Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #71
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Is that going to be one of your HBT BJCP comp entries? I won't tell you how many beers are already in that category, but I assume you'd do incredibly well with that great recipe!
Yep, this beer will be in the comp. I've gotta buy some more tubing, an auto-siphon and a bottling wand first though. The last couple of batches I bottled developed an off-flavor so I'm being extra careful with this beer. It's so good straight from the fermenter, I can't even imagine how good it will be when bottled and carbed if I don't screw it up. I really like how the lagering has given it that crisp lager characteristic while leaving a little bit of the fruitiness for character. It has actually maintained a good hop presence through the lagering, but I think a bit of dry-hopping will give it that little kick so the judges can check off the style guidelines. Caramel? Check. Toasty? Check. Woody hops? Check. Slight fruitiness? Check.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #72
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I read through this thread (thanks by the way) lots of helpful tips for making my first California Common. My LHBS can only get White Labs strains so that's the SF Lager yeast I'll be going with.

I'm curious what size starters you guys made and how long it took to get going? I guess what I'm really wondering is can I make my starter Friday afternoon and brew this on Sunday morning? Just wondering if that will be enough time for this yeast.

Thanks!

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #73
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Yep, this beer will be in the comp. I've gotta buy some more tubing, an auto-siphon and a bottling wand first though. The last couple of batches I bottled developed an off-flavor so I'm being extra careful with this beer. It's so good straight from the fermenter, I can't even imagine how good it will be when bottled and carbed if I don't screw it up. I really like how the lagering has given it that crisp lager characteristic while leaving a little bit of the fruitiness for character. It has actually maintained a good hop presence through the lagering, but I think a bit of dry-hopping will give it that little kick so the judges can check off the style guidelines. Caramel? Check. Toasty? Check. Woody hops? Check. Slight fruitiness? Check.
I just bottled this beer today without dryhopping. I like it so much as it is I didn't want to screw with it. Not to mention it has such a great clarity right now that I didn't want to mess it up by dry hopping. Now to wait for them to carb up.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #74
MistyMountainHops
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Total NOOB question here - so I brewed this yesterday as my first AG batch. I have done countless extract and PMs in the past so I am not new to brewing by any means. My question is, why does this recipe say it is a 7 gal boil when the water required for mashing does not equal 7 gal? 13.75 qts + 7.7 qts = 21.45 qts or 5.36 gal. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

"Offered a Bud Light, and a glass of water - I'd drink the water. You only have one liver, don't waste it on bad beer." - Brock Wagner

Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #75
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHops View Post
Total NOOB question here - so I brewed this yesterday as my first AG batch. I have done countless extract and PMs in the past so I am not new to brewing by any means. My question is, why does this recipe say it is a 7 gal boil when the water required for mashing does not equal 7 gal? 13.75 qts + 7.7 qts = 21.45 qts or 5.36 gal. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.
First runnings wont yield 5.36 gallons; some of the water is still tied up in the grist. Youll still need to sparge with enough water (~3.5gallons @ ~190°F) to reach a preboil of 7 gallons. I think the extra 7.7qts is just to raise the temp to 168°F to stop conversion. Typically on an 1.050 beer, youll use about 9 gallons total with 1.5-2gallons still tied up in the wet grist, leaving 7 gallons in the kettle to boil down to 5.5 gallons.

Cheers!
-------------------------------

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #76
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brewed this up yesterday and hit the numbers dead on! 154.1° F mash, OG was exactly 1050. The only wrench was the NB hops I had were 9.9%, not 8.0% so I had Beersmith calculate to keep the IBUs about the same -

0.8 oz. for 60 min
0.4 oz. for 15 min

I kept the 0 min hops quantity the same. I don't have a scale so I had to use symmetry to divide into equal portions, it should be close enough I'm hoping.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #77
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Anyway, my recipe will have this grain bill with the addition of 2 oz of pale chocolate malt for some toastiness as per Jamil's suggestion. I'll also be aiming for 40 IBU with a 1 oz addition of NB at 15 and 1 oz at flameout.
Last night I poured a bottle of this and bottle of the real anchor steam side by side for a little taste comparison. Appearance-wise, my beer was definitely darker, probbaly by 2 SRM or so. Both were crystal clear but the anchor had an off-white head while my beer had more of a shining white head. My beer was much stonger in aroma, with lots of sweet malt and caramel, looots of caramel. Nice NB hoppiness in there too but the caramel definitely dominated. Anchor steam was more subdued, much less caramel, less hoppiness. The flavor of mine was definitely sweeter, with again, tons of caramel. Anchor was drier and more crisp, not displaying nearly the same caramel flavors. Toastiness was very similar between the two, and the overall impression of the flavor was similar, despite my beer having a much more dominant caramel flavor.

Overall, I'm very happy with the recipe. My wife preferred mine due to its maltiness. The caramel isn't something that is at all overwhelming of off-putting, but it definitely sticks out when compared to a real anchor.

When I make this beer again, I'm going to drop the crystal malt to about 0.5 lbs. That should reduce the color and caramel flavors to more closely approximate anchor, and will also give the beer a better impression of dryness. That would only be to bring the beer closer to anchor, not to necessarily improve upon it. As it is it is very good, and I wouldn't doubt if most people who tried it like it better than anchor (like my wife). It's definitely more flavorful and malty with bigger hop presence. The only advantage I see anchor having is a bit better drinkability due to it being a bit more dry and crisp. In cold weather, give me my attempt, in hot weather, give me the anchor.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #78
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just finished kegging the batch I brewed on 1/23 - 3 weeks and 3 days total. All my original numbers hit on brew day, and I was able to keep the temp very close to 55 during primary. I did a diacetyl rest at about 65 - 68 for three days and put it into the laundry room for two weeks. Temps there varied between 45 and 50.

Holy balls this tastes good, I can't wait for it to carb up.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #79
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorebrew View Post

Holy balls this tastes good, I can't wait for it to carb up.
I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that about one of my recipes before.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #80
Spitfire6
Recipes 

Hello All! My first post to this board.

Brewed a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. My starter was too small at about 1 quart but it's looking good. Krausen is about one inch at 20 hours after pitching. Just came alive in last hour or two.

My first time to use anything other than an ale yeast. I'm used to pitching in the evening and waking up to a full rockin' ferment. I was a little concerned earlier today.

Last edited by Spitfire6; 02-22-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply