Bernerbrau Amarillo Amber
I threw this one together today as an attempt at making a malty amber with a simple hop character. Will try to get to it later this year.
3.5 lbs Crisp Maris Otter
3 lbs Weyermann Vienna
2.5 lbs Gambrinus Dark Munich
1 lb Briess Caramel 20
0.5 lb Briess Victory
1 oz Amarillo (8.0%) @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 20
1 oz Amarillo @ Flameout
Irish Moss - 15 minutes
Single infusion mash, 13 quarts + 1/2 cup @ 149F for 60 minutes
Batch sparge to collect ~7 gallons
Ferment 5 weeks at 70 F and bottle with 4 oz corn sugar.
I brewed this two weeks ago and pulled a sample just now while moving to secondary. The malts play nicely together and the amarillo gives an unexpected initial aroma that meshes well with the mouthfeel and flavor. The finish is pleasant and refreshing. It'll be nice to see how this one turns out. This is likely one I'll be repeating.
This has gotten even better since bottling. Anyone willing to swap to critique?
looking forward to trying my bomber out, I will try it this weekend I am sure. Thanks brownie
I just completed a re-brew of this on Sunday. I modified the bill slightly to accommodate the grains I have on hand:
1.0lb Crystal 15
0.5lb Crystal 40
The mash was weird - I overshot and wound up mashing at 160. After half an hour I recirculated the entire runnings twice, and the mash temp dropped to 142. I let that go another half hour. An iodine test confirmed conversion, so I'm expecting this to finish very close to 1.000.
I also added a bit of Centennial for bittering, and pushed the Amarillo additions later into the boil. The Amarillo I got is a bit higher Alpha than last time, and the Centennial is significantly lower than I'm used to. It brings the IBUs to about 47.3, according to BeerSmith.
0.2oz Centennial (8.3) @ 60
1oz Amarillo (9.2) @ 30
1oz Amarillo (9.2) @ 15
1oz Amarillo (9.2) @ 1
I had a bit of a kerfuffle with the False Bottom assembly and long story short, I wound up hands deep (with a precautionary spritz of star san) in the cooled wort trying to get the last of my wort into the fermenter. But hey, no brew day is complete without at least one screw-up. I'm converting to a pickup tube before my next brew.
Finally, I decanted and pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast #1272 that I made on my stirplate the weekend before. It's been a while since I've had this one, so my ability to compare is going to be a bit fuzzy, but I'm anticipating this turning out well.
Notes on the re-brew: Fresh lively grapefruit taste and aroma is front and center. The Vienna malt holds up well against the hops but doesn't overwhelm. The Centennial comes to play in the finish and helps keep this beer from finishing too thin. Overall yeast character is subtly fruity rounding out this beer nicely. Color is a wonderful bright copper.
It's strongly reminiscent of the original brew (funny how tastes and smells jog your memory!).
I may have to put this one in a competition.
It looks and sounds great!
|All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.