Alternative Sugar Beer Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
6 Gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 Minutes
IBU
Color
4.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 Days at 64°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 64°
I brewed this for summer 2006 and it turned into a great lawn mower beer. Tasted very good ice cold on a hot day.
For extract brewers substitute about 4 1/2 pounds of light DME for the two row malt and just steep the crystal malt.

Honey Ale

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.36
Anticipated SRM: 4.9
Anticipated IBU: 19.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.0 7.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
20.0 2.00 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
5.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 7.00 13.1 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 7.00 6.7 30 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 8.00
Water Qts: 9.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.13 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 20

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.89 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

this brew has continued to improve, and 3 months after bottling is really smooth and tasty with just a hint of honey sweetness. nice recipe!

Brewed up a batch of this and finally got to crack a few open this weekend. Very nice brew, perfect for the summer. Crisp and clean, has a bit of honey sweetness in the aftertaste, which is quite nice. I'll brew this one again.

In this recipe, is the 2lbs of honey honey malt or actual honey? If honey, should I add it at flameout? Also considering adding some of the honey in the secondary. Any help would be appreciated. Worth

I made a 1 gallon batch of this to test out about 2 weeks ago. Gonna bottle in a week or so and start enjoying around april fools day. :) Will post after I've tried it.

Done with the primary fermentation, going to let it secondary for a week or two and then bottle. but had a taste test of it! Quite satisfied with the way it turned out, great summer beer! Going to make some more soon to have for warmer times on the water.

This was my first attempt at a 2 1/2 gallon batch in the apartment. My only mistake was that I screwed up and added too much honey! When I scaled the recipe, it showed about 8 oz. for the 2 1/2 gallon batch. I bought a 12 oz. jar of honey and absentmindedly threw the whole thing in. I ended up with an OG of 1.057 and a FG of 1.008. Honey must be the most fermentable substance on the planet! I thought this beer was going to be pretty hot at 6.4% ABV for such a light beer but I am surprised at how good it is. I brewed it 4 weeks ago and kegged it last Saturday and it is already a fine beer.

It will be a fantastic lawnmower beer but one to drink AFTER the yard work is done!
:mug:

I have a buddy who is pulling honey out of his hives and we are bent on brewing this recipe up.

Could you share a little more detail on when you added the honey? The honey I'm using will be raw, so I need to either pasteurize it in the boil or before-hand so I can add late, or even in primary after a couple of days.

Let me know what you think - it's honey ale season!

I have a buddy who is pulling honey out of his hives and we are bent on brewing this recipe up.

Could you share a little more detail on when you added the honey? The honey I'm using will be raw, so I need to either pasteurize it in the boil or before-hand so I can add late, or even in primary after a couple of days.

Let me know what you think - it's honey ale season!

I think it would be fine to add the honey at flame out.

I'm going to brew up another 3 gallon batch this weekend or next and I am going to substitute E K Goldings for bittering and flavor and Willamette for aroma in place of the Cascade. I am just curious how the change will affect the beer. Plus, I have those hops on-hand so I might as well use them up.

Back