Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > Extract - American Amber/Wheat/Blonde Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
scottmd06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well it's looking like you're missing a pound of something. OG should have been 1.039 if the steeping of that wheat hit at least 75% efficiency =/ What temp was the wort when you took the gravity reading? Depending on the temperature of the sample the gravity could have read lower or higher as well..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

60•F

Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

strange... and you added 3lbs Extra Light, 1lb Amber, and steeped the wheat?

whatever happened i'm sorry if it was from misinformation on my behalf. just not as much alc. in this one I guess =/

Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My final recipe was 3# Golden Light, 1# Amber, and 1# CaraWheat steeped. I'm actually looking forward to a lower gravity brew this time. My last beer was a particularly heavy porter.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Alrighty then. I love the flavor it created by infusing an amber, a wheat, and a light. It was just enough of each to get a little bit of what I like out of each style, and the Willamette hops are a very light hop and I only used a little..

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to try this beer: even with all the problems I had, it aged extremely well. By the time I got to the last 6-pack this week, it was one of the best beers I have ever made. If I had the patience to brew a batch and let it alone for a year, I would.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just started a batch of this! It's actually my first batch. It smells great out of the fermentor and i can't wait to bottle and taste it!

Unfortunately i couldn't follow your recipe entirely because my brew shop ran out of the AME but i'm sure it will be great in any case. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
tonyscha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used this recipe as a base, ended up doing a partial mash of it, but added lemon/orange zest to the secondary, by far the best beer I have made to date. Everyone loves it, need to start another one!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
AndyMac81
Recipes 

How dark does this beer turn out?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
CharlieL
Recipes 

I have brewed the beer that scottmd06 posted as well as the beer that DMartin brewed. These two are totally different beers, but AWSOME. I will be making them both again and again. I think I may try a different hop next time or more of the same hop. Not sure yet. Maybe cascade..? I have posted pic's of the two so you can get the idea of color. Scottmd06 on the right and DMartin on the left. All in all two great beers that are real easy to make very easy to drink. They par great with just about any food.

My results for scottmd06 brew was not bad. My OG was higher by two and my FG was higher by 1. This beer is very clean and smooth refreshing taste with a little citrus/spice at the end. I found if you left it in the fridge for at least 3 to 5 days it was crystal clear when pored and has nice bubbles floating up for as long as you drink it. For me that was abut 2 mins. This is not exactly like a blond but it is a lot more on the blonde side of the beer spectrum then the DMartin's batch.

Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV: 4.50%
IBU: estimate 13
Color: 4L

DMartin's brew came out different. Not sure what his OG and FG was but here are my below. I know that they would be off because there are different ingredients. The ABV came out a little higher but not much then Scottmd06. It has a nice multie aroma. It is also very clean and refreashing taste with not as much citrus/spice taste. But yet very smooth and good. Very drinkable and more on the amber side of the spectrum. This beer will also clear up very very nice if left in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.

Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV: 4.08%
IBU: 14
Color: 14L

I love making Beer! I can' wait to make more......

img_0588.jpg  

Quick Reply