Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #101
gigapunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wyeast says 56-68, goin under 50 sounds like a stretch.

then specifically says, "This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation. "

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststr...ail.cfm?ID=131

Do a good starter, and be patient at room temp is my advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #102
sundell
Recipes 

I was thinking the fridge for a lagering stage. It would be nice to result in some lager characteristics. So here's kind of a noob question: After I ferment in the primary for a week (~63F) and rack to a secondary for two weeks (~63F), can I lager the without a keg set up? Can you lager in the bottle or the secondary carboy? Will I have to change the fermenting schedule if I plan to lager?

Beer?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #103
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundell View Post
I was thinking the fridge for a lagering stage. It would be nice to result in some lager characteristics. So here's kind of a noob question: After I ferment in the primary for a week (~63F) and rack to a secondary for two weeks (~63F), can I lager the without a keg set up? Can you lager in the bottle or the secondary carboy? Will I have to change the fermenting schedule if I plan to lager?
Sure, you can lager in the carboy or in the bottle. If you're doing it in the bottle, though, I'd wait until the beer is carbed up and then stick it in the fridge for a few weeks.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #104
Rynolee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just finished a new batch of this, extract style! SG was at 1.048 and keeping it at 68 F, hopefully I'll keep it in the primary for 8-10 days and secondary for 2.5 weeks before keg. Besides a few floaties from SG reading, the beer tastes interesting. We'll see the outcome soon enough and compare to the original.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #105
sundell
Recipes 

Good stuff. Brewed AG version yesterday, OG = 1.050. The mash schedule is spot on, I didn't have to tweak anything regarding H2O temp. I saved 1.2 quarts for kraeusening (first attempt at both spelling and technique). I will probably lager in the bottle cause I only have one carboy, and lots of beers to make! Can't wait. Thanks for the recipe and advice!

Beer?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #106
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

has anyone tried using 34/70 or any other dry lager yeast be used in this recipe?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #107
gigapunk
Recipes 

I tried a kolsch yeast with excellent results. Really brought out the hop aroma and was a lot cleaner tasting and less finicky at the mid 70s without temp control.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #108
Spitfire6
Recipes 

Well, couldn't resist tasting, tasting some more, oh what the heck... let's drink the first keg before lagering! Lucky I made ten gallons! Excellent beer. One of my best, if not the best ever. The second keg will only be lagered a month or so before I take it to an outing where it will be consumed, but I'll bet it will be spectacular.

I think this is very close to Anchor Steam. I'm going to buy a six pack to compare tonight. I think the color is dead on. My version might be a little less hoppy.

Putting this back on the "To Brew List" near the top.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #109
1ratdog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

just had anchor for 1st time today and i gotta brew it. thanks

Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #110
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
brewed this up yesterday with a slight modification on the Crystal additions - added some cara-amber and crystal 40 in place of some of the crystal 60

did a 1L starter with wyaeast 2112 the weekend before hoping to brew then but ended up not being able to so I put it in the fridge after 60hours and decanted the liquid off and warmed to room temp before pitching - was concerned the starter may be too small but already had the blowoff tube bubbling away within 4 hours!

i pitched at 66deg but then put it in my water bath/swamp cooler at 62deg to let it cool the last few deg - planning maintaining around 61-62deg for a couple weeks

really been enjoying this one, as have my friends - need to pick up an anchor steam to try side by side but regardless this is a really smooth balanced beer with great flavor

thanks for the recipe

Quick Reply