Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #531
redspy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just transferred to secondary. 1.010 before adding amalyse. OG was 1.020, low compared to the recipe. I'm expecting low abv which sucks. About 3%, assuming a good 2ndary ferment. It started action 45 mins after the transfer. Tastes amazing though. Me and my cousin both enjoyed the sample. Great color and taste. Probably won't make this again. Just based on my home brew set up. I don't think my equipment works well with this light of a beer. I wish I had a more efficient set up. Because I would brew this on the regular assuming I had the right equipment for it. I will post again with my final verdict though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #532
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sounds like you need to add another 1 pound of grain next time and make sure you end up with 5.50 gals not 6. 1.020 for an OG is really low.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #533
redspy
Recipes 

Yeah I think you're right about the grain. I think I fudged my mash a bit. I added about 4 gallons instead of the 2 it calls for. I was worried it wasn't enough water. I dunno if that makes a big difference or not. I ended up with less than 5 gallons actually, which I thought would help me out. Guess not.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #534
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Always have some DME on hand for low mash efficiency. Also it helps to do the starch-iodine mash conversion test to make sure you have converted completely before mashing out.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #535
redspy
Recipes 

A week later and still 1.010. Anything else I can do to help up the abvs?

edit.

If there is nothing more I can do, would it matter if I kegged it for tomorrow? It tastes really good but I don't wanna mess with it if it has a chance of getting better.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #536
shadows69
Recipes 

Did you add 1.00 Tsp Amylase Enzyme Redspy? If not that will drop it down for 7 days. Mash temp needs to be low 150 F degrees at most. 148F being even better.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #537
redspy
Recipes 

I did add the Amylase for 7 days. I ended up kegging it last night. Still delicious and potent enough for me!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #538
shadows69
Recipes 

That's what it's all about whatever works for you.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #539
heavyfeet
Recipes 

Default Amylase question

I am thinking of making this recipe but I've never used amylase enzyme in a secondary fermenter. Can anyone explain why it's used in the secondary rather than the primary fermenter? Seems to me it would be most beneficial to add it shortly after clearing on top of the healthy yeast cake. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #540
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyfeet View Post
I am thinking of making this recipe but I've never used amylase enzyme in a secondary fermenter. Can anyone explain why it's used in the secondary rather than the primary fermenter? Seems to me it would be most beneficial to add it shortly after clearing on top of the healthy yeast cake. Thanks.
I don’t know the exact answer but I seem to agree with you.

In my current batch I added the amylase to the secondary of the first 5 gallons and primary to the second 5 gallons. The first 5 gallons took about 2 weeks to get down from 1.010 to 1.004 (where I felt it tasted good and kegged it). The second 5 gallons I just added amylase to primary on Sunday so I haven’t taken a hydro reading yet.

I’ll take one tonight and report back.

On the third 5 gallons (hooray from small grain bills that I can make 15 gallon batches!) I used a Kolsch yeast and will not be adding the amylase to primary since I am planning on harvesting the yeast. Not sure if the amylase would affect harvesting but I don’t really want to take the chance.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply