Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #381
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
I made this and it turned out pretty good other then the dry hopping. I dry hopped in the keg for a week and it made the beer have an extremely bitter flavor. No idea why. It's like the hops were bad or something.
Did you use aroma hops or a dual aroma and bittering hop? It might have been the hops, but dry hopping, usually adds no bitterness. The good thing though if the taste came from the dry hopping it will dissipate with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
Just racked it over to secondary with a reading of 1.002 before the amylase/beano. Snuck a taste of the hydrometer sample and noticed that I think you mis-named this beer a clone. It is much better than a Miller lite even now, I cant imagine how good it will be in another
3-4 weeks.
Yeah I know, you aren't the first to say its better. I dreamt this up during March Madness. The Miller Lite commercials were driving me crazy about the triple hopping and more taste, and man up bull$hit. Not too mention, I borrowed the base recipe from Charlie Papazian. Subbed the hops and yeast to suit my needs.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #382
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Except the amylase will stop, the beano will break everything down and takes FOREVER. I had a Cream Ale in secondary for months (at room temp) on some beano tablets and after bottling it over carbed. It was like drinking club soda with esters, even after uncapping and recapping trying to avoid bottle bombs.
Hmmm this seems like very important info and a really great reason to get some AE.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #383
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Did you use aroma hops or a dual aroma and bittering hop? It might have been the hops, but dry hopping, usually adds no bitterness. The good thing though if the taste came from the dry hopping it will dissipate with time.

Yeah I know, you aren't the first to say its better. I dreamt this up during March Madness. The Miller Lite commercials were driving me crazy about the triple hopping and more taste, and man up bull$hit. Not too mention, I borrowed the base recipe from Charlie Papazian. Subbed the hops and yeast to suit my needs.
I used only cascade...that is why it's weird. It was just wayyy to strong for the beer but I don't know if the hops have freezer burn or what because it tasted funny.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #384
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
I used only cascade...that is why it's weird. It was just wayyy to strong for the beer but I don't know if the hops have freezer burn or what because it tasted funny.
How old is it now? Is it kegged? AE often has a dry patched taste when young, maybe that's what you are tasting.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #385
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla

How old is it now? Is it kegged? AE often has a dry patched taste when young, maybe that's what you are tasting.
The better was only kegged for a little bit and then drank right away. Hops only sat in the keg for a week. Don't think that would dissipate with time...think it would get worse the longer the dry hops were in there. What do I know tho.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #386
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
The better was only kegged for a little bit and then drank right away. Hops only sat in the keg for a week. Don't think that would dissipate with time...think it would get worse the longer the dry hops were in there. What do I know tho.
I was assuming you dry hopped in the secondary. I never dry hop in the keg. I think most people use a secondary. Yeah, it would be more hoppy but in aroma, not bitterness unless you were drinking hop lupilin sediment.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 11-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #387
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I made my first batch of this recipe without any dry hopping. It's been in the keg for about a week. I must say I think it was better dry hopped. I am now considering dry hopping in the keg with whole hops in a muslim bag.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 11-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #388
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
I made my first batch of this recipe without any dry hopping. It's been in the keg for about a week. I must say I think it was better dry hopped. I am now considering dry hopping in the keg with whole hops in a muslim bag.
Do yourself one better. Make a Randall. Basically a water filter without the filter. You replace the filter with hops.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #389
ColeBeer78
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Forgive me.... I'm new to Promash recipes...

I don't understand how much water to use? No matter how I add it up, it doesn't come out right.... Can someone explain?
Thanks in advance

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 5.50
Water Qts: 7.43 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.86 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.35 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 147 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 175 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 175 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.30 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited by ColeBeer78; 12-01-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #390
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeBeer78 View Post
Forgive me.... I'm new to Promash recipes...

I don't understand how much water to use? No matter how I add it up, it doesn't come out right.... Can someone explain?
Thanks in advance

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 5.50
Water Qts: 7.43 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.86 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.35 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 147 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 175 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 175 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.30 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
The quarts or gallons are as stated. The mash volume is water plus grain. So this is the space required. I typically sparge with twice the dough in amount. So about 15 quarts.

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply