Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Lemonparty (Citrus Blonde)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sub'd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
mlbco1
Recipes 

Default SWMBO Likes It!

This is a great recipe DT! My SWMBO prefers chardonnay to beer, but loves this brew. I've brewed it twice now. The first batch I dried my own lemon and orange peel. The aroma turned out a bit strong so I left it out of my second batch. Tastes great. Will be a staple brew for me too. Thanks!!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I think this will be my first AG, it will be a BIAB so hopefully I get my water amounts and temp estimations correct.

Shouldn't this be a 90 minute boil since it's using Pilsner malt?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
bolus14
Recipes 

Brewed this this morning. I did BIAB and as I expected my temps didn't cooperate but now I have an idea of what to expect.

Mash temp ended up being high at 158. My OG reading was only at 1.038/1.039. I used Ommegangs yeast and there's not much info on how flocculant it is so we shall see how far down this gets chewed. If it gets down to 1.005 it'll end up about 4.5% abv which isn't bad, I wanted something sessionable anyway.

My hydro sample tasted, for lack of a better term, strange. I would say mostly like hops but since I have never tasted straight hops hard to say for sure. Was kind of grainy as well, but that could be due to picking up too much trub. It was also very light colored, is that normal? If this clears up I would say it'll be about as light as most macro light beers.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
bolus14
Recipes 

I checked on after it was in the fermenter for about 1.5 weeks and it was definitely green, very strange flavor to it. I may get to check it this coming Monday and if I do i'll post back how it's tasting and what the gravity is at. That'll also be three weeks so I may move it to a secondary or just let it sit for another week or two then bottle it.

I'm really hopign the green taste mellows and the citrus comes out. At 1.5 weeks the gravity was at 1.012 so I'm hoping that has come down as well, otherwise I'm looking at a 3.5% blonde, but it should be better than any BMC

Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #16
bolus14
Recipes 

After a month I was going to bottle, but tasted the hydro and most of the strange flavor has gotten subdued. I didn't add any if the zest and am not wondering if maybe I should have. There's not much flavor to it, could be I just didn't get good malt extraction given my low OG.

If anybody has any advise on whether this is normal or if I should add something into a secondary I would greatly appreciate the guidance.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #17
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 820 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
It was not the original name, but I have a lot of sick internet-savvy friends who named it this after trying it and it just stuck.

Sure gets the attention of people
I was really reluctant to click on this ...

Old 08-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
waldo711
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
I used 1272 (American Ale II) and 1056 (American Ale) the last couple times, as my goal with it was a cleaner beer rather than a wheat beer. I've had a couple people say they were going to make it with a wheat yeast, which would probably be good as well. I would guess something like American Hef would be a better fit.
Any feedback from using an American Wheat yeast?

Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
bolus14
Recipes 

I'm going to bottle this today. I had my wife taste a sample from my thief yesterday and she said if it was cold and carbonated she thinks it will taste like Leinenkugels Summer Shandy, which is awesome cause that's what I was aiming for.

I used Ommegangs yeast and fermented at an ambient temp of 68 and let it free rise. At this temp and with this brew it doesn't have the belgian funkiness that some yeasts impart, which is good because I didn't want it.

As far as using an American Wheat i think the only thing you might get is a little tartness, possibly a little dryer mouth feel. For my personal tastes and given the pretty clean grain bill I think it would more interesting with a Witbier yeast.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
bolus14
Recipes 

Just wanted to update this since I was very close to dumping over a case of this. I would refer to this as a Pale Wheat rather than a Blond, especially if you use an American Wheat yeast. It lacks the spicyness that comes from a Witbier like yeast or hops that would provide that.

I made mine with the intent to take on a vacation in August, but should've brewed it about 1.5 - 2 months before I did. It initially had a strange after taste, I equated it to bologna but nobody else tasted that, just that it tasted grassy or earthy. At this point one of my IPA friends likes it very much, but it's far from an IPA.

If I remember correctly I used all Sorachi Ace since I couldn't find Amarillo hops. If anybody shows interest I'll look for my notes to verify this. But, it has a clean citrusy, subdued lemon, taste to it. Not bitter, not malty, just a good session, light citrus, wheat beer, with smooth wheat mouthfeel. I'm looking at making one or two Witbiers this year, this may or may not make the list since i'm still figuring out what I want to make on a regular basis.

Main lesson learned, don't dump the beer, give it time and you will get something that is better than you think it will be.

Quick Reply