Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 03:27 AM   #211
wheatgerm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What yeast did you use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #212
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
I brewed this about 2 months ago and just started drawing from the keg. The beer doesnt have much carmel taste and is not as sweet as sam adams o-fest (side by side comparison). I also am getting somewhat of a weird smell and taste. I cant really describe it other than it smells like my grandma's house. I know that when i brewed it i missed my mash temp and mashed at 150-152 (bad thermometer). I pitched on a yeast cake of S-04 and did primary for 2 weeks at 68F (hit 74F for about 6 hrs while i slept) and secondary for 4 weeks, keg for 3 weeks. Am i correct assuming the low mash would account for lack of malty carmel and sweetness? I do not understand the weird taste and smell however. I used about 75% RO and 25% hard tap water, ph 5.2 and batch sparge. O-Fest is my fav beer any help would be AMAZING!
My guess would be the combination of low mash temps (more ferment-able) and high ferment temps, the beer over attenuated. Did you take any gravity readings?

Old 08-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #213
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes the OG was right on and the FG was 1.015 (little low). I was hoping that pitching on a yeast cake would compensate for the mistake of having the temp during ferm. get a little high but maybe that hurt it since there was so much yeast (i was bubbling like crazy about 1 hr after pitching). I will brew this again next weekend and was looking to using WLP007. I will aim extra high on my mash temp and i have since modified my swamp cooler so I should hopefully keep ferm temps down. Would I be better to error on the side of lower ferm temps that try and keep it right at 68F?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #214
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
Yes the OG was right on and the FG was 1.015 (little low). I was hoping that pitching on a yeast cake would compensate for the mistake of having the temp during ferm. get a little high but maybe that hurt it since there was so much yeast (i was bubbling like crazy about 1 hr after pitching). I will brew this again next weekend and was looking to using WLP007. I will aim extra high on my mash temp and i have since modified my swamp cooler so I should hopefully keep ferm temps down. Would I be better to error on the side of lower ferm temps that try and keep it right at 68F?
Yeah I would shoot for the low side of the temp range with a swamp cooler as they do have temp swings. I have used 007 @ 64 with good results.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #215
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Bottled this on 8/13/10 after 4 weeks in the primary. It it awesome ! Thanks again BM.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #216
grahamfw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Brewed this last night, hit an OG of 1.053, and put it on top of the yeast cake for a two hearted clone (used US-04). This will be served at my wedding in October and I'm sure the guests will love it!

MindfulBrewing.com - Mindful Brewing Tips

Primary: Belgian Wit
Secondary: Belgian Tripel (half aged on zin oak cubes), Saison
Aging: Imperial Berliner
Kegged: Citra/Nelson Blonde

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #217
mashman
Recipes 

I think mashing this at 156-158 was too warm......I brewed a version of this on Kolsch yeast finished at 1.022 and would not budge....gonna offer a keg up to our neighborhood labor day block party (on sunday) and maybe re-brew it on Monday..(mashing at 154) and dropping it right on a kolsch yeast cake

Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #218
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you rehydrate the dry yeast or just pitch directly from the packet?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #219
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it was on a full yeast cake

Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #220
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When i brew this tomorrow, should i just pitch the packet of yeast on it, or should i rehydrate it first?

Quick Reply