Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Popcorn Cream

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
KAMMEE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm making a "Classic American Pilsner" with 2 lb of un-popped popcorn. Do you have any thoughts on absorbtion rates? Is this going to absorb more than a regular grainbill? I did a quick test with about 3.5 ounces of popcorn and it turned out to hold about 87.5% of the liquid... so I am concerned that I'll need a little more than my typical 1.5 qt per pound ratio of water to grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Didn't know anyone else was using popcorn. Sun King here in Indy has been making a Popcorn Pilsner for 3 summers. It took home a silver at last years GABF. Using popcorn in a beer is definitely on my list of priorities. This recipe looks really good.

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #13
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMMEE View Post
I'm making a "Classic American Pilsner" with 2 lb of un-popped popcorn. Do you have any thoughts on absorbtion rates? Is this going to absorb more than a regular grainbill? I did a quick test with about 3.5 ounces of popcorn and it turned out to hold about 87.5% of the liquid... so I am concerned that I'll need a little more than my typical 1.5 qt per pound ratio of water to grain.
I have not really noticed a difference in grain absorption. Popped corn, corn meal or base malt all seem to be close enough for my calculations. Popped corn dosen't get sticky like wheat or rye. I can loose some runnoff to those types of adjuncts but not corn.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe I'll just give it a go and try my normal amounts and make it up in the sparge if needed. It sounds like you're happy with it and the pictures seem to suggest that it'll absorb a normal amount of water so I'll leave my worries, relax and have a homebrew.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
AndytheBeave
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

This looks really interesting. I am going to brew this today but I am going to use washed S-04 and NB hops (as that is all I have on hand today). I was also thinking of adding a pound of biscuit malt (as I am addicted to it) for a bit more character. I will post the results if I don't bugger it up.

Quick Reply