Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #41
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am planning on brewing this on Saturday and will be my first beer that I have done water adjustments on.

I looked up the San Francisco water report, I figure when they first made this, I doubt they adjusted their water, although I am sure their water has changed since then too, so these number are probably not worth anything.

caco3: 59
ca 15
mg 5.4
ph 9
na 14
so4 17.6
cl 9

Pretty soft water really. I am planning to adjust to the following.

ca 70
mg 20
na 12.3
so4 136
cl 63.8
HCO3 60

I will have to dilute my tap water with 1 part tap, 2 parts distilled to get down to 60 HCO3

This should play on the bitterness of the NB hops though.

How does this look. Has anyone done this recipe with water adjustments?

This is my first time so I am a little paranoid. I think the key may be to use soft water and play up on the bitterness a little bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #42
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This looks really good, I think I may do this next (but probably not for a couple of weeks, unfortunately... too much family stuff getting in the way of brewing ).

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 09-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #43
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to be brewing this up this weekend, but my recipe is a bit modified (using Yooper's as a base):

1/2lb 60L, 1/4lb 120L, 1/2lb Victory malt, 6lb Golden Light DME

Same hops schedule, though my NB is at 8.5%AA (only raised IBU from 40 to 43, so I won't bother changing the amounts).

YooperBrew, I'm using liquid yeast for the first time (I loves me my Safale). Does this recipe work best with a starter when using WLP810? I've heard that White Labs' yeasts don't normally require a starter...

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #44
BlackTieBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's a shot of mine, it's not as hazy as it looks.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #45
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2k View Post
Does this recipe work best with a starter when using WLP810? I've heard that White Labs' yeasts don't normally require a starter...
Im starting to use this as one of my three house strains. I would recommend a starter, as would Jamil Z.. just have to use the hybrid fermentation setting. If you were at the upper end of the style (1.054) for 5.5 gals and yeast with 75% viability, you'd be good with a vial in a 2L starter.

If you ferment in the low 60's, it can take some time. I have a big Cali Common going right now with OG 1.061, and 13 days later is 1.031 (with steady CO2 generation) with a 4L starter on 10gal going @ 60°F; I suppose the WLP810 attenuation is supposed to reach 70% (1.019 for this beer), but Ive gotten up to 76% attenuation before (which would be 1.014).

Also, I use Chinook and Cascades.. no NB for me. Style guidelines are there to be, well, guidelines

Cheers!
-------------------------------

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #46
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Whoah - just read the posts about the long fermentation times for this beer and now I'm slightly worried. I brewed it on saturday (my first AG!), made a 1L starter, and have been using the swamp cooler to keep it at around 62 (since I read somewhere that that's what Anchor ferments at). I know the 1L starter was probably a bit small, but I had airlock activity within 10 hours so I'm thinking I'm ok there.

Trouble is, I'm planning on brewing again this Friday, and my swamp cooler's only big enough for one fermenter. So will this beer be ok if I take it out and let it warm to room temps to finish up? That will mean it'll ferment at 62 for 6 days, then 68-70 for another 2-3 weeks. I definitely don't have lager capabilities, but if I have to I can keep this one in the swamp cooler indefinitely. But I don't want to have to put off Friday's brewday for another few weeks (or ferment my next beer too warm), just to keep this one cold!

Suggestions or reassurances?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #47
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Whoah - just read the posts about the long fermentation times for this beer and now I'm slightly worried. I brewed it on saturday (my first AG!), made a 1L starter, and have been using the swamp cooler to keep it at around 62 (since I read somewhere that that's what Anchor ferments at). I know the 1L starter was probably a bit small, but I had airlock activity within 10 hours so I'm thinking I'm ok there.

Trouble is, I'm planning on brewing again this Friday, and my swamp cooler's only big enough for one fermenter. So will this beer be ok if I take it out and let it warm to room temps to finish up? That will mean it'll ferment at 62 for 6 days, then 68-70 for another 2-3 weeks. I definitely don't have lager capabilities, but if I have to I can keep this one in the swamp cooler indefinitely. But I don't want to have to put off Friday's brewday for another few weeks (or ferment my next beer too warm), just to keep this one cold!

Suggestions or reassurances?
Reassurances, you will be fine, the beer should be done fermenting after 6 days and moving it to room temp should be ok, leave it for 2-3 weeks more and then try to cool it down as cold as you can so all the stuff that is in suspension will fall to the bottom and you can rack the beer off to another container before you keg or bottle.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #48
Palefire
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Reassurances, you will be fine, the beer should be done fermenting after 6 days and moving it to room temp should be ok, leave it for 2-3 weeks more and then try to cool it down as cold as you can so all the stuff that is in suspension will fall to the bottom and you can rack the beer off to another container before you keg or bottle.
Cool, thanks much. Thought I'd be fine but after reading that post about the 2-3 week fermentation time I got a little worried. But you're right - most if not all of fermentation should probably be done by 6 days. I'm thinking this one'll be hitting its peak sometime around the beginning of December. Awesome.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #49
Palefire
Recipes 

Dang - 7 days after brewing, that yeast is still chuggin' away! Haven't taken a gravity sample yet, but my ale pail is somewhat translucent and I can still see a small-ish layer of krausen at the top. And the airlock is bubbling every 5-6 seconds or so. I've kept it at 62 in the swamp cooler all week, but in a few hours I'll need to put today's brew up in there (it's boiling as I write - Orfy's Mild). So I guess I'll have to let to warm up to room temps. Hopefully it'll still finish fine.

Anyway, think the earlier poster is right - if you ferment in the low 60's, it'll take a while!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #50
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Must be right. I had mine at 65 for two weeks; reading today was 1.016, down from 1.061, in a bucket. Tasted good, though I think I detected a tiny bit of butter flavor. 1qt starter for a vial of WLP810.

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Quick Reply