Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #421
bink00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I just racked this recipe to secondary. It stopped at 1.07 in the primary. Within 2 minutes of racking on top of the amalese enzyme it was bubbling pretty good. And thats thru my blow off tube and about 1.5 gallons of head space in the better bottle. I got about 4.5 gallons into the secondary. It had a fruity smell though and is the color of lemonade. We will see how it turns out.

edit: the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good I thought. i didnt detect a corn twang or anything. Then again a noob. I cant wait to have it dry hopped and carbed up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #422
haeffnkr
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink00 View Post
I just racked this recipe to secondary. It stopped at 1.07 in the primary. Within 2 minutes of racking on top of the amalese enzyme it was bubbling pretty good. And thats thru my blow off tube and about 1.5 gallons of head space in the better bottle. I got about 4.5 gallons into the secondary. It had a fruity smell though and is the color of lemonade. We will see how it turns out.

edit: the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good I thought. i didnt detect a corn twang or anything. Then again a noob. I cant wait to have it dry hopped and carbed up.
What yeast did you use?
What temp was the primary fermentation done at?
What temp is the secondary now?

thanks Kevin

Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #423
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
What yeast did you use?
What temp was the primary fermentation done at?
What temp is the secondary now?

thanks Kevin

I used Safale 05. I just cut the package and dumped it in. It sat in the primary at 66-68 degrees for 7 days and the secondary will do the same thing! My OG was 1.030 btw.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #424
Matasata
Recipes 

Well.... I'll never dry hop with fuggles again. The beer tastes ok, but the fuggles flavor and aroma is killing it for me. Also, the yeast got it to 1.006 and the enzyme got it to 1.000. Think it would be possible to redry hop with cascade in the keg or a noble hop? The bitterness is on target but it has a slightly spicy quality much like grains of paradise if you've ever had the Sam Adams beer with that in it. Maybe that's what fuggles if for I dunno, but I am not a fan.

The twin batch with lager yeast and cascade already tastes great and smells incredible. The lager yeast got it to 1.002 without the enzyme. It is currently 1 week on the enzyme and another oz of cascade. I'm giving it two weeks till a take another sample. I had enough extra to put together a 6'er without dry hop or enzyme. Can't wait to do a side by side.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #425
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matasata View Post
Well.... I'll never dry hop with fuggles again. The beer tastes ok, but the fuggles flavor and aroma is killing it for me. Also, the yeast got it to 1.006 and the enzyme got it to 1.000. Think it would be possible to redry hop with cascade in the keg or a noble hop? The bitterness is on target but it has a slightly spicy quality much like grains of paradise if you've ever had the Sam Adams beer with that in it. Maybe that's what fuggles if for I dunno, but I am not a fan.

The twin batch with lager yeast and cascade already tastes great and smells incredible. The lager yeast got it to 1.002 without the enzyme. It is currently 1 week on the enzyme and another oz of cascade. I'm giving it two weeks till a take another sample. I had enough extra to put together a 6'er without dry hop or enzyme. Can't wait to do a side by side.
FWIW- I don't like fuggles either. I don't see them as an aroma hop. Just bittering if you ask me.

Seriously, anything dry hopped will not be like miller light. They advertise triple hopping. Anybody, who has tasted miller light knows its not triple hopped.

The key here is to use a hop that you like and know it tastes good, and not over do the dry hopping.

The good thing is that with age fuggles will taste less fuggle-like with time.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #426
ac1971
Recipes 

Schlenkerla,,,,,sorry to ask something that probably already asked...bu when are the hop additions made...just started brewing ....1st batch just bottled and just orded kegging equip...but want to make the best beer i can...Thank you for your time.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #427
dawgmatic
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1971
Schlenkerla,,,,,sorry to ask something that probably already asked...bu when are the hop additions made...just started brewing ....1st batch just bottled and just orded kegging equip...but want to make the best beer i can...Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla

0.60 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 17.0 60 min.

1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.

1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop
Boil .6 oz for 60 min.
Add 1 oz at flameout
Dryhop 1 oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #428
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1971 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmatic View Post
Boil .6 oz for 60 min.
Add 1 oz at flameout
Dryhop 1 oz
You boil for 90 minutes total
- when you have 60 minutes left to boil do the first addition
- when the time is up add the 1oz
- When you transfer the beer from the primary fermentor you siphon onto the last set up hops in the 2nd fermentor.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #429
twheelz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Anybody who has tasted miller light knows its not triple hopped.
Sure it is - they use three pellets in every 55-gallon batch!! On a serious note, I'm wondering how this would be with some lime. Call me a pansy but I like the Miller Chill after golfing or mowing. I may do something with this soon...

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #430
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twheelz View Post
Sure it is - they use three pellets in every 55-gallon batch!! On a serious note, I'm wondering how this would be with some lime. Call me a pansy but I like the Miller Chill after golfing or mowing. I may do something with this soon...
Probably good with some lime....

I used sorachi ace and got it with lemon taste. There's a lime flavored hop out there. Not sure what it is though.

Zest a lime and add it to the 2ndary or prime with boiled zest and sugar. Or do a late addition at 5 to 0 minutes in the boil.

Try zesting a lime.

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply