Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #461
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopperfirestarter View Post
Bought the ingredients today. The only thing different is the yeast as the shop owner suggested Nottingham. I was gonna primary 1 week, secondary 3 weeks then keg for 1 week and tap the keg on Halloween. The shop owner said he would primary 1 week, secondary 1 week and then keg and put it in fridge on gas for 3 weeks. What way do you suggest? Thanks!
First, I'd definitely mash around 156-158 with that yeast. Notty chews pretty far down. Second, Primary until it hits terminal gravity, then raise the temp a few 3-5 degrees for a few days. After this, there's nothing a secondary is really going to do for you other than clear the beer if you cold condition it.

I long primaried mine due to keg space limitations and now I've had it on gas in keg for a week. The longer it's in the cold the more conditioning and clearing you'll get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #462
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Very Very high F.G.

So I brewed this beer last Friday and I'm a little scared that I mashed to high. I was trying to get to the mash temp of 157 and ended up right at 160 for a little while. Probably 5 minutes total. I was trying to stir as much as I could to bring down temp but it just wasn't dropping fast enough so I dropped in some cold water to get it to about where I need. By the end of my 60Min mash temps had dropped another 3 or 4 degrees ending at around 154. So I coutinued as usual and didnt think much of it. I finshed everything then pitched my yeast I used S-04. Three days later all fermentation has stoped and was at a gravity of 1.030. Thinking it was a stuck fermenation I tryed to rouse the yeast and raise temps to about 70 was at the low 60's. Three days later still no signs or fermentation and gravity is still at 1.030. Could this be a product of the high mash temps or should I go ahead and pitch some more yeast. I also heard that adding some suger could get my yeast going again.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #463
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce40 View Post
So I brewed this beer last Friday and I'm a little scared that I mashed to high. I was trying to get to the mash temp of 157 and ended up right at 160 for a little while. Probably 5 minutes total. I was trying to stir as much as I could to bring down temp but it just wasn't dropping fast enough so I dropped in some cold water to get it to about where I need. By the end of my 60Min mash temps had dropped another 3 or 4 degrees ending at around 154. So I coutinued as usual and didnt think much of it. I finshed everything then pitched my yeast I used S-04. Three days later all fermentation has stoped and was at a gravity of 1.030. Thinking it was a stuck fermenation I tryed to rouse the yeast and raise temps to about 70 was at the low 60's. Three days later still no signs or fermentation and gravity is still at 1.030. Could this be a product of the high mash temps or should I go ahead and pitch some more yeast. I also heard that adding some suger could get my yeast going again.
IDK, 160 for 5 minutes shouldn't denature all of the beta amylase. Now, if it was 160+ for much more than that, say 10-15 minutes...you could have an issue. You're only what, 6 days in? If you've swirled the fermenter and raised temps, give it a week, then take gravity. If still the same, you might be at terminal gravity with a very dextrinous wort. What was your OG? Might still be a pretty good beer, will just have a big mouthfeel.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #464
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

O.G. Was 1.056. The sample tastes great already just to much sweetness. If it dried out some it would be perfect. Anything that I can do to lower it. I've heard of something that you can put into it that cuts down on the unfermetable sugars and turns them into something the yeast can consume.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #465
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce40 View Post
O.G. Was 1.056. The sample tastes great already just to much sweetness. If it dried out some it would be perfect. Anything that I can do to lower it. I've heard of something that you can put into it that cuts down on the unfermetable sugars and turns them into something the yeast can consume.
beta amylase enzyme might do some of that but I've no experience with it. Search around for this.

Quote:

Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #466
Dmatson89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er

beta amylase enzyme might do some of that but I've no experience with it. Search around for this.
I have used amylase enzyme before and I felt like it took too much body from the beer, granted it was a lighter beer but there was no body at all by the end.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #467
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How much did you use and how many points were taken at the end. I'm just use this if it doesn't move after a week or so. 1.030 is just way to high.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #468
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatson89 View Post
I have used amylase enzyme before and I felt like it took too much body from the beer, granted it was a lighter beer but there was no body at all by the end.
I would use the slightest dose, maybe less than recommended, then wait, check gravity a few times, and see what happens. This stuck gravity situation can take some time to rectify, but it's better than sweet beer.

Quote:

Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #469
Dmatson89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce40
How much did you use and how many points were taken at the end. I'm just use this if it doesn't move after a week or so. 1.030 is just way to high.
I used a tsp for a 5gal batch and it went from .012 all the way to .001. Another option while not normally recommended would be to use the amylase but keep a close eye on it and it the FG gets close to where u want it kill the yeast with something I know there are a lot of routes to go with that. Or just try very small amounts of amylase at a time

Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #470
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatson89 View Post
I used a tsp for a 5gal batch and it went from .012 all the way to .001. Another option while not normally recommended would be to use the amylase but keep a close eye on it and it the FG gets close to where u want it kill the yeast with something I know there are a lot of routes to go with that. Or just try very small amounts of amylase at a time
This, I would use a drop instead of a full tsp. See where that ends up. If still too high, try one more drop. I can't imagine it will take much.

Quote:

Quick Reply