Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #391
ColeBeer78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The sparge is what I was getting confused on. I would imagine that amount will vary based on my equipment? Dead spaces and such..... I'm gonna attempt to punch this into beersmith and convert it to a 10gal batch and see how it goes. This will be my first time constructing a recipe in beersmith, and this will be my first all-grain batch. I figure its a good affordable beer to test out my new rig on... Thanks! Wish me luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #392
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 6

FYI - To make things very easy I use 1.33 quarts water per pound of grain for mashing. Then 2.66 quarts per pound of grain for batch-sparging. Yes you would need to compensate for water loss. Grain absorption, dead spaces, plus water loss in the boil.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #393
StinkyVp
Dictator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am making this using BIAB getting min 80% efficiency. I have adjusted the IBUs a little to suite my tastes. I like it a little more bitter.

If I left the IBU alone what style would this beer fit into? Is there a style for this?

I've made minor adjustments to the hops over 6 batches and its delicious!

What style could it fit in? Is it just Light Hybrid Beer? Light Ale?

Is there a tool to give you the style if you just add ingredients?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #394
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyVp View Post
I am making this using BIAB getting min 80% efficiency. I have adjusted the IBUs a little to suite my tastes. I like it a little more bitter.

If I left the IBU alone what style would this beer fit into? Is there a style for this?

I've made minor adjustments to the hops over 6 batches and its delicious!

What style could it fit in? Is it just Light Hybrid Beer? Light Ale?

Is there a tool to give you the style if you just add ingredients?
Officially, its in the cream ale or kolsch style categories. I'm guessing its much lower than those styles. Try googling BJCP for style guidelines.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #395
ajfranke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made two batches of this, and am not fully happy with either. I keep getting a noticeable sweet after-taste.

In the first batch, I had boosted the gain bill to an even 2 pounds each of flaked maize and 6-row. After I ended up with this sweet aftertaste, I reduced the corn back down to 1.75 pounds for the second batch, while keeping the 2 pounds of 6-row. I also skipped dry-hopping the second batch. While the sweet aftertaste was diminished, it was still present in the second batch.

Both batches did show a reduction in gravity in secondary after addition of the Alpha Amylase Enzyme, finishing around 1.007. I wonder if I either didn't add enough AAE, or if the yeast gave up before the AAE was done working. However, the theory of the yeast giving up has a strike against it since the carbonation was even and as-expected following priming and bottle conditioning.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #396
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfranke View Post
I made two batches of this, and am not fully happy with either. I keep getting a noticeable sweet after-taste. .............

........... Both batches did show a reduction in gravity in secondary after addition of the Alpha Amylase Enzyme, finishing around 1.007. I wonder if I either didn't add enough AAE, or if the yeast gave up before the AAE was done working. However, the theory of the yeast giving up has a strike against it since the carbonation was even and as-expected following priming and bottle conditioning.
Probably the most important thing here is to make sure you are really hitting the IBU target. If are getting any sweet taste its because you missed the target. Since is a light beer slight changes in the hop schedule, grain bill or mash efficiency you can under or overshoot the bitterness target. 16-18 IBU should be balanced.

Also your FG should be 1.000. You should use S-05. After 1 week rack to the secondary on top of AE.

Try to use a recipe calculator to tweak recipe modifications. Goto, http://www.recipator.com if you don't have your own software.

Hopefully the 3rd try is the charm.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #397
Jbt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfranke View Post
I made two batches of this, and am not fully happy with either. I keep getting a noticeable sweet after-taste.

In the first batch, I had boosted the gain bill to an even 2 pounds each of flaked maize and 6-row. After I ended up with this sweet aftertaste, I reduced the corn back down to 1.75 pounds for the second batch, while keeping the 2 pounds of 6-row. I also skipped dry-hopping the second batch. While the sweet aftertaste was diminished, it was still present in the second batch.

Both batches did show a reduction in gravity in secondary after addition of the Alpha Amylase Enzyme, finishing around 1.007. I wonder if I either didn't add enough AAE, or if the yeast gave up before the AAE was done working. However, the theory of the yeast giving up has a strike against it since the carbonation was even and as-expected following priming and bottle conditioning.
Did you check mash PH and for conversion? Sound like you have a mash problem. The corn may not be fully converting. My last batch I did the ph was a little high and it to 2hrs to covert fully

Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #398
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbt View Post
Did you check mash PH and for conversion? Sound like you have a mash problem. The corn may not be fully converting. My last batch I did the ph was a little high and it to 2hrs to covert fully
Good point! 6 row is also high in enzymes. If there is a substitution made more 6 row should be added or use, AE in the mash too.

Fwiw I use 5 buffer solution to make sure i hit the 5.2 pH target.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #399
Jbt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Good point! 6 row is also high in enzymes. If there is a substitution made more 6 row should be added or use, AE in the mash too.

Fwiw I use 5 buffer solution to make sure i hit the 5.2 pH target.
What about sparge water?? Do you treat that to? Your sparging with 5.5gal total. Because of the small grain bill I'm sure the ph is not changing much.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #400
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If you can wait 4 months, this beer will drop ultra clear just like the real thing, only better tasting!

They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

Quick Reply