Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #141
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpratt View Post
Made this as the extract version with 2x Wyeast starter 2112 and was amazed by the end product in the keg. Going to reproduce the product as an all grain this time. Great recipe!
I drank an Anchor Steam last night and I think I need to make it again too- especially after reading what you said!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #142
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewing this for the second time tonight but with crystal 40 just to mix it up. It turned out great the first time and two of us cashed a keg in under two weeks. Hoping the slightly lighter version will be even more chug-able for the soon coming warmer weather.

How hot have you guys fermented this? I was able to keep it around 58-60 last time but its getting a little bit warmer in my bedroom where I ferment.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #143
kevokie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I need to go buy a six pack of Anchor Steam to compare to the one I brewed. I just bottled this about 10 days ago, and I tried one for SNG's. It's pretty good, but has a little ways to go obviously. I've been drinking a lot of a citra pale ale lately, so the northern brewer hops is definitely a pleasant change for me right now. I want to say that it almost has a minty taste to it...almost. Maybe it's more of a pseudo-minty taste. It's good though. I can't wait until it's properly conditioned.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #144
SanFranBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post
Brewing this for the second time tonight but with crystal 40 just to mix it up. It turned out great the first time and two of us cashed a keg in under two weeks. Hoping the slightly lighter version will be even more chug-able for the soon coming warmer weather.

How hot have you guys fermented this? I was able to keep it around 58-60 last time but its getting a little bit warmer in my bedroom where I ferment.
Pre ferm-fridge I had this at a room temp of around 66 and it turned out just fine. Not quite sure how warm you are talking about.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #145
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranBrewer

Pre ferm-fridge I had this at a room temp of around 66 and it turned out just fine. Not quite sure how warm you are talking about.
When I woke up this morning it was bubbling away and sitting around 66. The other carboys that are just cleaning up/secondary are 63, so I hope it doesn't get too much warmer in there. Thanks for the reassurance though.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #146
SanFranBrewer
Recipes 

Yeah I wouldn't worry if I were you, a CA Common strain has a workable range up to 68, and that is as specified by the yeast producer. Word to the wise, once bottled, anything under 2 weeks of aging will have a terrible smell. Don't be alarmed if you try a 1 week old bottle and get a strong sulfur smell.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #147
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ended up dropping down to 60 after 3 days. I think I should have gone colder first and then raised temp slowly after a day or so. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #148
birtsbrew21
Recipes 

Sorry about that . Anyway me and a couple of friends brewed a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. Everything went perfect had a good mash in at 158 degrees for an hour and didnt loose a degree , then had a perfect sparge to bring us to 12 preboil. Preboil wort gravity was 1.030. Post boil we had an OG of 1.050 so right were we need to be and racked to our fermenting keg were we pitched the yeast in the mid 80's. Good brew day with some good homebrews (lefthand milk stout clone, imperial IPA, and some good samual smiths lager) awsome I can't wait to have this beer on tap at our poker night!

Last edited by birtsbrew21; 03-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #149
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Bitsbrew, did you actually make a comment? You missed the close-quote tag, so I can't tell. Please edit and correct

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #150
Bgon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Want to make this tonight and I have a question. How long after pitching this yeast, how fast should it get to the 55 degree mark? Directions I have from my Homebrew store makes it seem like I wait for 24-36 hours then get it down to the 62-70 degree mark.

My Brown Ale I have, I waited 12 hours (same kind of directions) before getting it to 63 to allow for fermentaion to start well, but this was month or two ago and room temp was a bit lower than it is now. Just wondering if this is where my off taste is coming from in the Brown Ale and not wanting it in the Anchor beer.

Thanks

Quick Reply