A very good Alt, on the bitter side for the hopheads
08B. Koelsch And Altbier, Duesseldorf Altbier All-grain
ABV 5.2 %
Boil Volume 6.5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA
OG 1.040 1.053 1.055
FG 1.012 1.013 1.019
IBU 40 56 60
SRM 11 13 19
ABV 5 5.2 5.5
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
83.2 % 8.00 German Munich 44.4 12.8
10.4 % 1.00 American Two-row Pale 5.6 0.4
5.2 % 0.50 American Crystal 60L 2.6 6.0
1.2 % 0.12 British Pale Chocolate 0.6 4.8 ( or carafa I )
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
85.7 % 3.00 Hallertau Hersbruck Pellet 4.5 13.5 60 0.276 55.7
14.3 % 0.50 Hallertau Hersbruck Pellet 4.5 2.3 0 0.000 0.0
Mash @ 152 for 60 mins
Substitute hops as you see fit
I will sub Galena or other soft bittering hop to lessen the cost if needed
I brewed this about a month ago. Three weeks in primary, then bottled.
Taken my first sip, and... oh yeah. This is good. Really good.
Due to Dumbassedness, and ignorance, I did however change the recipe slightly.
My online HBS didn't have pale chocolate, so I picked up some ordinary. No biggie, since I didn't add enough anyway (my kitchen scale has problems with accuracy). Came out a bit lighter.
I bought Caraamber instead of Crystal 60, due to my being a beertard. I didn't allow for differences between SRM and EBC when ordering. No biggie.
I used Hallertauer Perle instead of Hersbrucker, because they didn't have it in stock (about a week after brew day, they got in a shipment :cross:). No biggie. Close enough.
Began fermentation a little higher, then dropped down to 50f (10c), since the room I had initially planned to ferment in had quite drastic swings in temperature.
Decocted, did a split boil (didn't have a large enough pot, so split the wort between 2 3 gallon pots. Used Deathbrewer's stovetop method.
Original Gravity was 1.050. Pretty close. Beersmith calculated my efficiency at 72%, as I recall.
So, 3 weeks at 50f. Took a sample at day 8. SG at 1.012. Taste from hydrometer was divine. Strong, but not overpowering malt backbone. Pleasant bitterness. Already looking to be a winner.
Final Gravity came out to about 1.008 (I read 1.010, but my hydrometer reads about 2 points too high). Lower than expected, and a little out of style, but who cares? Calculated ABV at 5.5, also out of style. Meh, what's style got to do with it?
Bottled, which was an experience in itself. They've been resting at 70f for a week now. Threw some bottles in the fridge last night and tasted today. Awesome. Really good stuff. Although the beer has a surprising kick. Feeling a bit floaty after about 3 (small) glasses.
All in all, a successful brew. This recipe is highly recommended.
If you can let them sit for a month or two or three without drinking them you will be rewarded with a better, smoother beer
I'm glad you like it
I should add that this is my smaller version of Denny Conn's Uber Alt, so it has a good pedigree
I'm planning on cellaring them after 3 weeks of carbonation. Couldn't resist having a sample or two though.... y'know... just to check on progress :D
|All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.