Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Fizzy Yellow Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #71
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I kegged this on Tuesday, and took a small sample just now. It's not carbed up yet, but it's pretty good! I think I like the Wyeast 1335 version better than the WLP001, at least at this point. The English yeast seems like it made a "crisper" beer, with a firmer bitterness, which is exactly opposite of what I expected. I'll know more in a week or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #72
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Hey Yooper, how quickly does this drop clear?
I'm thinking of brewing this today at work to add to the beers I'm getting ready for an upcoming grad party on the 22nd.
I know I'm pushing it, but using gelatin to help, force carbing and a jumping to a clean keg can certainly speed thing up.
Bull

Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #73
sparky701
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did this one up yesterday and came up with 1.060. Little on the high side of what I was going for sure it was from mash temp of 156-155. Ended up with about 6 gallon after boil. Cooled it down to 68 threw in some 001 and its bubbling away nicely now. Going to try and have this one on tap for fourth of July party.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #74
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just finished brewing. Added some Carapils and used Spalt Select in place of Tettnang, have a pound I need to chip away at. Virgin run on the MM2, didn't go smoothly but came out ok. 1.049 FG, 73% efficiency with a touch less grain than Yoopers original recipe.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #75
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hello,
Not sure why this beer does not get more love.

This beer is great and everyone should try it.
Like mentioned already - This is like a BMC but the malt and hop flavor is bumped up a bit more.

I brewed a batch of this a few months ago and it came out awesome.
BIAB method - mash at 154 or so.
I followed the recipe exactly, but pulled the IBU back to 19.
I used s-05 and hydrated it and poured the oxygen to the wort before pitching and kept it fermenting at around 63 ish for 5 days (will want to keep this yeast a little warmer next time, if I use it again...)
Then I left it at 66 ish in the basement until kegged.
I kept it on the yeast about 3.5 weeks total, added gelatin waited a few days then put it in the keg.
OG was 1.049 and FG was 1.011

I will definitely keep this one on tap.
Next time I will use PacMan yeast and keep the ibu at 19 (per the tastybrew calculator I use...)

I like this one better than some other popular / similar brews I have made (but my brewing process improvements keep changing as I am learning and that might be skewing my comparison...)

The picture shows the beer a tad darker than it really is.

thanks Yooper for an awesome beer !!

thanks again,
Kevin

Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #76
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
Hey Yooper, how quickly does this drop clear?
I'm thinking of brewing this today at work to add to the beers I'm getting ready for an upcoming grad party on the 22nd.
I know I'm pushing it, but using gelatin to help, force carbing and a jumping to a clean keg can certainly speed thing up.
Bull
I just saw this, so sorry for the lack of response.

this beer drops clear quickly- but I've used S05 in it and it didn't drop clear very quickly at all in that case! I've noticed with some yeast strains that this beer is very clear in as little as a week.

I did 10 gallons of this recently, using WLP001 in 5 gallons and Wyeast 1335 in the other 5 gallons. They turned out quite a bit different, but both were good. My preference was the 1335, I think because it tasted "richer" if that makes sense.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #77
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Yooper,
I brewed it that day (6/6) a few weeks ago and kegged it a week later. It didn't clear up enough and I had plenty of other offerings for the party. We went through 19 gallons of homebrew and less than a 6 cans of BMC's.
I actually forgot about it until I saw your reply today so I just went and got a glass. It's the first pour so it has a bit of yeast in it, but I can still read through the glass. 1 or 2 more and I'm sure it'll be brilliant.
I'm surprised at the clean hop bittering that comes through in it. Firm, but not overdone. The Vienna backbone really gives it a nice balance. Great overall taste and I can see how this one would be well received by the masses.
I think I fermented this one with the new BRY-97. That's Danstars new Chico strain. I used it on 3 beers so far and have been quite impressed. I like it better than 05.
So all in all, good beer, nice recipe, thanks
Bull

Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #78
sparky701
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I am bummed did this one up hoping for great brew for fourth of July party. Turned out I must have got infection in brew as its cloudy as heck and has a off fruity flavor. Found a huge deep scratch in my bucket that could be the only thing i can think of. This may be my first dump batch. Was looking forward to a good drinker on a hot day. Must make again.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #79
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr
Hello,
Not sure why this beer does not get more love.

This beer is great and everyone should try it.
Like mentioned already - This is like a BMC but the malt and hop flavor is bumped up a bit more.

I brewed a batch of this a few months ago and it came out awesome.
BIAB method - mash at 154 or so.
I followed the recipe exactly, but pulled the IBU back to 19.
I used s-05 and hydrated it and poured the oxygen to the wort before pitching and kept it fermenting at around 63 ish for 5 days (will want to keep this yeast a little warmer next time, if I use it again...)
Then I left it at 66 ish in the basement until kegged.
I kept it on the yeast about 3.5 weeks total, added gelatin waited a few days then put it in the keg.
OG was 1.049 and FG was 1.011

I will definitely keep this one on tap.
Next time I will use PacMan yeast and keep the ibu at 19 (per the tastybrew calculator I use...)

I like this one better than some other popular / similar brews I have made (but my brewing process improvements keep changing as I am learning and that might be skewing my comparison...)

The picture shows the beer a tad darker than it really is.

thanks Yooper for an awesome beer !!

thanks again,
Kevin
that's not yellow, ;-)

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 07-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #80
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts