Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 03:44 AM   #51
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After the last post, I upped the temp in the bucket to 70ºF for a week as a diacetyl rest, and the flavor smoothed out nicely. Two weeks in the the bottles, and it was very drinkable. Another week, and it's now one of my best brews, and everyone who tried it today was really happy with it and wanted more.

I'll be doing this one again in a couple of months (three other recipes in the pipe to finish first). The mini-mash of Victory malt will definitely stay, though I think I may lower the 6# of light DME to 5# and add a pound of sugar. It just wasn't dry enough this time around. I think another ounce of NB in the last five minutes (with half at flameout) would pep it up a bit. Maybe a quarter ounce of Magnum at start of boil would be better... I think it just needs a bit more bitterness.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for this great recipe, Yooper!

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #52
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

EXPERIMENTAL RECIPE MOD! Brew at your own risk...

Yoop, I'm hoping you can take a look at this and tell me if I'm on the right track. I was very happy with the recipe for extract you listed here (and I did add a half pound of Victory malt in the steep per recommendations), but mine came out a bit sweeter than I had planned (I was a couple of points above your OG, but one point below your FG).

I made a few mods to the recipe based on my tastes. I'm hoping to dry it out a bit, and bring some more of that excellent Northern Brewer hops character to the front of the stage. Here's the recipe as I'd like to try it. See what you think. Is the sugar idea too much (should I just drop the amount of DME instead)? This would be the first time I've brewed using table shugga...

Thanks!

Oops - sorry, all. The ZIP file has a BeerXML file and a PDF of the recipe.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Extract Cali Common (YooperBrew) - MOD.zip (42.6 KB, 41 views)
Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Last edited by torque2k; 12-04-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Clarify attachment contents.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #53
Otiluke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

This was my first attempt at a recipe that wasn't from a box. I got if from the net:
3.3lbs briess LME light malt extract
3lbs briess DME light malt extract
1/2 pound, crystal malt
2 ounces, Northern Brewer hops (11 alpha) (boil)
1 ounce, Cascade hops (5.6 alpha) (finish)
WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast

OG was 1.056
When I moved to secondary gravity was 1.020

Pour 1 gallon water into brewpot. Crush grains and add to brewpot. Bring to boil. Remove grains. Add malt extract. Add 1/3 of the boiling hops. After 20 minutes, add another 1/3 of hops. After another 20 minutes add the last 1/3 of hops. After another 20 minutes, remove from heat and add finishing hops. Cover wort. Pour 3 gallons cold water into fermenter. Strain wort into fermenter along with enough water to make 5-1/2 gallons. Pitch yeast and put in blowoff tube or airlock.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #54
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

just brewed this up and its chugging away.

the recipe says 1 week primary and 2 weeks secondary. does that mean transfer to secondary when its done fermenting, or can i keg and let it condition for 4 more weeks. i plan on tapping the keg in 5 weeks.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #55
Philsc
Recipes 

I got a hold of some California Common yeast. To my shame I've never tried Anchor Steam beer, but this recipe is beautiful in its simplicity, so I'm going to give it a go.

It's going to be a weird British version though with MO and Munton's light crystal. Sorry about that.

Thanks for posting.

Phil

Old 11-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #56
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I'm drinking some now. Well, not NOW, as it's 7:30 AM. But it's currently on tap at my house, and we're enjoying it.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #57
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Looking for a second brew for tomorrow. This would have been my choice if I could have gotten the yeast before now. Alas, I'm stuck using ale yeast. Which reminds me I need to call my friend and have him pick up some yeast at MBC tonight...

Tried Anchor steam and really liked it.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #58
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Whew! Just stepped up my starter of 2112 for my sunday brew of a beer based on this recipe and talk about diacetyl! I'm going to have to be sure to give this beer a diacetyl rest if the starter was any indication. Anyway, my recipe will have this grain bill with the addition of 2 oz of pale chocolate malt for some toastiness as per Jamil's suggestion. I'll also be aiming for 40 IBU with a 1 oz addition of NB at 15 and 1 oz at flameout. I just got another freezer so I'll be able to ferment this thing right at 62 degrees for all of primary (unless I need to warm it up to get rid of diacetyl!) Really looking forward to this one!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #59
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Whew! Just stepped up my starter of 2112 for my sunday brew of a beer based on this recipe and talk about diacetyl! I'm going to have to be sure to give this beer a diacetyl rest if the starter was any indication. Anyway, my recipe will have this grain bill with the addition of 2 oz of pale chocolate malt for some toastiness as per Jamil's suggestion. I'll also be aiming for 40 IBU with a 1 oz addition of NB at 15 and 1 oz at flameout. I just got another freezer so I'll be able to ferment this thing right at 62 degrees for all of primary (unless I need to warm it up to get rid of diacetyl!) Really looking forward to this one!
Sounds great! I just did the "other" recipe about 5 weeks ago, and it's lagering in the keg right now. Well, lagering in the keg isn't a great idea really. At least for me- because I hooked it up to the taps. Just for sampling purposes. And then, I took a growler off of it last night and sat out here at our cabin sampling it.

Anyway, I still like this recipe a bit better, and I think the changes you're making will make it over the top.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #60
Allsup
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just kegged the original recipe Fri. It's GOOD I had it in the primary for 7 days and secondary for 12 days at 65, then 70 for 2 days. Thanks for the recipe.

Last edited by Allsup; 11-22-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply