Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Tiber's Perfect Kölsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #41
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Tiber, thanks for the recipe. I just won first place in Wootown Brewer's competition "Barley Legal 2" for light hybrid ale with this recipe!
Hey, great! Congrats on the win! Glad the recipe worked out for you!
1. Pale 2. Pale 3. Ger Pils 4. Ger Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #42
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Kegged more of this recently. I've gotten requests from friends & family and I'm always pleased to make more.

Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering)

Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #43
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I'm gonna bump this thread as I'm doing a Kolsch in a couple weeks and searching for a recipe. I've decided on this one, but wanted to clarify something that I've been reading on other lager posts. Since this is a brew that requires lagering, would a D-rest be needed? I've also read a number of threads that say closer to 50 degrees is better for a Kolsch style. This is the first lager type brew I'm making so do excuse the ignorance. I will be making a 10 gallon batch and breaking it and adding .5 lb of honey to one of the 5 gallons buckets.

Thanks in advance for the help guys! Really looking forward to this one.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #44
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauthier20420 View Post
Since this is a brew that requires lagering, would a D-rest be needed?
It's recommended, but not entirely necessary. I've done with and without a d-rest for this beer and had success both ways. Keep in mind, however, that I ferment at about 62F on average, not 50F.

Quote:
I've also read a number of threads that say closer to 50 degrees is better for a Kolsch style.
It might be a matter preference. The WLP029 Kölsch yeast does really well at 58-64ish for a good balance of flavors while keeping that lager-like crispness. I've never tried fermenting this one any colder than 59-60F before. This, again, is a matter of preference, so you may want to experiment a bit yourself and see what you like.

If you do ferment at 50 or so, I would strongly recommend a d-rest.
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #45
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

So I'm going to be brewing a 10 gallon batch next Saturday. Planning on following the recipe (accounting for efficiency) and separating it into 2 buckets and into the temp controlled fridge. Making a 4L starter to split between them of Wyeast 2565 (I'm fond of the brand really). Will ferment at 59-60 until gravity is 2-3 points from the FG then raise temps to 65-68 for 2-3 days. Then cold crash in the buckets in the same fridge for another 3 days then keg.

One of the 5 gallons will be getting 3 pineapples sliced and diced and put into a sanitized bag while lagering. Not sure how long it will stay in there. I'll likely take some small tastes after we hit the 1 week mark to see how the flavors are melding. Probably will leave the other 5 gallons to itself to have a good understanding of what the base flavors will be.

Comments on this plan anyone?

Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #46
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
So I'm going to be brewing a 10 gallon batch next Saturday. Planning on following the recipe (accounting for efficiency)
Note that I would recommend adjusting only the base malt for your efficiency, not the wheat and Munich.

Quote:
One of the 5 gallons will be getting 3 pineapples sliced and diced and put into a sanitized bag while lagering. Not sure how long it will stay in there.
Well that's different! Let us know how that goes. It is a good idea and will be nice to have the plain recipe in your other carboy for comparison and a good reference for the style.

Good luck with your brew!

TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #47
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

Break this on Saturday over the weekend. First time using the new setup with pump and quick disconnects. Everything went very smoothly. Prior to doing that brew, I ran a couple tests on amount of loss in the kettle and all the seals were good. Didn't run a test for boil off though, so we boiled down to 8.5. I'm only getting around 65% efficiency for some reason, so we actually ended up at the 1.047 goal with this volume. Currently sitting in a temp controlled fridge at 60 degrees for a few weeks. I'll take a refractometer read around 2 weeks to make sure we are progressing as we should. I've attached a picture of the set up and also a picture of the sparge arm that is attached to the underside of the MT. With this, I just set the correct flow rate with the valve on my pump and can walk away for the whole thing (although you never really do). Oh, and I sparge for 90 minutes on this batch....not sure if that had anything to do with efficiency.

20130706_120605.jpg   20130706_102616.jpg  

Old 07-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #48
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

If anyone is still following this thread and can comment that would be great.

So the batch has been sitting at 60 now for 5 days (since last Saturday) and has already gone from 12P to 6.6P. That's 1.047 to 1.013....in 5 days!!! This seems fast, but again this is my first Kolsch yeast and fermentation at such a low temp, so I'm open to opinions on this.

I''m expecting it to be closer to 1.010 by this weekend. I will then move it up to 68 degrees for a D-rest (to be on the safe side) for 2-4 days. Then, I'll drop it to the upper 30's for a couple days for a short cold crash, and then rack to the kegs for lagering.

Anyone care to comment on this process? Thanks!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #49
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

**Update**

Again, not sure if anyone is following this so. Well we ended up around 1.009 for FG which is a good number for me. There were no sulfar smells or anything so did a D-rest for only 3 days then crashed for 2 then kegged. Currently sitting in the kegerator under 30 psi to get carbed up and then let it continue to lager. I wanted to carb it so I can get a feeling of how it ages.

Planning on kegging the other 3.5 gallons this evening with the pineapple. Once the 5 gallons is done carbing, I'll begin carbing this one.

Overall is smells great right now. I'll update later once I'm able to get a taste.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #50
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
**Update**

Again, not sure if anyone is following this so. Well we ended up around 1.009 for FG which is a good number for me. There were no sulfar smells or anything so did a D-rest for only 3 days then crashed for 2 then kegged. Currently sitting in the kegerator under 30 psi to get carbed up and then let it continue to lager. I wanted to carb it so I can get a feeling of how it ages.

Planning on kegging the other 3.5 gallons this evening with the pineapple. Once the 5 gallons is done carbing, I'll begin carbing this one.

Overall is smells great right now. I'll update later once I'm able to get a taste.
Sounds like it's coming along quite nicely.
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Quick Reply