Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #71
uabericm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this last night and hit on OG of 1.069 for an efficiency of only 71%.

This brew is going to be awesome.

Efficiency could be better, but only my 2nd AG and I need to hurry up and get another few kegs so I can condition.

Keg Carbonation Calc Pitching Rate Calc HBT Starter Calc

Last edited by uabericm; 08-30-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 AM   #72
wedward
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I checked my gravity tonight and am down to 1.028 (1.034 4-5 days ago) from an OG of 1.080. According to BeerSmith, that's 6.81% (targets were 1.076 -> 1.018 for 7.61%). I think I need to scale back on the grain as I must be getting higher than 75% eff. (new MLT I thought would be worse).

Should I let it ride or pitch more yeast to finish lower? It tastes great, but I'm not in too much of a hurry. I plan to crash cool it and lager for another 2-3 weeks at 35F.
Any suggestions welcome...

Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #73
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ed,

is 5.5 gallons your volume in the fermenter, or in the bk prior to transfer. I do not have vienna malt, but do have 55 pounds of maris otter. do you think i could substitute this?

maybe 4.5 pounds of maris otter, 1 pound of vienna? Just trying to limit the amount of grain i have to pay $2.00 a pound for at the LHBS.

Thanks

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #74
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I'd have to say that the munich and vienna are crucial to this recipe. I don't think marris otter can substitute. It wouldn't ruin the beer, for sure, but it won't be what it could be IMO.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #75
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am cooking up this recipe Saturday. Have alrready done BierMuncher's one and will be nice to compare this 2. also doing Haus Pale Ale again.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #76
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

help with the brew. I got the stuff to do it and wanted to double check some things with it.

1st. for the single infusion am I adding the rec. amount of water letting it sit for 90 min. Do i need to do a protein rest or ascid rest?

2. I do not have the capability to cold crash but I will be adding irish moss near end of boil will this be okay for the flavor?

thanks in advance

Last edited by ekjohns; 09-04-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #77
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlammer View Post
Ed,

is 5.5 gallons your volume in the fermenter, or in the bk prior to transfer. I do not have vienna malt, but do have 55 pounds of maris otter. do you think i could substitute this?

maybe 4.5 pounds of maris otter, 1 pound of vienna? Just trying to limit the amount of grain i have to pay $2.00 a pound for at the LHBS.

Thanks
An English Malt for a German beer???? If that is all you have, then go for it, otherwise I would use Munich malt.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #78
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I am now enjoying my second go at this one (this time I hit my OG dead on instead of being so high). The color is just awesome.

In the spirit of experimentation I think I will try using nottingham at 60*F next time. I am trying to cut back on using liquid yeast whenever I can and I'm not sure how much I love this kolsch yeast. Only way to know is to try it out.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #79
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

i brewed this beer a coupe months and with kolsch yeast and hit the final gravity on the dot. After a little over 2 weeks in the primary i took a gravity reading after the airlock bubbled once every 50 sec and it read 1.014 and fig it was good enought as i had a friend over to help bottle. So i went ahead and bottled and let it sit for 2 weeks and tried my "2 week" beer. It cardinated fine but had this awful rotten egg smell but didnt taste bad. So I fig i would wait and try it again after a few more weeks. Its now been in the bottles for a little over a month and it still has that nasty smell. It isnt as bad but still to the point where its strong enough its hard to drink. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I am afraid that since its in the bottles the smell is trapped in! Is there anyway this smell will go away. I just got a keg system can i transfer to a keg? I really would like to have some tasty oktoberfest so I am all ears for a way to save this brew (kolsh was ferm. at 66F)

Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #80
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

the german ale/kolsch yeast tends to put out a strong sulphur smell. Your beer might have reached terminal gravity, but it is possible the little yeast guys were not finished cleaning up their mess (the smell).
if it were me, i'd put a bunch of bottles in the 'fridge and let it cold condition for a few more weeks. the OP does this w/ the kegs (see the fermentation notes on the 1st page).

Quick Reply