Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Tiber's Perfect Kölsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #31
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Awesome, glad the beer is coming along so well. Trust me, this one gets better with age. Patience will be rewarded for sure.

Please let me know your final thoughts when you taste the finished beer!

TB

1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #32
celts
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why did you use Saaz and Hallertau for your bittering hops? What effect does this bring out instead of only using one type? And why scrape off the hot break?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #33
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

looks great. i think i'll try this this weekend. decided to make an 11g kolsch this weekend instead of cream ale, so this is it

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #34
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts View Post
Why did you use Saaz and Hallertau for your bittering hops? What effect does this bring out instead of only using one type? And why scrape off the hot break?
Good questions!
I used Hallertau and Saaz for bittering because I love both of their bittering properties, so I figured that I would combine them. I also use both for early favoring, so that keeps it consistent, for whatever that's worth. You could use one or the other for bittering and get good results too.

I scrape off the hot break whenever I brew pale lagers and German ales (unless I FWH). This leaves less break material to be removed in the kettle from whirlpool, and improves clarity. I know professional brewers who do this as well. In fact, it was a professional brewer who gave me the idea. Don't worry if you skip this part; you can still get a clear product if you use Irish moss and get good coagulation and a good whirlpool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
looks great. i think i'll try this this weekend. decided to make an 11g kolsch this weekend instead of cream ale, so this is it
Great! Looking forward to your feedback when it's done!

TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2

Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #35
celts
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
Good questions!
I used Hallertau and Saaz for battering because I love both of their bittering properties, so I figured that I would combine them. I also use both for early favoring, so that keeps it consistent, for whatever that's worth. You could use one or the other for bittering and get good results too.

I scrape off the hot break whenever I brew pale lagers and German ales (unless I FWH). This leaves less break material to be removed in the kettle from whirlpool, and improves clarity. I know professional brewers who do this as well. In fact, it was a professional brewer who gave me the idea. Don't worry if you skip this part; you can still get a clear product if you use Irish moss and get good coagulation and a good whirlpool.

Great! Looking forward to your feedback when it's done!

TB
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying why you scrape off the hot break. What bittering properties are you looking for? I was under the impression that alpha acid is alpha acid and at 60 minutes, all the flavor and aroma will be boiled off.

And thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it as a somewhat new brewer. I'll probably be brewing this one up real soon.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #36
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying why you scrape off the hot break. What bittering properties are you looking for? I was under the impression that alpha acid is alpha acid and at 60 minutes, all the flavor and aroma will be boiled off.
That not necessarily true. There are three types of alpha acids in focus here - humulone, adhumulone, and cohumulone. It is said that the cohumulone alpha acids impart a harsher bitterness, and noble hops are typically much lower in cohumulones than other varieties. This property gives hops such as Saaz and Hallertau a more smooth and pleasant bitterness. They differ slightly between the two, but I just love both, so that's why I used both.

Quote:
And thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it as a somewhat new brewer. I'll probably be brewing this one up real soon.
Hey, no problem. I'm glad to help. Hope this recipe works well for ya.

TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #37
Powers
Recipes 

Tiber, I had to check back in and give you a kudos on this excellent brew! I brewed the first batch for the Kegs for the Cure cancer benefit, and it was a hit. There were six other home brewers at the event, and this was the easy crowd favorite. After a couple weeks of lagering, this beer was super clear. I followed your directions on scraping off hot break and did some other clarifying work (vorlauf, lagering). Very fine beer. Thanks for the recipe--I was damn glad I bought enough ingredients for a second batch after the event!

Notes:
In my two batches, the only variation was water. I used pure reverse osmosis water for the first batch, and it was outstanding. I used spring water from our cabin for the second batch with a higher mineral content, and it was not quite as good as the first batch. Still very good, but not as technically sound as the first one. I recommend a very soft water for this brew.

I also used Perle hops for bittering on both batches and found them to be very adequate on imparting a smooth bitterness. I agree that Saaz and Hallertau would be good, but was trying to save a few bucks and Perle worked fine.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #38
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Tiber, I had to check back in and give you a kudos on this excellent brew! I brewed the first batch for the Kegs for the Cure cancer benefit, and it was a hit. There were six other home brewers at the event, and this was the easy crowd favorite. After a couple weeks of lagering, this beer was super clear. I followed your directions on scraping off hot break and did some other clarifying work (vorlauf, lagering). Very fine beer. Thanks for the recipe--I was damn glad I bought enough ingredients for a second batch after the event!
That's great! I'm glad the beer turned out well. It really is a crowd pleaser for a variety of people, and I try to keep this one on tap for a several months out of the year.

Quote:
Notes:
In my two batches, the only variation was water. I used pure reverse osmosis water for the first batch, and it was outstanding. I used spring water from our cabin for the second batch with a higher mineral content, and it was not quite as good as the first batch. Still very good, but not as technically sound as the first one. I recommend a very soft water for this brew.
I've used distilled water before with good results too. Of course, when I brew this with charcoal filtered tap water, it's still pretty good, just not as soft.

Quote:
I also used Perle hops for bittering on both batches and found them to be very adequate on imparting a smooth bitterness. I agree that Saaz and Hallertau would be good, but was trying to save a few bucks and Perle worked fine.
That's fine. You could also use Northern Brewer hops to save some bucks. They're low in cohumulones, high in alphas, and taste good.

Cheers!
TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #39
Powers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
That's fine. You could also use Northern Brewer hops to save some bucks. They're low in cohumulones, high in alphas, and taste good.
TB
exactly my thinking, and the Perles are borne out of a Northern Brewer strain

Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #40
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Tiber, thanks for the recipe. I just won first place in Wootown Brewer's competition "Barley Legal 2" for light hybrid ale with this recipe!

Quick Reply