Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #21
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

It's the 5.5% variety, so I set Willamette as 60", but sadly I only have a 1/2 ounce of it.
For the 45" I shoved in 1/2 oz Hersbrucker because I have many open packages of it, and it's pretty ... um ... well, bland. Grassy, and just kinda muted.
Then I put the 1/2 oz of Tett that I have at 30". Still only 11 IBUs.

Alternately, if I use 1/2 oz Magnum for my 60 minute, then the Willamette at 45 and the Tett at 30, that puts me right at 21 IBUs. Hmm. That's a thought.

Can't wait to brew this. I really don't want to wait two weeks, maybe I'll make next weekend a double or triple brew day. Rich's idea of Carrot juice has me intrigued.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher
ArizonaDB Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #22
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mashing in on a 10 gallon batch of this now! Changed the caramel 40 to caramel 60 to compensate for my lighter munich malt. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing as this was fantastic last time I made it! Looking forward to sipping this again this fall! Thanks for another great recipe BierMuncher!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodad View Post
Mashing in on a 10 gallon batch of this now! Changed the caramel 40 to caramel 60 to compensate for my lighter munich malt. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing as this was fantastic last time I made it! Looking forward to sipping this again this fall! Thanks for another great recipe BierMuncher!
Give it a good long time (3-4 weeks) in the primary. With a healthy dose of munich and crystal...even the slightest hint of diacetyl will create too much of a buttery/butterscotch flavor.

Should not be a problem with a full fermentation on a good yeast bed.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #24
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

My ingredients should be here on Friday... I'm trying out the White Labs Platinum Dusseldorf Alt yeast for this brew, especially since it's tolerant of the 65-69 range that I can handle. OMG SO MUCH FUN CAN'T WAIT

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #25
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Give it a good long time (3-4 weeks) in the primary. With a healthy dose of munich and crystal...even the slightest hint of diacetyl will create too much of a buttery/butterscotch flavor.

Should not be a problem with a full fermentation on a good yeast bed.

I always give at least 2 weeks in the primary... Planning 3 for this one though... Since I'm getting a nice backlog of brews stored up these days! :-) And I'm hoping to have this all bottle conditioned right around the first of October...

Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #26
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

This got me thinking. Since an Oktoberfest does not have esters AND pitching onto a yeast cake produces a fast ferment with little esters would this not be a great way to produce a "non-lagered non-ester"beer, suitable to an Oktoberfest style?? Just wondering, what do y'all think. Charlie

Secondary IPA, Brown ale
Primary
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel, Evil Twin
nspaldi0 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
This got me thinking. Since an Oktoberfest does not have esters AND pitching onto a yeast cake produces a fast ferment with little esters would this not be a great way to produce a "non-lagered non-ester"beer, suitable to an Oktoberfest style?? Just wondering, what do y'all think. Charlie
That's kinda the point of the whole OctoberFAST concept.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #28
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
That's kinda the point of the whole OctoberFAST concept.

True dat, good name. I just went through pitching onto a yeast cake.......and if you fast I ain't never seen anything more volatile that that!
Secondary IPA, Brown ale
Primary
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel, Evil Twin

Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #29
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Uh oh. I did something dumb. I was shopping drunk... and bought 10 gal worth of ingredients.... pre mixed. I meant to only buy 5. Guess this goes on hold for a bit. Maybe I can get another brewer to join forces with me next weekend and split the loot... or maybe I'll feel ambitious and try another 10 gal. I made it through the last one alive after all (but a bit worse for the wear).

BM, You'll tell me this recipe's *totally* worth having 10 gal on hand for, right?

Guess I get to make my Apricot Wheat today after all! Now where'd that grain mill go....?

Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #30
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
...BM, You'll tell me this recipe's *totally* worth having 10 gal on hand for, right?
I think so. It's a good all around cold weather beer. Fits the bill well as a cool weather Amber, an Irish Red and of course the caramelly goodness that is an Octoberfest.

Fromt eh first cool nights of September through the long dreary weather of MArch...it's a good sipper.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply