today!
Let me know how you like it, please! I am a real hophead, but I do like this beer a lot and I'm really curious to see how you feel about it as well.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #87
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I don't think I've ever had a beer take off so fast. Pitched yeast at 3:45 pm, and just got home at 10:30 and I have a 2 inch full krausen on it. I'm used to lager yeasts at lager temps, maybe being a little on the slow side. I have my temp controller running a heat belt to keep it at 62 degrees, so I guess lager yeast running hot must take off like gangbusters.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #88
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't think I've ever had a beer take off so fast. Pitched yeast at 3:45 pm, and just got home at 10:30 and I have a 2 inch full krausen on it. I'm used to lager yeasts at lager temps, maybe being a little on the slow side. I have my temp controller running a heat belt to keep it at 62 degrees, so I guess lager yeast running hot must take off like gangbusters.
When I've done this beer, it hasn't taken off so well for me but I've run it a bit colder, using ambient temperatures in the high 50s generally (one of the joys of living in a frigid climate. ).

Now I want to go out and buy some Northern Brewer hops, just to make this again. You've got me excited about this beer again!
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply