Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #451
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
i just brewed a twisted version of this....
Finally brewing this recipe again. This time brewing it much closer to the original recipe. All the original recipe ingredients at least.

I had a hard time scaling this recipe down to 5.5G because my efficiency is 85% and the recipe is based on 67% efficiency. Rather than 50% of the 8.5lb of pilsner (4.25lb) I had to drop all the way down to 2.25lb. Also had to lower the vienna a bit to get down to 1.050. Anyway, I'm sure it will be great. Wish I had it on tap today.

BierMuncher, have you dialed in the temperature you ferment this at with S04?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #452
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I made this last night as my second all grain. I had a myriad of problems including not having enough sparge water. I over shot the og and came in at 1.070 so I diluted to 1.060. I had a big yeast starter going (German ale/kolsch) and fermentation was going strong within a few hours. This was also my first time crushing my own grains using my ugly junk corona ad my crush may have been too fine, although I still had some grain hulls and I used 1/2 lb of rice hulls, my sparge still was very slow and I had t break up a thick layer of batter on top of my grain bed so the water could flow through.

I have my fingers crossed that it will still taste good, I wish I had added more hops to compensate for the higher gravity. Oh well, any thoughts?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #453
Turfmanbrad
Recipes 

It'll still be beer and your friends won't know the difference.

Brewing drunk requires several batches of experience, brewing drunk. -mrk305-

It might be horrible, it could be great, but it'll definitely be beer!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #454
HIbrew
Recipes 

Brewing up 5G's of this today because it is almost October, and I'm back in the NE after living in Hawaii for a long time. It's tough to appreciate an Octoberfest beer in Hawaii when it is 75* and sunny. ...But I try.

Cooper Hill Amber
Blackberry Wine
Brandon O's Graff

Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #455
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And this is the first batch that has ever blown off my airlock.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #456
mirogster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

3 gal'ish stovetop, BIAB style is in the fermenter. I subbed both crystals with cara amber and cara hell - yeah color is darker, but whatta hell . Home smells bready, toasty and it's already bubbling- 5 hrs in ferm. already. Damn, those crazy S-04

Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #457
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Subscribed

Old 09-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #458
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzo View Post
So I made this last night as my second all grain. I had a myriad of problems including not having enough sparge water. I over shot the og and came in at 1.070 so I diluted to 1.060. I had a big yeast starter going (German ale/kolsch) and fermentation was going strong within a few hours. This was also my first time crushing my own grains using my ugly junk corona ad my crush may have been too fine, although I still had some grain hulls and I used 1/2 lb of rice hulls, my sparge still was very slow and I had t break up a thick layer of batter on top of my grain bed so the water could flow through.

I have my fingers crossed that it will still taste good, I wish I had added more hops to compensate for the higher gravity. Oh well, any thoughts?
Next time don't just break up the grain bed, shut off the flow and stir the whole grist, then vorlauf and repeat. Otherwise you're just letting water channel directly to the manifold/braid rather than rinse any sugar from the grain bed.

Sounds like your crush was great if you got that kind of efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #459
gregkeller
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Decided to brew this and Ed worts version for an Oktoberfest party I'm having 10/21. Only thing I did different was used some pacman yeast instead of s04. Mainly because I'd just gotten it out of a bomber of rouge beer and I wanted to use it real bad. So I mashed a little warmer with the hope of it not drying out too much. So it's probably different from the original quite a bit but still can't wait to try it. If it sucks, I'll use s04 next time, but I'm sure my friends will still drink it

Keg #1 - Claire's IPA (wife's 1st beer post baby)
Keg #2 - Heady Topper clone
Keg #3 - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck- Berliner Weiss.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #460
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Bought the ingredients today. The only thing different is the yeast as the shop owner suggested Nottingham. I was gonna primary 1 week, secondary 3 weeks then keg for 1 week and tap the keg on Halloween. The shop owner said he would primary 1 week, secondary 1 week and then keg and put it in fridge on gas for 3 weeks. What way do you suggest? Thanks!

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Quick Reply