Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #41
Displaced MassHole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Never tried it but sounds good to me.....thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #42
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3187 Times on 3090 Posts
Likes Given: 179

I'm going to do this one but I wanted to sub 5.5% Vanguard, a Hallertau clone, as I have a pound of it just kicking back in the freezer that I've not broken into.

I'm thinking that would make a good sub, except that it is supposed to have a strong aroma. If I go with the 60 and 30 minute additions of .75 oz each for 21 IBUs most of the aroma should be boiled off, right?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #43
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
I'm going to do this one but I wanted to sub 5.5% Vanguard, a Hallertau clone, as I have a pound of it just kicking back in the freezer that I've not broken into.

I'm thinking that would make a good sub, except that it is supposed to have a strong aroma. If I go with the 60 and 30 minute additions of .75 oz each for 21 IBUs most of the aroma should be boiled off, right?
That would be my guess. Though you'll get the specific flavoring profile of those hops...but that could be a good thing.

The high malt flavor of this beer will mask some of the hop nuances.
gsutton Likes This 
Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #44
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone have suggestions for a good Wyeast for this recipe??

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #45
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3187 Times on 3090 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
That would be my guess. Though you'll get the specific flavoring profile of those hops...but that could be a good thing.

The high malt flavor of this beer will mask some of the hop nuances.
It's either that or some 13% Galena at 60 minutes. Bulk buying is nice, but kinda limiting I'm finding.

I'm going to have to do some SMaSH batches to see what I'm going to like.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #46
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Disclaimer: Mine is still in primary, so I don't "know" this beer yet. Soon, OHHHH soon. But I would think, judging from the style, that 20IBUs of Galena at 60" could be "safer" than the Vanguard. Or you could also just use Vanguard at 60" bittering, and skip the flavor addition. Like BM said, the malty backbone is the real star.

As for Grinder, sorry I use White Labs for everything. Glancing at their webpage, I'd say 2565 Kolsch yeast would be good, or 1007 German Ale or 1338 European Ale.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #47
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

we used the 1007 German Ale for ours this year, should be fine

I'm back!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #48
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed this one today. Here are my results:

a.) I either mis-ordered or they mis-shipped Safale S-05 instead of S-04, so this might get a bit dry. Oh well. At least it's still a clean-fermenting yeast that won't give me too much ester.

b.) I did a 5.5-gallon batch (5 after losses and shrinkage). I chopped everything in half, except I used 5 lb. of Pilsner malt instead of 4.25 because I didn't know the next time I'd need the extra .75 lb. of crushed pils malt.

c.) The person who suggested using a corny keg as a pre-chiller is a genius!!! Filled the keg with a 22 lb. "Big Bag" of ice, hooked the "in" connect to my hose spigot, and the "out" to my immersion chiller. Cooled my wort to under 90˚ in about 20 minutes.

d.) I may have contaminated my wort. The "Two dollar auto-siphon replacement" or whatever it is (use the search tool) just doesn't work for me. At all. Three brews with the damn thing, and the siphon fails every time. I lost a lot of wort and got a lot of trub this way, plus a possible contamination. I'm investing in an Auto-Siphon.

e.) Five gallon batch, O.G. 1.060, batch sparge efficiency 74% niiiiiiiice

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #49
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
For the extract recipe posted earlier, what are thoughts on replacing either the amber LME or the pale LME with munich LME?
Im not surre how it would turn out honestly. BierMuncher mentioned he used Potassium sorbate to stop fermentaion. Im not sure if this is an option when bottling or not. Might take a look and find a lower attenuating yeast with the same charachteristics. I think im going to try and brew this recipe tomorrow or monday except I will try and replace most of my LME with DME.

You could probably add some 2row to your steep as well to end up with a half assed PM.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #50
ISUBrew79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Got an extra 1/2 of Carapils for a 5.75 gallon batch

I plan on brewing this tomorrow. I'm making half of Muncher's original recipe (5.75 gallons) I purchased my specialty grains at the LHBS and when I got home I realized the store owner gave me an extra 0.5 lb of Carapils. Unfortunately, all the grains are mixed together so I'll have to use it as is. I plan on using Safale US-05 yeast for this, and I know this yeast will have a tendency to really dry out the beer. I'm wondering how the extra Carapils will affect the attenuation. The additional grain should only up my SG about 2 points. I was thinking about lowering the mash temp a bit to negate the effect of the additional carapils on the wort fermentability. Should I keep the mash temp high (156-158*F) to try to keep my FG in the 1.014 range, despite the extra Carapils?

BTW, thanks in large part to this forum I am completely addicted to brewing

Quick Reply