Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Sterling Gold (3.5% AG, Light and Zesty)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #101
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDore View Post
Brewing 5 gals of this as we speak, partial mash style. This is my second PM attempt and it is going really well. I think I ended up mashing in the mid 150s for about half the mash. When I finished it was spot on. It never got above 158, though. Hopefully works out ok.

The spices and hop combo on this is incredible. I have .5 oz of Cascade left over in my fridge. I'm debating on whether or not to throw them in there. This one is for SWMBO, though, so I don't want to hop it up too much.

Great recipe!
It's a perfect time of year for this recipe. When the temps hit the 80's & 90's, this beer is a big hit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #102
MJDore
Recipes 

The smell coming from the airlock is amazing. You can start to smell the spices going to work. Can't wait for this one.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #103
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed up 8.25 gallons of this one on June 1. I hit the numbers dead on but I am very concerned; the fermentations temps (ambient) ranged from 70 to 78 even with jugs of ice. My basement basically gets way to hot to hold a decent temp in June. I pitched 2 packs of S-05 and I wonder how clean it will be?

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #104
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is now early september and I'm staring at 7 gallons of Sterling Gold fermented at 83 degrees with US 05. Yikes! Much like a mom who has a ugly baby, I've been working with it and playing with it in secret. I've been drinking it slowly, but it is awful.

I forced some buddies to try it on Labor day because I wanted them to tell me what was wrong with it. Words like soapy, plastic, and barf were tossed around. I still have a bomber every other day because I loathe dumping anything that is consumable. And I need the room for something else this winter. Moral of the story is control your ferment temps.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #105
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I was thinking of doing this soon but I do not have any rye malt. Could I substitute flaked rye and if so, how much would I use?

Did anyone find an ideal weight for the grains of paradise use instead of pepper?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #106
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

how much difference would there be between the German 2 row and the Belgian pilsner 2 row. I don't have any german 2 row right now!

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #107
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
how much difference would there be between the German 2 row and the Belgian pilsner 2 row. I don't have any german 2 row right now!
Any pilsner 2-row will work well with this recipe.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #108
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Anyone know if 1 or 2 grams of grains of paradise would be best for a 5 gallon all-grain batch? What would be the best time to add them to the boil?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #109
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Do your recipes call for leaf hops or pellet hops?

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #110
bjacokes
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this recipe with Pacman last weekend and it's currently fermenting around 60F. I'm actually kind of hoping to keg it and drink 14 days after brewing (having friends over), but in addition to having little experience with Pacman, I also rarely drink beers less than a month after brewing. The few times I've drunk beers young they've tasted, well, green (duh).

Seeing as this beer's selling point is quick grain-to-glass, I thought it might be pertinent to ask if anyone has found tricks for making it taste as good as possible after two weeks. I'm currently planning on gradually bumping up the temperature to 65F after a couple of days to reduce diacetyl, kegging after 10 days, and crash cooling to 32F with gelatin to hopefully drop the yeast. Hopefully the yeast ferments quickly enough for this aggressive schedule to work. I'll update as to how it ends up tasting, but in the meantime please let me know if you have any further advice or experience!

Quick Reply