Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Tiber's Perfect Kölsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
Powers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just adjusted my hop schedule I scratched out last week to 20 min instead of 30 minute additions:

60: 0.6 oz Perle (8.2%)
20: 0.5 oz Saaz (3.1%)
20: 0.5 oz Hallertau (3.8%)

ProMash estimates 29 IBUs for this schedule

EDIT: I ended up with this hop schedule:

60: 0.65 oz Perle (7.8%)
20: 0.35 oz Saaz (3.1%)
20: 0.35 oz Hallertau (3.8%)

ProMash estimates ~26 IBUs for this schedule

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
I noted the disparity, my Saaz is only 3.1%. Just for fun and to use up my grain, I believe I'm going to use 10 lbs of Pils, 1.5 lbs of pale wheat, and 1 lb of Munich per 5.5 gallon batch. My efficiency on my homemade mash tun is a sad 60%, but this delivers me 1.056 starting gravity. So, I might increase the hop additions slightly to balance the larger grain bill.
That might be a bit much for the wheat and Munich. If you're merely adjusting for efficiency, just tweak the pilsner malt. If you're doing a 5.5 gal recipe, I'd use .5 lb each of wheat malt and Munich. Your estimated OG seems a bit on the high side, is that what you are going for? Even at low temps, I got good attenuation from the Koelsch yeast, so you might end up with more ABV than planned.
1. Pale 2. Pale 3. Ger Pils 4. Ger Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering)

Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
Powers
Recipes 

oops, just adjusted my batch size to 5.5 gal instead of 5 gallons. that took it down to 1.049. then i adjusted my wheat and munich down to .5 lb each, which moved the gravity to 1.043. that's a bit low for my alcohol tolerance so I'll probably keep the wheat at 1.5 lbs. shouldn't impact flavor too much, and my philosophy is that if you're going to make it, might as well make it with a little kick. i can't go above 10 lbs on the pils because i need two batches out of 20 lbs.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

If you have any 2-row pale malt, I'd add some of that instead of more wheat, but that's just me. One of the things I like about this beer is that it doesn't have a lot of wheat character like some of the other recipes I've tried. It's a delicate balance with a beer like this one. I'm sure it will be a fine beer either way! Good luck!

Let me know your thoughts once you taste it.

Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering)

Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
Powers
Recipes 

good call, tiber. i actually gravitated toward your recipe over a few others because of the lower wheat content. i was also looking at EdWort's kolsch, but elected to go this route. i will venture down to the LHBS and pick up a couple lbs of pale malt.

i expect to ferment at 62-64 and am looking for good attenuation. rare is the beer i make below 5%. but i appreciate your comment about the delicate balance on a beer like this, and will tread lightly as a result.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #26
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Might I add that if you're going to buy a couple more pounds of malt at your LHBS, why not just get more Pilsner malt and stick closer to the recipe? Just a thought.

Hopefully you'll be happy with this beer, even at 5%.

It's a great tasting sessionable beer, perfect with some friends and the sun on your back. That's when you appreciate the balance in this beer. Cheers!

Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #27
Powers
Recipes 

i ended up getting this pretty spot on to your specs. it's been about 10 days in primary, and there's still a krausen and it's pretty cloudy. i went with wyeast 2565. i'll probably let it sit through the weekend and then try to get 3 weeks of lagering.

EDIT: For the first week, the primary held steady at about 61 degrees. with some warmer weather my basement must have adjusted, so the last 3 days it's been at 63-64. seems pretty good for the style.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 AM   #28
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers
i ended up getting this pretty spot on to your specs. it's been about 10 days in primary, and there's still a krausen and it's pretty cloudy. i went with wyeast 2565. i'll probably let it sit through the weekend and then try to get 3 weeks of lagering.

EDIT: For the first week, the primary held steady at about 61 degrees. with some warmer weather my basement must have adjusted, so the last 3 days it's been at 63-64. seems pretty good for the style.
Sounds good so far! That WY2565 takes a while to clear up, so give it some time while lagering.

Let me know what you think once you taste it!

TB
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #29
Powers
Recipes 

i racked this to a secondary two days ago for lagering. it finished at 1.010, right in line with the specs. when i checked the gravity, i got a mouthful to taste and IT WAS INCREDIBLE! i could have poured a glass of the flat, green beer and enjoyed it thoroughly.

still alot of yeast in suspension, much of which has fallen out after two days below 40 degrees. i will kind of miss it when it falls but, this is a beer for public consumption at a cancer benefit, so it shall be clear. and it has 3 weeks to clear, so it should be in good shape.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #30
Powers
Recipes 

I'm patting myself on the back for buying double ingredients. Couldn't handle letting it all go to charity and not getting any for myself. I'm going make another batch this Saturday!

Quick Reply