Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #401
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbt View Post
What about sparge water?? Do you treat that to? Your sparging with 5.5gal total. Because of the small grain bill I'm sure the ph is not changing much.
Yes, my water is or was about 7.5 so this helps.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #402
jprice
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice recipe. I had altered it a bit by going 5 pds 2-row, 2 pds of corn, 1/2oz. cascade at 60min., 1/2 cascade at flame out, and i think mashed at 145. Hit an OG of 1.032 and finished at .998 with the help of beano because the LHBS didn't carry amylase. I stuck the secondary in the fridge for a day to cold crash it and warmed it back up for a day before bottling. Bottles will hit the 2 week mark tomorrow...and i'm already half way through them lol. Good beer. The hops are there,(which im surprised about at only 1 oz. of cascade) but its not overly hoppy. This brew only costs about $10.00/5gallon batch considering im buying 2-row in bulk and saving/washing the yeast. I will be brewing this every other brew session from now on. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #403
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi,

Just made this recipe today -
play by play here -
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/1st-beer-attempt-ever-lots-pics-biab-291598/

I used .5 oz of hallertau and .5 oz of cascade for 60 minutes.
Hope this will not over power my first brew.

thoughts of my hop selection?

thanks Kevin

Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #404
Fuse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I can find it again

Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #405
Matasata
Recipes 

Brewed this twice yesterday. The beer budget was raided due to the holidays so I used what I had on hand. Should be close I hope.
Both batches were all 2-row (5lb 4oz) with 4oz of Victory.

Batch one is using 3 gen S-33 and Fuggles for bittering(18 IBU) and dry hop.
Batch two is using 2nd gen W-34/70 and cascade for bittering(18 IBU) and dry hop.

Since batch #2 is using a lager yeast will the enzyme addition be done in the same way? I have not seen that anyone has tried this with a lager yeast.
I am thinking 2 weeks in primary, or when the gravity gets around 1.005, then rack onto the enzyme.

Note: I normally do not reuse dry yeast, but I have plenty of grain/hops, the ability to drink, and not any funds for a few weeks to buy more supplies.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #406
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
Hi,

Just made this recipe today -
play by play here -
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/1st-beer-attempt-ever-lots-pics-biab-291598/

I used .5 oz of hallertau and .5 oz of cascade for 60 minutes.
Hope this will not over power my first brew.

thoughts of my hop selection?

thanks Kevin
If your bitterness is on target you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matasata View Post
Brewed this twice yesterday. The beer budget was raided due to the holidays so I used what I had on hand. Should be close I hope.

Batch two is using 2nd gen W-34/70 and cascade for bittering(18 IBU) and dry hop.

Since batch #2 is using a lager yeast will the enzyme addition be done in the same way? I have not seen that anyone has tried this with a lager yeast.
I am thinking 2 weeks in primary, or when the gravity gets around 1.005, then rack onto the enzyme.

Note: I normally do not reuse dry yeast, but I have plenty of gr
ain/hops, the ability to drink, and not any funds for a few weeks to buy more supplies.
I think you are ok too. The enzyme allows it to hit 1.0000.

According to Charlie Papazian, this is what miller does. Not sure if it's really a lager or an ale. My guess it once was a cool fermenting lager. Who knows now.

I think it let's the yeast scrub the beer of remnant complex sugars thus eliminating the need for a dyasital rest.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #407
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm going to brew this extract version for my 2nd or 3rd brew with a full boil. I have 3# extra light DME, 2# of rice solids, saf-05, 2 oz of Crystal hop pellets @ 4.3 %AAU on hand, and the amylase on the way. Any tips to get the right Ibu's here? Also, I will be bottling so is this the standard carbing and conditioning?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #408
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtisbuck View Post
I'm going to brew this extract version for my 2nd or 3rd brew with a full boil. I have 3# extra light DME, 2# of rice solids, saf-05, 2 oz of Crystal hop pellets @ 4.3 %AAU on hand, and the amylase on the way. Any tips to get the right Ibu's here? Also, I will be bottling so is this the standard carbing and conditioning?
Definitely use an IBU calculator to 16-18 IBU mark. That's if you want a light balanced beer. Otherwise with such a small quantity of fermentables it could be easy to under/over shoot your target. It would drastically change utilization. Then couple it with the variable of different alpha acids of the hops.... Calculate the ounces of 60 minute hop addition in order to hit the IBU target.

Try this if you don't have software; The Beer Recipator - Home

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #409
Matasata
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matasata

Update:

Batch #1 I took a hydro sample today and WOW! From 1.031(shooting for 1.030) to 1.006 from saturday afternoon till today. I think I seriously over pitched my slurry. The sample tastes really mild with a faint hint of the fuggles and no off flavors. The stick on therm is shot so I believe it was fermented at 70-75ish. Think I should leave it a week in primary still or go to secondary with the enzyme?

Batch #2 It is still churning away in the fridge. It is at 47F so I know it is not done yet. Still getting the normal sulphur smell of lager fermentation.

Question: Is the corn in the original just to save on cost per batch? Since I've read where some disliked the "corn" taste pre enzyme and it doesn't seem to matter post enzyme.

Really glad you put this info out there.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #410
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matasata View Post
Update:

Batch #1 I took a hydro sample today and WOW! From 1.031(shooting for 1.030) to 1.006 from saturday afternoon till today. I think I seriously over pitched my slurry. The sample tastes really mild with a faint hint of the fuggles and no off flavors. The stick on therm is shot so I believe it was fermented at 70-75ish. Think I should leave it a week in primary still or go to secondary with the enzyme?

Batch #2 It is still churning away in the fridge. It is at 47F so I know it is not done yet. Still getting the normal sulphur smell of lager fermentation.

Question: Is the corn in the original just to save on cost per batch? Since I've read where some disliked the "corn" taste pre enzyme and it doesn't seem to matter post enzyme.

Really glad you put this info out there.
Right, after a week rack to the secondary on top of the enzyme. The beer will be close to 1.005 nearly every time with a slight corn taste. The last several points get consumed by the yeast as the enzyme breaks it down. When it is at 1.0000 the corn taste will be gone. Yes the corn is a an adjunct to lighten the beer and it's consequently very cheap. This is historical for old American Breweries.

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply