Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #161
jimlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just an guess, as I will be brewing the cal common for the 1st time with my next batch, but cold lagering the bottles for a longer period of time should help.

I did another hybrid, an altbier, which I bottle conditioned, carb'ing up at warm temps for 2 weeks, then cold lagering in a fridge for 4 weeks. Not sure if the 4 week cold conditioning did it, or if it's just one part of the equation, but my alt was crisp and a bit lager-like despite the (german) ale yeast.

What was your FG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savylemons View Post
Made this 5 weeks ago and while the taste is great it lacks the crispness that I expected and mine seems to have more of a creamy, thicker mouthfeel than expected. My question is will this beer continue to get crisp as it cold conditions?

For reference: I hit OG and FG perfectly,
fermented at 58 degrees and at 1.020 did a D rest until complete, moved back and let sit two weeks at 55 degrees, then added gelatin and cold crashed 48 hours, bottled and carbed up for three weeks, and has only been in the fridge 48 hours since carbed.

Is the lack of cold time since carbonation have anything to do with it? I've only brewed ales and it's the first time I've used this strain, I just expected it to be more crisp, for I've gotten crisper results with WLP001 fermented at 62.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #162
savylemons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #163
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I can't say it didn't finish low enough then.

I've had my cal common in the primary for 12 days now. Managed to keep it at 60° with the carboy in a bucket of water on the cold cement floor of my basement. Ferment was heavy for the first several days, and I was glad to have the blow-off tube in place! It recenty had slowed to a burp through the airlock every 12-13 seconds. I removed it form the tub of water and it's now around 65°. Figure I will let it go a couple more days and then rack to a secondary and leave it in the basement until the activity in the airlock all but stops. Will check gravity when I rack to secondary.

I am hoping to get a used fridge in to the basement within a couple weeks so I can lager this (in the bottles most likely). If I get the fridge sooner, I can lager the secondary carboy in it and then bottle.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #164
Bgon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ended up with a beer I'm especially proud of. Was worried I let it get to cold during the two week primary fermentation. It finished out once I pulled it out of the swamp cooler before moving to secondary and a 2 week fridge lagering. Bottled and conditioned now for 3 weeks. Not quite the ale taste the original has but I'm not sure I would change much about it right now. Definitely will be made again.

Primary: Blonde Ale
On Deck: Amber Ale

Old 06-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #165
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgon View Post
I ended up with a beer I'm especially proud of. Was worried I let it get to cold during the two week primary fermentation. It finished out once I pulled it out of the swamp cooler before moving to secondary and a 2 week fridge lagering. Bottled and conditioned now for 3 weeks. Not quite the ale taste the original has but I'm not sure I would change much about it right now. Definitely will be made again.
What temp did you carb at? Seeing that the yeast ferments in the low 60s, I'm assuming I should use that same temp? Typically with pales and IPAs, I used cal ale yeast and carb bottles at 68°-70, but not sure that's appropriate with the Wyeast 2112

Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #166
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3874 Times on 2829 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlin View Post
What temp did you carb at? Seeing that the yeast ferments in the low 60s, I'm assuming I should use that same temp? Typically with pales and IPAs, I used cal ale yeast and carb bottles at 68°-70, but not sure that's appropriate with the Wyeast 2112
Sure, 70 degrees is fine. I even carb my lagers at 70 degrees.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #167
Bgon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just boxed them up and they were placed in a closet to carb up. So 70 ish degree. Everything has mellowed more and it's a great batch. Will make it again soon.

Primary: Blonde Ale
On Deck: Amber Ale

Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #168
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My cal common finished up at 1.014. I bottled and carbed it for 2 weeks around 70°. Just moved a case of it to the fridge to start lagering in the bottles. Tried one after a few days in the fridge, and noticed an odd off-flavor in the aroma and flavor. Hoping it's just because it's green. Can anyone comment on what I could expect from trying one without allowing lagering time?

UPDATED 6/21
Just popped another one. I'm wondering if it might just be the NB hops. I've used NB in several brews, but not typically for late additions. I think what I may be noticing is a little minty flavor? A little in the nose, and aftertaste.

UPDATED 6/24
Had another yesterday so my visiting brother in law could taste. Didn't notice the off-flavor... and finally was able to see sediment sludge at the bottom of the emptied bottle. So I'm hoping it's just that these needed more time in the fridge to drop the yeast and clear it up.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #169
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
This beer is good- but last night I tasted it head to head with Anchor Steam. One of my impressions is that the commercial version has more late addition hops. Maybe some dry hopping would help it come closer. I think NB hops tend to be harsh in later additions, though, so I'll keep my "clone" as is. My husband and I both prefer my version over the Anchor Steam due to the smoothness I have in mine.
My friend and I brewed the all-grain version of your recipe and it was fantastic. I agree, it is substantially smoother than Anchor Steam. I will totally brew this beer again!

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #170
robertus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just finished brewing this an hour or so ago, have it in the swamp cooler at ~60 now (first time using the swamp cooler). Pitched at 60 - I was expecting to pitch between 65 and 70, but the temp of this beer dropped lightning fast in the ice bath, and adding the chilled top-off water knocked me lower than I'd expected. Still well within acceptable ranges, so no worries. Except that I have two 16-lb bags of ice left over :-).

Anywho, thanks for the recipe and the very smooth brew day.

Quick Reply