Yakima Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 56-62 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days, last 3 at 48 F
Tasting Notes
A very crisp, refreshing brew. Balanced bitterness and dry hop goodness!
Enjoy this clear beer! :mug:
P6290015.jpg

At 3% ABV this is a perfect summer session
P6290016.jpg

Grains:

.5 lb American Crystal/Caramel 10L
.5 lb Dextrine Malt (CaraPils)

Extract:

4 lbs Extra-lite Dry Malt Extract

Hops:

.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 45 min.)
.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 30 min.)
.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 0 min.)
.5 oz Yakima Goldings Dry Hop in Secondary

Procedure:

Place grains in 6.5 gallons of cool water and raise the temperature to 150 F. Turn off and steep for 30 minutes. Discard grains and proceed with boil.

Notes:

• Gelatin was added to the 2ndary, 3 days before bottling. The temp was brought down to 48F
  • Bottld with 4.75 oz of Cane Sugar

I would say somebody like Yakima hops! Looks good....i might convert this down to a 2 or 3 gallon and try it out

Cool, This is a very basic light-bodied brew that can be manipulated which ever way you want, i.e. malty, balanced, bitter, dry, etc. I'm going to be toying around with this recipe a lot.

Brew on! :mug:

Dave

I have this one fermenting right now! I liked the simplicity of it and I already had almost everythig but the Yakima so it cost me very little to brew up.

Thanks for the posted recipe.

-Tripod

I have this one fermenting right now! I liked the simplicity of it and I already had almost everythig but the Yakima so it cost me very little to brew up.

Thanks for the posted recipe.

-Tripod

Good deal, simplicity is the friggen best...that's why im sooooo addicted to SMaSH ales! :rockin:

I can't find Yakima Goldings at my LHBS. What would be a good replacement?

I'm drinking this one now and Loving it! I get a lot of compliments, too so kudos to the OP! :mug:

-Tripod

I brewed this recipe with East Kent Goldlings since I couldn't find Yakima. Turned out awsome. My favorite beer yet. Perfectly balanced.

Thanks for the recipe!

I'm tying to brew this. I moved it to the secondary after 14 days. It's been 16 days in the sec. and I still have bubbles rising up the sides of the carboy. m getting anxious to bottle. This is my first extract batch.

I brewed today an AG Imperialized version. I was originally set to make a 7.5 gallon batch, but due to efficiency issue i dropped the volume to 5 gallons leaving me with a OG of 1.064! Let's see how this one turns out.

FishinDave

UPDATE:

Moved to secondary on 4th day of fermentation. F.G. is 1.012. Warm and flat it tastes great. This is going to turn out to be a nice APA

I have been looking for a honey blonde, and this looks great except for the honey. Thinking of just throwing a pound of honey into this recipe as is, but this will only be my fifth batch, so any advice would be appreciated.

Can anyone help me out with advice on making this a honey blonde? Can I just add a lb of honey or should I adjust in other ways?

you may want to search adding honey because there is a bunch of information on HBT about the topic but generally:

Adding honey dries out the beer. You'll want to heat it to kill of the bugs but don't boil because it will kill the flavor.

I brewed this with East Kent Goldings, LME, and 1 quart of raspberries in the secondary. It turned out rather tasty with just a hint of raspberry. Thanks for the great simple recipe to use as the base.

I was wondering about fermentation temps they seem lower than what i usually use. how would a say 70 to 72 degree temp work versus a lower 60 temp?

Brewed this recipe yesterday with the following mods:
* Bumped the LME to 5lbs
* Used Kent Goldings hops
* Added .5lb of Vienna Malt to the steep
* Combined flame-out and secondary hops at flame-out.

Made a starter using 1 cup of LME in a quart of water 2 days prior and pitched at 60 degrees. Within 2-3 hours I had signs of fermentation. After 5 hours I had major blow-off! Fermenting steady now at 67 degrees. Will ferment this out and then secondary in the Keezer for 3 weeks.

Bought enough ingredients to make a second batch. Will be kegging both batches and enjoying this through summer.

Bumping a good beer! Looks like long time no posts!

I used the recipe but used DME to get a
OG of 1.045

My FG was 1.009

Couldn't find Yakima hops so I used East Kent.

Used Wyeast Nottingham.

Gave it 2.5 weeks in primary. Racked to secondary to free up my primary
for a new brew.. Aged in secondary for another 2 weeks. The pic is after bottled for about 3 weeks.

Fantastic beer!

17785_4115116482936_1391551629_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back