Notatalla Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
29 days 63 F
Tasting Notes
Clean pilsnerish ale
10 lbs Golden Promise
2 1/2 lbs Maris Otter
4 Oz Munich

35 g Magnum @ 75 mins
28 g Hallertauer @ 20
28 g Hallertauer @ 15
28 g Sazz @ 10
28 g Sazz @ 5

This is a lovely lagery ale with enough hop bitterness and presence to make it interesting but still very approachable for those light lager types.

Mashed at 148 F, fermented long and cool - 63 f for 4 weeks, the last 4 days cooled it to 40 f or so. Came out nice and clear and light and spritzy and perfect!

You really can't call this a kolsch. Its OG is a bit high, the IBU's are double what's allowed, and you didn't use a kolsch yeast (its an ale yeast).

I'm not saying its a bad beer, but its not a kolsch, more like a highly hopped blonde ale.

What other grain could I use/substitute instead of the 10 lbs of Golden Promise? Also, is their a good substitute for for Magnum hops? There is no LHBS within 90 minutes from where I live.

I'd sub Pilsner for the Golden Promise and any smooth bittering hop for 38 or so IBUs at 75 mins.

You could also try all MO + the Munich (I'd then cut the Munich down to 2 Oz probably.)

Make sure you boil 90 mins and ferment cool.

Cheers!

How about using Nugget hops instead of Magnum? I have plenty of Pilsner malt on hand to crush and use. Any recommendations on fermentation temperatures for using S-04? I have not yet used this yeast.

I'm slightly redoing the recipe next week: all GP, Vienna instead of Munich. I'm calling it notatalla pils.

I have a ton of beer in kegs I won't be able to drink so this will sit and condition (lager if you will...) for 6 weeks or so just in time for the sun to come out again (woohoo!)

Done. 10 lbs GP, 1/4 lb Vienna, 1 oz each Norther Brewer at 60, Tettnanger @ 20, Hallertauer @ 15, Tettnanger @ 10, Hallertauer @ 5 for 52 IBUs (Rager) and 1.052 OG 95 mins boil (I hate DMS) and S-04 for yeast. It is buisy fermenting at a civilized rate at 64 F.

Back