Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #191
alowell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlr25 View Post
So what is the general consensus on the fermentation temp for WLP029? Is fermenting at 60 for the entire time the best method or at 65 for a week and then 60 for the rest of the ferment?

I will be brewing this in 1 week and will be making a 2 liter starter and just trying to nail down what temp I'm going to set it to. Thanks!

Ditto. I'm brewing this next weekend! I'll probably prep a 1.5x normal starter and start fermentation at 60F and hold for 3 weeks. If I notice a lag in the first 2-3 days, I'll pump up the temp a bit. I will then lager for 2 months and that shoudl put me right at the end of September.

I'm excited and finally planned an Oktoberfest...usually I think of it in the fall..too late

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #192
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Neither of my closest LHBS's have these grains in German, will this alter the beer significantly?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #193
Badger462
Recipes 

I have the same probablem with the high temps, I put my carboy in a cooler lid open of cource Tshirt, (heavy cotton not sure it matters), and every day I put two frozen water bottles in it. It seemed to work but it was hard to tell if the temp was constant. I made a hefe that time. If someones knows of a way to keep the temp constant or close to it I would be greatful. My basment will fluctuate it the heat of the day it is about 76 at night it drops to as low as 68, as soon as the son goes down the ambient dropps quick here in CO.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #194
stalewater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
I am cooking up this recipe Saturday. Have alrready done BierMuncher's one and will be nice to compare this 2. also doing Haus Pale Ale again.
How did they compare, im ready to brew one of these and i dont know which one to brew!!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #195
rwagner23
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I might be pushing my luck on this, but I'm hoping to brew a double batch this weekend with the hopes one might be in a keg and ready by the 22nd of September. The other would be for a wedding in Nov so that should be good.

Keg Aging:
Bottles:Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Irish Red, Clone's Amber Ale

Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #196
scratchex
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I really want to brew this but the issue I have is with the fermentation temps. The room where I typically ferment my brews is around 65-67F. The other option I have would be to store/ferment in our Keezer which is set to 40F. I'm assuming 40F would be too cold?

Another route I could go would be to buy a small fridge & put a Johnson Control on it to set a specific temps for fermenting.

Thoughts?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #197
graybeard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I love this recipe, and many/most of the people I share it with have said this is the best beer I've made. (Below are the 3rd and 4th batches I've made. That's not counting the 2 batches where I've used it as a base for pumpkin ale in past years.)

EdWort (and some others) make reference to "pitching this on a yeast cake from another batch of beer". I confess I don't know if this is a colloquial expression that means "reused the washed yeast from a prior batch," or, "I dumped the new wort into the just-vacated fermenter from a prior batch, literally on top of the yeast left in the bottom of the fermenter."

I brewed up a batch of the O-fest on 8/12 using a new smack pack of WY2565 and a 1L starter. This was the first time I've had to use a blow-off tube for any of my beers. Nice yeasties.

On Sat 8/28, I racked this to secondary, and was going to brew another O-fest to dump in the fermenter (literal interpretation), but I chickened out. Instead, I harvested and washed the yeast, letting it settle overnight. I put the clean stuff in another 1L starter, and brewed the new batch on Sunday. Had to install a blow-off tube on Monday. Heh heh.

The washed yeast thing seems to have worked out OK, but I was wondering if I could have saved some time by fermenting the new wort on the old (unwashed) yeast.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #198
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
The washed yeast thing seems to have worked out OK, but I was wondering if I could have saved some time by fermenting the new wort on the old (unwashed) yeast.

Thanks.
pitching on the yeast cake means exactly what you thought it meant. rack a beer to secondary or to keg and put a new batch right on top. I've done this when making a BIG beer.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #199
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I was thinking of giving this one a shot and doing a double decoction mash just to keep it a litle more traditional. plus I find that a decoction mash imparts a flavor that is difficult to reproduce any other way. think it'd be worth it?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #200
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So last year I made a 10 gallon batch. Drank one keg and put one away, well I forgot about it(the problem with 40 kegs). Tapped it for this year and it is good, different from what I remember. Actually taste a bit maltier ans sweeter, not sure if it was different yeast or what.

My hop stopper

Quick Reply