Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #551
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok - I am home now..... Mine is like Burton On Trent....

Quote:
Burton-on-Trent - Compared to London, the calcium and sulfate are remarkably high, but the hardness and alkalinity are balanced to nearly the degree of Pilsen. The high level of sulfate and low level of sodium produce an assertive, clean hop bitterness. Compared to the ales of London, Burton ales are paler, but much more bitter, although the bitterness is balanced by the higher alcohol and body of these ales.
No matter what the water, my ML Clone tasted damn good and better than Miller Lite any day.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #552
Fredderick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Ok - I am home now..... Mine is like Burton On Trent....

No matter what the water, my ML Clone tasted damn good and better than Miller Lite any day.
Thank you!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #553
-MG-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Schlenkerla -

Not being familiar with AE or ever used it before. What is the benefit to adding it to the mash as well? How much do you add for your batch size? What can you expect?

Also, have you tried not dry hopping it? If you are thinking about using this beer for your bum friends who just want to play beer pong, would skipping a dry hop make sense?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #554
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Seems that my carboy has developed a big crack in the bottom and needs to be replaced. Is there a recommended way to add the AE to the primary fermentor at 2 weeks?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #555
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG- View Post
Schlenkerla -

Not being familiar with AE or ever used it before. What is the benefit to adding it to the mash as well? How much do you add for your batch size? What can you expect?

Also, have you tried not dry hopping it? If you are thinking about using this beer for your bum friends who just want to play beer pong, would skipping a dry hop make sense?
You can get better mash efficiency or a higher starting gravity before boiling. I would just add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of mash liquor.

If you want it cheaper you can leave the dry hopping out, especially if they may not like it that much or the taste of hops period. If you plan to drink a bunch of you might do so. You'll like it either way. It just might be easier to leave it off and use your hops for something else. Especially if you have pellets to use. Leaf hops are better for dry hopping due the less particles in the 2ndary as pellets tend to break up into a powdery sediment. Leaf hops either float or sink, and they are virtually no problem during racking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Seems that my carboy has developed a big crack in the bottom and needs to be replaced. Is there a recommended way to add the AE to the primary fermentor at 2 weeks?
Pop off the cap and add it with a funnel and spoon. If you have some distilled water you could re-hydrate it with something like a 1/4 cup of ambient distilled water and pour it into your fermenter. I think either way would work, the reconstituted method might be dissolve in quicker. The later is the way I would do it so you would not have to think of mixing it at all.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #556
-MG-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this last night. Did a little better than my numbers with adding the AE to mash. I accomplished 89% efficiency (normal around 85% for me). I mean't to add some crystal 10L to darken it but forgot!

I repitched some washed yeast from a blonde ale I made before (us-05) and checked this morning and while not a lot of activity yet, the blow off tube did give me a bubble. I expected those guys to get moving quicker since it was plenty of yeast slurry.

The only thing I am worried about is my last batch had pentainedione, which is a honey like and buttery taste (but very mild). I've had this issue with some of my batches so this time I did aerate the wort with 100% oxygen to hopefully help the yeasties and I'm wondering if the AE would clean that up too? We'll see, I'm excited for this!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #557
qrb912
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sure is...LOL They use the same hopps 3 times. LOL

Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #558
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG- View Post
Brewed this last night. Did a little better than my numbers with adding the AE to mash. I accomplished 89% efficiency (normal around 85% for me). I mean't to add some crystal 10L to darken it but forgot!

I repitched some washed yeast from a blonde ale I made before (us-05) and checked this morning and while not a lot of activity yet, the blow off tube did give me a bubble. I expected those guys to get moving quicker since it was plenty of yeast slurry.

The only thing I am worried about is my last batch had pentainedione, which is a honey like and buttery taste (but very mild). I've had this issue with some of my batches so this time I did aerate the wort with 100% oxygen to hopefully help the yeasties and I'm wondering if the AE would clean that up too? We'll see, I'm excited for this!
The AE if used in the secondary will clean up complex sugars that are in adjuncts corn, rice, oats, and wheat.

As for other types of off flavors I can't say it will do anything. But, ferment then secondary, prime and age. That said, cold or warm aging can work miracles.

So be sanitary, methodical and have patience. You will make defect free beer most of the time.

I'm sure you know this since you are an AG'r. Doesn't hurt to remind yourself of this.

This beer will have weird carbonic and patched taste after kegging. If you bottle and drink right away you might taste residual AE. This is the parched taste that disappears in days.

Hope you like it.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #559
Fredderick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Miller Lite Clone - Triple Hopped - AG

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.030 Plato: 7.68
Anticipated SRM: 2.0
Anticipated IBU: 17.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 18.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.85 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.022 SG 5.64 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
36.4 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
31.8 1.75 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) America 1.035 2
31.8 1.75 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.60 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 17.0 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Amylase Enzyme 14 Days( 2ndary fermenter)

Yeast
-----

Fermentis US-05 Safale (For Summer brewing)
Chuck's version calls for Wyeast 2007

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 5.50
Water Qts: 7.43 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.86 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.35 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 147 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 175 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 175 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.30 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----

The enzyme goes in the 2ndary - DON'T FORGET THIS!!!!

The enzyme makes it dry, so its clean and crisp, plus it boosts the alcohol.

I needed a blow-off on my secondary. It bubbled like crazy for a week.

Awards
------

Served two types at the Des Moines Jimmy Carter Happy Hour both types lasted about 75 minutes.

1st Batch All Cascade

2nd Batch Combination of German Noble Hops

Extract Version:

The book has an extract recipe if you want to try this. To me its not really the same thing since it uses rice. I have not made the extract version. It prolly very close to being more like Bud Light. If you use the AE in the 2ndary it will be very clean and crisp. Beginners should use the S-05 ale yeast ferment as normal with a 2ndary, and then cold condition the bottles for several weeks 3-6 weeks.
I am brewing this tomorrow... I am using Wyeast 2007...my first lager

I was wondering what temp I need to get my wort in order to pitch the lager yeast... I will ferment at 52...

Also, any idea how a starter made from Pilsen light dme will affect the overall flavor of the beer... It's only a 1.2 liter starter

Thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #560
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

A starter that size is not a problem. Let your beer ferment at the yeast mfg'r recommended median fermentation temps until it's going full bore for a few days then let it run out at the low end of the recommended temp. Roughly for three weeks.

You should read the on line website http://www.howtobrew.com

Look at making your first lager.

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply